Panasonic and disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lewie, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Lewie

Lewie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Just bought a panny es10 and really just want to use it to record late night progs then watch them.
    Would a pack of DVD-RW's be the answer.I dont really want the time slip function at the mo just a inexpensive way to record?
    Ta

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,021
    I'm sure that would be fine.

Just bear in mind that of all the disk formats, RW's seem to cause the most problems for people.

The most likely explanation for this is that, by definition of their use , they get handled much more than other disks, and are therfore subject to more surface damage / scratches and dirt.

So bear that in mind when you use them. Handle them with care and keep them scrupulously clean.

A dirty disk can often be read from successfully, but it is much harder to write to one without problems.

3. Froogle

Froogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    you can get write once dvds for about 10p nowadays so why not just use them?

as long as you don't finalise the disk you can record up to 6 hours on a disk on separate occasions.

4. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful with 10p discs you can throw a large number in the bin , wasting time, losing material and wasting money - I definitely caught a cold with what I thought was top brand media . All I am saying is be sure of the pedigree before buying.

I have no problems with RW discs which I have used over and over again. I bought 20 Verbatim which cost me 60 p each and over a year later 10 are still in the pack. Now if I want to keep anything I then copy this on my PC to Verbatim +R booktyped to DVD-ROM.

I dont think a 6 hr format DVD is worth watching. IMHO anything much over 2 hrs is worse than VHS.

5. wesd

wesd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This recorder also accepts dvd-ram disks which may be a better option for simple recording. They're enclosed in a protective case so should be much less subject to surface damage from handling.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,021
    Yes - Good suggestion.

Even without a caddy, RAM disks are much more robust and versatile and so would be a better bet in this case.