Panasonic aerial help

ep2112

Novice Member
I recently bought a new Panasonic TV (TX-40JX800BZ. I don’t have an external (roof) aerial so bought an internal one so I can access terrestrial channels however the aerial doesn’t fit the aerial socket on the back of the TV (the socket is too small) Any help/ advice very welcome! Photos included :)

Attachments

• 99C4D38F-6196-4F5A-88C2-74E7EA2B2886.jpeg
    99C4D38F-6196-4F5A-88C2-74E7EA2B2886.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 718CF208-3124-41B5-AE8B-150E2CCCB3CE.jpeg
    718CF208-3124-41B5-AE8B-150E2CCCB3CE.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 75
  • FBD5DD1A-B213-4239-8892-B51B87565167.jpeg
    FBD5DD1A-B213-4239-8892-B51B87565167.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A7068CA1-AE8C-490C-B527-0B66FBA6113A.jpeg
    A7068CA1-AE8C-490C-B527-0B66FBA6113A.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 65

Kapkirk

If it is NEW why has someone put what looks like insulation tape round the Aerial socket?
Maybe that is why the plug doesn't fit. As far as I am aware all UK aerial plugs and sockets are the same size so I can only assume the one in your "new" TV has broken and hence the tape round the outside.

larkone

I cannot see any black insulation tape.

Looks more like the aerial has the wrong/badly made plug that is just a fraction to far out of spec for the Panasonic's encapsulated socket.

ep2112

Novice Member

Looks more like the aerial has the wrong/badly made plug that is just a fraction to far out of spec for the Panasonic's encapsulated socket.
You are right, there is no insulation tape.

The aerial fits in another Samsung TV I have fine, so I think it looks the the issue is with the Panasonic. Is it possible the Panasonic tv was manufactured for another country and maybe I need an adaptor to convert it for UK aerial?

mikej

The indoor aerial you've bought has a 3 mile range - do you live really close to your nearest Freeview transmitter ? I would try it with the other TV to ensure you can actually pick up any channels before you go any further.

Last edited:

larkone

Go and buy a coax aerial plug - they are not expensive Amazon product

and if that fits - which it should - then you can chop the other plug off and reconnect. The Panasonic has external shielding to the plug which means if your aerial plug is not built to a good spec it will struggle to fit inside the shroud. I assume it fits your Samsung because that doesn't have the shroud around the plug.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That's a standard Belling Lee Coax aerial socket and your TV is intended for UK use (model no ending in “B”)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Are you sure that doesn't fit? It looks like it just needs a little bit more force to overcome the sprung connections around the outer earth connection.

Give it a gentle wiggle and it should just ease in.

Kapkirk

Hmm, that's very odd, neither can I now, could have swore I saw it this morning after looking at it very closely. Must have been tired or some weird optical illusion, my apologies.

larkone

Hmm, that's very odd, neither can I now, could have swore I saw it this morning after looking at it very closely. Must have been tired or some weird optical illusion, my apologies.
Cheap insulation tape - dropped off in the night

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
That socket on the Panasonic TV looks a bit odd to me. It looks for like a cable connection. Rather than chop the end of the cable from the aerial, I'd be included to try a cheap male to female aerial extension lead. That way, if the aerial doesn't work you can return it.

Kapkirk

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom