Panasonic and Currys Guarantee's

clankyt

Standard Member
Recently bought a new 950 oled with thanks to the currys voucher offered on this site. I wasnt really ready for a new tv but i thought what the heck, there's a 5 year guarantee and at the price it came to i really couldnt resist.

However, turns out that the 5yr guarantee that Panasonic offer is only valid with certain retailers that have signed up for it. Currys, in their wisdom, didnt but alternatively offer a further 4 yr guarantee that is covered by their own 'knowhow' company after the initial 12 months manufacturers warranty.

I dont know which would be best, ie 4 extra yrs with Panasonic or Currys and obviously the hope is that i wont actually ever need it but with the problems using OLED highlighted here, the 5yr guarantee did actually persuade me to finally buy one.

Should i be concerned?

clankyt

Standard Member
The image retention issues amongst others. I realise theres probably a question of whether thats actually covered in either warranty but reading the tales of woe on here did delay my purchase of an oled.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

When Currys, John Lewis, Richer etc offer their 5 year warranties only the first year is with the manufacturer.

The fact Currys sold you a TV 1 year manufacturer warranty + 4 of their own warranty has nothing to do with Panasonic.

Burn in isn't covered by any warranty but some people seem to have had success claiming it under warranty. I'd say they are the exceptions.

clankyt

Standard Member
When Currys, John Lewis, Richer etc offer their 5 year warranties only the first year is with the manufacturer.

The fact Currys sold you a TV 1 year manufacturer warranty + 4 of their own warranty has nothing to do with Panasonic.

Burn in isn't covered by any warranty but some people seem to have had success claiming it under warranty. I'd say they are the exceptions.
For the most case, i would agree with you. But in this instance the 5 yr warranty was being offered by panasonic themselves. I checked before i bought.

Panasonic Promotions

Unfortunately, currys didnt sign up for this when they stocked the new range, opting to compete with panasonics own 5 yr with their own. I presume this meant they got a cheaper trade price? I didnt realise this until i tried to register the tv on the panasonic website where my claim was rejected. Cue phone calls and subsequent explanation.

Ref the burn in. Yeah its a bit of a worry but ill keep my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen.

Having found this thread last night, im a little more confident the currys guarantee is actually worth something.

Currys 5 year guarantee?

Dodgexander

For the most case, i would agree with you. But in this instance the 5 yr warranty was being offered by panasonic themselves. I checked before i bought.

Panasonic Promotions

Unfortunately, currys didnt sign up for this when they stocked the new range, opting to compete with panasonics own 5 yr with their own. I presume this meant they got a cheaper trade price? I didnt realise this until i tried to register the tv on the panasonic website where my claim was rejected. Cue phone calls and subsequent explanation.

Ref the burn in. Yeah its a bit of a worry but ill keep my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen.

Having found this thread last night, im a little more confident the currys guarantee is actually worth something.

Currys 5 year guarantee?
The promotion Panasonic are doing doesn't really help curries as they already have a partnership to offer 5 year (actually an extra 4 years on top of manufacturer 1 year) warranties with most their TVs. You are right they didn't sign up but it would have been better if you wanted the warranty direct from Panasonic instead to check the terms of the promotion.

I wouldn't worry so much about it though, once the TV gets 2-3 years old, maybe sooner they will not repair them anyway and will instead offer a replacement. In this respect Currys may be better since you'll get more of a choice of other brands if anything happens.:thumbsup:

Burn in risk isn't something new, its been around since we first had self emissive displays with Plasma TVs. I made a thread on the topic here: https://www.avforums.com/posts/25956891/

dion 6

I've Just bought a 65 inch Panasonic GZ950 TV from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty the first 5 years are with the panasonic promotion and the last year with Richer Sounds. You have to register online with Panasonic

clankyt

Standard Member
I've Just bought a 65 inch Panasonic GZ950 TV from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty the first 5 years are with the panasonic promotion and the last year with Richer Sounds. You have to register online with Panasonic
Yup. Unfortunately however, when you select Currys as the retailer, the system kicks you out.

dion 6

I use pro 2 and hdr dark but i view in very low light a lot of people prefer a lighter picture and use pro 1 and hdr light its just your personal preferences have read of the posts on the panasonic GZ950 forum.

Doghouse Riley

I had a problem recently with Currys over their 5 year guarantee on a Sony TV.

I say "their," because the guarantee was listed on their website.

When I e-mailed them asking where was the documentation for the guarantee, they rold me to contact Sony. Sony said it wasn't guaranteed for more than a year by them.
So back to Currys and after "threatening" them with trading standards and including a "snip" of their web page and several follow-up e-mails. I finally got an e-mail telling me that the e-mail I was receiving confirmed the set was guaranteed frr five years from the date of purchase by Currys. So I've printed it off and kept it.
A day later I got another e-mail from a different person at "Knowhow" (an oxymoron if ever there was one), telling me I need to contact Sony about a guarantee.
No one replied to my next e-mail, where I suggested that it might be an idea for the people in the department to actually speak to each other rather than assume they could just keep fobbing customers off.

As we like the set, I bought another for our second reception room, but this time from John Lewis on-line. Their five year guarantee arrived by e-mail the day after it was delivered.

clankyt

Standard Member
That sounds like a more tortuous, albeit similar, conversation that i had. The 'knowhow' helpline suggested i buy their extended warranty if i wanted 5 yrs. This is despite me pointing out that it clearly states its included on the website. Idiot.
Once i got through to the currys complaints dept. though, all was sorted (supposedly) I'm just waiting for the paperwork.

Trending threads

Top Bottom