Panasonic AS640 (TX-48AS640B) AVForums Review

Took a quite extensive look at the Panasonic TX-55AS640E at a shop here in Norway.

Tweeked the heck out of it, but after playing around for about half an hour, I still wasn’t able to get a good result.

The black levels truly were impressive, but in my opinion the white levels suffered for it. What should be bright whites looked far more ivory-ish.

As mentioned by others here - details and sharpness were not up to par with the best of them. In my experience Philips is - or used to be - the go to-brand for superb levels of detail. My old Philips 46PFL9705 from 2010 still outshines the Panasonic in this department.

Now to the worst: The motion handling was really rather terrible. Football in HD was pretty much unwatchable compared to the mid range Samsung, Sony and even LG I compared it to!

Tried all kinds of different settings, but none of them made the motions look anywhere near as good as a set at this price should.

Think I’ll be going for a Philips 55PFL8008S from 2013 rather than jumping on the 2014 bandwagon. They’re currently similarly priced here, and from what I can see I’ll be getting a whole lot more for my money with the Philips.

Can live with the somewhat poor smart-features, software issues and slow menus as long as I know I’ll be getting a TV that runs rings around the Panny in terms of picture and sound quality.
If you can find the 8008 still I would recommend it. Beautiful TV, nice build quality, Ambilight 3 sided (hard to find in 2014 as they've cost cut on that front!), typical Philips PQ... but also sluggish (to some) software and poor smart interface. IMO it doesn't matter and it's not THAT slow anyway as the PQ is stunning as usual.
Sony I would say are on par with Philips detail wise since X-Reality PRO was changed in 2013 (the W9 TV or even this year's 50" W8).

Now to the worst: The motion handling was really rather terrible. Football in HD was pretty much unwatchable compared to the mid range Samsung, Sony and even LG I compared it to!
Tried all kinds of different settings, but none of them made the motions look anywhere near as good as a set at this price should.
Think I’ll be going for a Philips 55PFL8008S from 2013 rather than jumping on the 2014 bandwagon. They’re currently similarly priced here, and from what I can see I’ll be getting a whole lot more for my money with the Philips.
Both the AS640 and AS650 Panasonic TVs are known to have a 50hz motion instability issue. It is thought this may be related to the integration of Freetime. Affected TVs may also have a slow menu system. Hopefully this is something Panasonic is working hard to fix. If you try some 24p content the motion handling is actually very good, but as most content we view is 50hz that ruled them out for me. I also thought the pictures looked relatively soft compared with the competition.

Have you checked out the Samsung H6400? Lots of subtle detail and depth to the picture, good contrast. Motion handling ok too, seems to work best and introduce less artefact when calibrated with the custom blur and judder controls.

Went to another shop to take a second look at some TV’s, and this time compared the AS640 directly to a Sony 55W815B (Roughly the same as W805/W829 but with a silver bezel).

You’re probably right on the Philips 55PFL8008S, Loopthrough, but the Sony impressed me so much I took a plunge on it on the spot. Seemed to have superbly smooth motion handling, not only compared to the Panasonic - but every other TV I looked at in the shop. This has to be as close to TV football Mecca one can come for this kind of money these days.

Think I’m going to miss Ambilight though. Always been a huge fan of it.

I have taken a look at numerous Samsung models, jetman, and while I have been reluctant to consider the brand prior to this time around, I came seriously close to going home with a Samsung.

However - apart from they’re most expensive models, like last years F8000-series, it seems to me like their TV’s do almost everything very good, but nothing extremely well. Probably the best all round brand pound for pound the last years, especially when also considering the smart features, but for me this specific Sony model edged the Koreans on motion handling.

Does the funky looking stand allow any swivel or tilting?

Nope. No Panasonic pedestal stand will swivel (or tilt) this year.

Which is a bit pants. I dont suppose there are any aftermarket (or official) replacement stands that swivel?

If not the best option is some sort of freestanding vesa mount (for people who need swivel action)?

Hi there, does anyone know if this TV will be able to use this type of 3D glasses? model TY-EW3D3M.

I know this model is working for - 2010 Televisions (plasmas): GT and VT series
- 2011 Televisions (plasmas): GT, ST and VT series
- 2011 Televisions (LCDs): DT series
- 2011 Projectors: PT-AE7000
- 2012 Projectors E397: PT-AE8000

but no updates on any 2014 TV's, so it would be appreciated if someone know. Thanks/

Hi there, does anyone know if this TV will be able to use this type of 3D glasses? model TY-EW3D3M.

I know this model is working for - 2010 Televisions (plasmas): GT and VT series
- 2011 Televisions (plasmas): GT, ST and VT series
- 2011 Televisions (LCDs): DT series
- 2011 Projectors: PT-AE7000
- 2012 Projectors E397: PT-AE8000

but no updates on any 2014 TV's, so it would be appreciated if someone know. Thanks/
No - those use infrared to talk to the TV. You need ones that use RF (bluetooth).

Thanks, I also heard that Samsung 3d Active shutters work as well on these series. would anyone know if these Samsung ssg 3550cr model work for this TV? its (RF) bluebooth connected.

Can you get netflix and/or amazon prime apps? I can't see either.

I own the E version (TX-48AS640E) of this TV and am disappointed in the 3D picture quality. It does not even come close to the quality I used to get on the Panasonic plasma TX-P42ST50E. A lot of ghosting and crosstalk. Can't imagine this is 'just' the difference between 3D on plasma versus LCD. The review here does mention some ghosting and I could live with that. However the 3D image on the 640 makes me watch cross-eyed many times. It's not just me, also the family. Have tested another 640E (exact same model and firmware) and this one has the same 3D image. Anyone here with a 640 willing to share his/her opinion of the 3D image quality?

I own the E version (TX-48AS640E) of this TV and am disappointed in the 3D picture quality. It does not even come close to the quality I used to get on the Panasonic plasma TX-P42ST50E. A lot of ghosting and crosstalk. Can't imagine this is 'just' the difference between 3D on plasma versus LCD. The review here does mention some ghosting and I could live with that. However the 3D image on the 640 makes me watch cross-eyed many times. It's not just me, also the family. Have tested another 640E (exact same model and firmware) and this one has the same 3D image. Anyone here with a 640 willing to share his/her opinion of the 3D image quality?

Which glasses did you use? I bought the E version yesterday, and I'm very happy with it, except for the fact that I haven't yet tried the 3D, because I'm looking for the right glasses to buy.

Which glasses did you use? I bought the E version yesterday, and I'm very happy with it, except for the fact that I haven't yet tried the 3D, because I'm looking for the right glasses to buy.
I have the following 3 types of 3D glasses: Panasonic TY ER3D4ME, Samsung SSG-4100GB and Gonbes G05-A. They all technically work fine with the TV. However, none of them give me the 'wow effect' I had on the plasma. I hope the 3D quality I have is not how it is on all LCD screens... :( I have contacted Panasonic support in The Netherlands. They've escalated my issue to 2nd level support. For testing purposes they sent me some 3D demo titles today. Waiting for them to arrive. Will update here when I have news.

Hi, does anybody know what are the exact parameters which need to be applied during the video conversion / transcoding of the nonsupported file/mkv mostly so it can be played in media player? Some mkvs namely play and some don't. I've tried on my own, mkv, x264, aac, custom and default presets, but with few success. It seems to be very picky. I used mediacoder, FF and Any Video Coverter Ultimate.

Hi.

Two questions:

1- On this TV works 3D SBS (Side by side)

2- And subtitles ( srt) works fine on 3D SBS?

Thank you for help.

I've just ordered the 640E version as well. As much as i would have liked to buy one from Currys / PC world i just couldn't justify the extra £200 they were charging for 640B UK spec version. From what little info i could find on the E version is look like its identical to the UK model, i hope thats the case.

With it being European i know I need to get a plug adapter to use it in the UK or can i just use a Panasonic UK power lead? or is there some differences in terms of voltage etc?

Thanks.

I've just ordered the 640E version as well. As much as i would have liked to buy one from Currys / PC world i just couldn't justify the extra £200 they were charging for 640B UK spec version. From what little info i could find on the E version is look like its identical to the UK model, i hope thats the case.

With it being European i know I need to get a plug adapter to use it in the UK or can i just use a Panasonic UK power lead? or is there some differences in terms of voltage etc?

Thanks.
The main difference is that the inbuilt tuner won't show any HD channels as they run a different setup to the UK... other than the this, the plug and issues if you ever need it fixed/replaced under warranty, there will be no difference.

The main difference is that the inbuilt tuner won't show any HD channels as they run a different setup to the UK... other than the this, the plug and issues if you ever need it fixed/replaced under warranty, there will be no difference.

The E version has DVB-T/T2/DVB-C vs DVB-T/T2 ... Freeview is unencrypted(?) so should it really pose an issue?

I contacted Panasonic to double check that the spec and more importantly the picture quality will be the same and basically they wouldn't say yes or no, just that the E version uses different frequencies to receive channels and that the apps wouldn't work?

Can't see how it being the Euro model would affect the smart tv apps.

Just hope I can use a UK 3 pin power lead to replace the two pin one. Don't really want an ugly adapter poking out my wall socket.

It will almost certainly lack Freetime support and might only have now&next rather than the 14-day EPG.

I can live with that if it means saving £200.

It's going in my new shed that's being converted into an office / man cave so will only be used to play blu rays, Xbone and watch sky go through apple tv.

It will do the job.

I'm eying up the sony 55w829 for the living room.

I contacted Panasonic to double check that the spec and more importantly the picture quality will be the same and basically they wouldn't say yes or no, just that the E version uses different frequencies to receive channels and that the apps wouldn't work?

Can't see how it being the Euro model would affect the smart tv apps.

Just hope I can use a UK 3 pin power lead to replace the two pin one. Don't really want an ugly adapter poking out my wall socket.

Depends on whether or not you can select UK in the setup I suppose ...

Could someone tell me what type of power cord the 640E comes with? Is it a figure of 8 style, triple or the boxy type? Want to order the correct power cord for when the tv arrives.

Thanks.

Attachments

• expansys-power-cable-for-notebook-digital-camcorder-lcd-tv.jpg
    expansys-power-cable-for-notebook-digital-camcorder-lcd-tv.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2m-c5-cloverleaf-power-cable.jpg
    2m-c5-cloverleaf-power-cable.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 31pHthReT1L.jpg
    31pHthReT1L.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 73

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom