1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic and toshiba tuners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Spasm, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After enquiring about the purchase of a Toshiba TDP-42WP16 I was told that this particular model has been updated to a TDP-42WP7B. After asking the differences it became apparent that Its exactely the same but this particular plasma adjusts automatically to the brightness of the room, and you're only able to use a series 5 tuner with it!!!:confused: This seems to be a bit of a cheeky thing to do, obviously panasonic are trying to effectively corner the market or for some reason they think that there grasp on the plama market means that they can do something like this. However this brings me to the question the plasmas must have S-Video inputs and the other relevent inputs, so can i use a conventional tuner on it, with out having to buy the over priced series 5. Any feed back on this subject would be gratefully recieved.

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Most (if not all) plasmas will have an s-video input ... whether you us ethis with a tuner/dvd/video/PS2 is up to you ... although check with specific manufacturers as sometimes using the 'composite' socket for picture sync precludes the use of the s-video socket ...

there are a couple of 'generic' UHF tuner boxes available (do a search in this forum for a query last week) ... although you may find a FTA terestrial digibox a better solution ... it will have rgb output and much better digital pictures and often digital output audio ...