1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE700 VS Sony VPL-HS50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PC_112, Apr 27, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which one?

The projector will be mounted almost 50cm from the ceiling.

I will be able to keep the room quite dark (blackout curtains)

It will be projected on a screen 3 meters away so a good quality image at full
    (or almost full) zoom is required.

It will be used for DVDs, X-box and watching some documentaries and movies on TV.

Where I live (not UK) the HS50 is hard to find and more expensive and the Sony service less flexible than the Panasonic one.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    It very much depends on your criteria. You only mention this in your last sentence, in which case the Panasonic is the right choice :)

3. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My criteria are more than the last sentence :)

How about PQ on DVD and X-box?
    How about PQ at full zoom?

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panasonic so can only answer for that ( never seen the Sony but understand the black level might be better ) at 3 metres you will get a 106 inch image which looks very beautiful and the colours will leap off the screen at you if the source is good, if its a dvd you might notice lots of edge enhancement depending on which one you are watching but the beauty of this projector is that you can choose down to around 61 inches at 3 metres distance therefore you have a screen size which you can alter to between 61 to 106 inches which is useful for those dvd's with loads of edge enhancement which look better scaled down to a smaller size, picture quality on the X Box is superb but if you use the S - Video there is a considerable drop off in quality for the x box games so i would advise using Scart or better yet get a component cable for the X Box.

I would suggest using normal if you get the panasonic and adjust the brightness and colour controls and also adjust the vertical flicker in the secret menu which is accessed by going to options then holding down the enter key for 3 seconds, wait 30 minutes before adjusting vertical flicker as the settings slightly change when first warming everything up.

I sit 11 feet from the screen and i see no screen door effect and no problems with the picture if that helps any.

5. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've heard that AE700 has some Vertical banding, while the HS50 does not.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The secret menu where you will find flicker adjust deals with the vertical banding problem as does the new firmware 1.07, i have never noticed vertical banding on my setup, nothings ever 100% perfect ( peek a boo screen door occasionally shows itself on my projector but is very minimal and not a distraction as it doesnt cover the whole image only a portion of it ) and the Sony costs a good deal more than the Panasonic ( i was considering the Sony at one point )

If in doubt which projector to get then read several reviews on the net and then perhaps try and get a demo of both units in action.