Panasonic and LG

D

Dark_Wolf

Hi all :hiya:

I have been lurking here for quite some time and decided to join up. I think this forum is just great. Lots of good tips and information. :D I've followed up many A/Vforums here in Finland but nothing really happens there. Just arguments between LCD's and Plasmas and which one's better :boring:

Right. I've been planning to get my first plasma and ended up for two models (suprise suprise) Panasonic 42" 500 and LG-42PXR4 or R5. Dunno if you lot know that model of LGs? I think its the later model of LG PY10. I was convinced that Panny 500 is for me but happened to see LG and a 720 demo running and I wasn't so sure anymore. Having seen that one I think I've finally found my kinda plasma. :D

Anyways just wanted share this one with ya :rotfl:

sorry my english btw ...:suicide:

Hi Dark Wolf. Hope not too dark in Finland at present!
Assuming that your two screens are both HD ready, I will pass on to you what I consider to be the best advice I ever received via this forum; buy the one whose picture quality suits your eye ie the one that you think just looks magnificent.
Hope helpful

Just to let you know that the LG is not HD ready, just HD compatible.

This means that it will accept a HD signal, but display a standard picture.

Hope this helps in your decision.

darren_eaf said:
Just to let you know that the LG is not HD ready, just HD compatible.

This means that it will accept a HD signal, but display a standard picture.

Hope this helps in your decision.
totaly wrong-both panels are HD ready LG-42PXR4 and 42PX5R (or PX5D in UK).You are mixing with PX4RV and this one is indeed HD compatable.

Sorry about that. Why do they have to make the model numbers so alike?

Dark_Wolf said:
but happened to see LG and a 720 demo running and I wasn't so sure anymore. Having seen that one I think I've finally found my kinda plasma. :D

Anyways just wanted share this one with ya :rotfl:

sorry my english btw ...:suicide:
Which one you saw with a demo?

stainway said:
Which one you saw with a demo?

Demo was running on a LG-42PX4R screen. Panny 500 was few meters away but it had a weak digital tv running so couldn't do a fair comparison. Few weeks ago I tested the panny with DVD's they had ->LOTR fellowship and it did look great but I think the picture could have been even better. Then I realised that they had connected the dvd player with a normal (cheap) scart and wasn't sure that they had even connected that to a RPG slot. :eek:

- Yes LG has too many different models I think :rolleyes: And not mentioning different names to those in different countries. And that "R" model is the better and HD-ready model. And it's cheaper than Panasonic 500 model :D

- No, it's not too dark yet here in southern Finland but in November - December it'll be. But when the snow falls down it won't be so bad :D

Yes the LG-42PX4R is also available here in Holland-it looks fantastic, but I think the PX5R (or PX5D in UK) has even more possibilities (x studio etc.)
I have PX3RV and it's great. You being in Finland probably speak also Swedish? (I know many people there are learning it as a second language)
Then maybe this one is interesting for you it's is for the SD panels, but anyway
:):http://nordic.lge.com/sv/filedown.d...0101/42PX4RV/&filename=HB07_05_Plasmatest.pdf

...Dunno if you lot know that model of LGs? I think its the later model of LG PY10...

Hey guys,

with regard to "later model of LG PY10"....: The new PY series carries the name PY2R in 50 and 60 inch. Apparently there will be no 42" model available in Europe... I've seen these screen at the IFA exhibition in Berlin this summer, they seem to be a great piece of technology.. I'm waiting for them to appear in shops - according to LG they should be available right now all across Europe.

Ciao!

stainway said:
Yes the LG-42PX4R is also available here in Holland-it looks fantastic, but I think the PX5R (or PX5D in UK) has even more possibilities (x studio etc.)
I have PX3RV and it's great. You being in Finland probably speak also Swedish? (I know many people there are learning it as a second language)
Then maybe this one is interesting for you it's is for the SD panels, but anyway
:):http://nordic.lge.com/sv/filedown.d...0101/42PX4RV/&filename=HB07_05_Plasmatest.pdf

Yes we have to study :mad: swedish in Finland though I don't have much use for it. Thanks, I looked it through and did even understand some of it :clap:
Now if I could find a test where they'd be testing 1024x768 panels :rolleyes:

LG-42PX4R as I understand is the same panel as LG-42PX5R except color difference and that memory card thing.

How does the cost of the 2 measure up in your country DW...is there much difference ?.....btw welcome to the forums :)

Dark_Wolf said:
Yes we have to study :mad: swedish in Finland though I don't have much use for it. Thanks, I looked it through and did even understand some of it :clap:
Now if I could find a test where they'd be testing 1024x768 panels :rolleyes:

LG-42PX4R as I understand is the same panel as LG-42PX5R except color difference and that memory card thing.

Dark Wolf,
If you had also Greek at shool :D then maybe this is something for you :hiya: http://www.hxos.gr/show_page.php?page_id=825&cat_id=37
There is a very poor computer translation here:http://avforum.no/forum/showpost.php?p=283666&postcount=12

??LG-42PX4R as I understand is the same panel as LG-42PX5R except color difference and that memory card thing.??

Correction:

LG-42PX4R as I understand is the same panel as LG-42PX5R except 1024x768 resolution and that memory card thing, plus 8000-1 as against 10000-1 for the LG 42PX4R. :smashin:

no colindale,the PX4R is also HD ready.They sell it here in Holland too.

stainway said:
no colindale,the PX4R is also HD ready.They sell it here in Holland too.

Sorry, I understood that was taken for granted, being 1024x768 resolution. :D

Don't know the price for LG-42PX5R. Haven't seen that one in Finland yet. I've only seen "live" LG-42PX4R panel and that was 2800€. Strangely in Germany PX5R panel seems to be cheaper than PX4R :eek:

I think I have to order mine (near future) from Germany since they offer plasmas much cheaper price than in Finland :D

and both LG-42PX5R&LG-42PX4R have a 1024x768 resolution.

- Gee, my Greek is a little bit rusty :D

I think I'm going to go to see PX4R plasma again this weekend. I'm try to somehow compare it to the Panasonic-500 model if it's possible. Have to take few DVD's with me and test the panel :D

Dark_Wolf said:
Don't know the price for LG-42PX5R. Haven't seen that one in Finland yet. I've only seen "live" LG-42PX4R panel and that was 2800€. Strangely in Germany PX5R panel seems to be cheaper than PX4R :eek:

I think I have to order mine (near future) from Germany since they offer plasmas much cheaper price than in Finland :D

and both LG-42PX5R&LG-42PX4R have a 1024x768 resolution.

- Gee, my Greek is a little bit rusty :D

I think I'm going to go to see PX4R plasma again this weekend. I'm try to somehow compare it to the Panasonic-500 model if it's possible. Have to take few DVD's with me and test the panel :D

Does the Pana 500 have a built in HD tuner?.

The 500 has a tuner, yes. In various countries it has a digital terretrial tuner too. That depends on where you are and if it's worth bothering with. Bought from Germany, there will be no digital tuner, afraid I have no idea on Digital TV in Finland. Of course if you have satellite you may find no use whatsoever for a tuner in a plasma. It might just sit there and add complication. In UK, and I guess many countries, the increasing trend is for 2 tuner PVR satellite/cable tuners, very often HD. The 2 tuners in the plasma are then as much use as tits on a bull....

Okay. I saw LG-42PX4R with a demo DVD from a player which was attached via Composite cable. Did saw some "traces" of pixels on the screen when the camera was moving sideways or in fast moving scenes but still the picture quality was :clap: l :thumbsup: I was pretty close like 2-meters away (no more room behind). I took my friend with me to see this panel but he wasn't convinced :eek: He thought that the plasma technology isn't good enough or not ready for his needs... :confused: Think he's gonna stick with his Panasonic 32" few years...

Before I go and spend 2800euros on this panel I think I'm going see the new KDF-E50A11E rear projection tv first. Since there has been lots of discussion of this tv and its reasonable price I want to see it in action. Hopefully you plasma guys forgive me this :D

- think pana 500 has here also 2-tuners...

Dark_Wolf said:
Okay. I saw LG-42PX4R with a demo DVD from a player which was attached via Composite cable. Did saw some "traces" of pixels on the screen when the camera was moving sideways or in fast moving scenes

That's what I saw on the Panny and i didnt like it at all as it was quite obvious :thumbsdow

Dark_Wolf said:
Okay. I saw LG-42PX4R with a demo DVD from a player which was attached via Composite cable. Did saw some "traces" of pixels on the screen when the camera was moving sideways or in fast moving scenes but still the picture quality was :clap: l :thumbsup: I was pretty close like 2-meters away (no more room behind). ...

You sure it was connected with composite cable? Yellow single cable plug?
Hum...not the best way to show the potential of the screen I think.
Don't think rear projection tv it will be better,but you are right-check it with your own eyes and buy what you like more :)

MAW said:
The 500 has a tuner, yes. In various countries it has a digital terretrial tuner too. That depends on where you are and if it's worth bothering with. Bought from Germany, there will be no digital tuner, afraid I have no idea on Digital TV in Finland. Of course if you have satellite you may find no use whatsoever for a tuner in a plasma. It might just sit there and add complication. In UK, and I guess many countries, the increasing trend is for 2 tuner PVR satellite/cable tuners, very often HD. The 2 tuners in the plasma are then as much use as tits on a bull....

I think that in Belgium they use also very much terrestrial digital TV-in Holland 99% of the houses has cable as a standard and the digital TV over the cable is free (you need to get only digital box for less then 100 euros and watch). There is also digital TV over the air, but the quality is less then a cable or satellite-I guess there is not enough bandwidth for a good bit rate signals. But the only use of twin tuner is that you can view PIP from two sources e.g. sat. and DVD or game console and HTPC etc....

CheekyKid said:
That's what I saw on the Panny and i didnt like it at all as it was quite obvious :thumbsdow

Well it didn't fortunetly bother me that much. Watching a quality dvd movie from a right distance might solve that problem but still... :confused:

Yeah. Somehow having a 50" screen with only 1900euros does appeal to me :D

oh...I didn't check the cables. Salesman just attached the dvdplayer while I was talking to my friend...

Stainway, you'll have to explain to me in words of 1 syllable how 2 tuners helps you see 2 external sources like Sat and DVD etc. 2 different over the air channels is all you can do with twin tuners. I don't know how it is in Holland, but here in UK I have a job to find 1 channel with anything I want to watch, let alone 2 at once!

Guys, you 2 looking at the various options, Stainway is bang on the button, you can't tell anything from a demo with composite feed. I very much hope you will do much better. I daresay the hesitant friend was right, it looked moderately crap, nothing to do with the plasma either. RPTV is certainly bigger and maybe better PQ for the money, but only if you are sitting in the 'sweet spot' and only if you don't mind the additional bulk. Wall mounting is the big plasma USP, then it takes up no space in your room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom