1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE700E vs Screenplay 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JuJu, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I've been reading reviews for a few weeks and setting my budget and have decided that my interests lie in these two projectors. But for the life of me I cannot decide between the two.

The high resolution of the Panasonic appeals, also the front air expelling, but of course there's vertical banding with LCD. Does anyone have any pictures that really show what vertical banding looks like, I've been unable to find any.

As for the 4805, I've read a lot of good things, but I really need to go and demo one to check if I'm able to see the rainbow effect or not. But disregarding this, with the lower resolution, will I really notice while watching video (from PC and DVD player) and playing games?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    This is a tricky one.

Having owned both DLP and LCD machines, I can safely say that each has good and bad points.

The higher resolution of the Panny does indeed look better on paper, but as DLP can produce such a smooth film like image, the lower resolution of the 4805 may not quite be so important. The key is to maybe ignore paper spec and let your eyes decide for you if you can get a demo or two.

As for vertical banding, well, catching it may be tricky as it can be very subjective. I personally think Vb whilst an inherent weakness within the LCD range can be exagerrated by different set ups, from the house wireing, the mains leads, the video leads, the DVD deck and so on. (IMO). I used to have occasional mild VB on my old Panny AE300 but I bought some Mark Grant component leads from the forum and it cleared any I did notice up - and again, it was very infrequent. Of all my films, the one disk that allowed me to notice it was LOTR; The two Towers which has been considered as a reference DVD for many people - so work that one out :confused:

As for rainbows, again, very subjective. I never ever mention rainbow to any of my viewers and you know what, since owning a DLP machine nobody has said a thing about it. I see them occasionally, but like VB, the design of the DLP unit means that its an inherent issue for some. Luckily overall, I am not affected. :smashin:

:lesson: If I were to buy one of the two aforementioned units listed, I would go for the 4805, but I would not discount either on a whim. Ihave seen the 4805 running at my local dealer and was suitably impressed. Have not seen a 700 however.

Hope this helps,

Captain Benefit.

3. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a AE700 and since i've been powering off by the mains straight after power off cooling has finished, VB has not been a problem at all. VB was a nightmare before this for at least the first 20-30 minutes until the unit was hot. I am now 100% happy with the panny, and I think getting a HD compatible one now will make it a lot easier to sell in a couple of years if you want to upgrade.

4. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God this is tricky.
    Booked to see a 4805 demo, but cannot get an ae700 demo so no real comparrision can be made.
    I supose I'll just see how the 4805 takes me.

I just cannot ignore the plain fact that so many people are talking about the AE700 at the moment, in a few other threads.

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Without a demo of both, you will have to decide just how impressive you find the 4805. If you are blown away by it then go for it, The panny does have better resolution, but slightly lower real world contrast ( although the specs are the same). If you could guarantee that you would get no verticle banding, then I'd go for the AE700 purely to get the most out of the upcoming HD revolution ( it's coming!), but you cannot guarantee it . So demo the 4805, see what you think and see if rainbows are an issue for you ( just watch the film, dont look for rainbows, if you notice them, you'll know it). If they are not and you like the image( I do !) then go for it.
    The beauty of all this techno stuff is that you can always upgrade what you've got, that's half the fun. If you had the very best system from the start, you'd still be wanting something better after a few months! Enjoy the 4805 now and by the time HD has taken off, a HD projector will probably cost under a grand anyway.

6. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Chose the Screenplay 4805 in the end and picked it up yesterday lunch time. I've been blown away by the quality of the image, and it's just amazing seeing films like LOTR:ROTK this big.

Everyone I've shown it to has just been awstruck, the desired effect I believe :D

I'm projecting to a simple white wall at the moment, it's even got bits where the wall paper (which I've painted over white) is peeling, but from the viewing position this is almost completely invisible (good job too, no way I can afford a screen at the moment.

And damn having to order a long audio extension. Means I cannot run up my PS2 on it yet, well its possible, but having a 7' wide image, and the puney sound from the PJ is just depressing. For images this size you need sound that feels 7' wide.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Great news, see the lower resolution can be of little consequence once you see these things wired and fired :)

Welcome to the club. Many happy hours of viewing ahead.

Captain Benefit :)