1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE700 - Should I Upgrade to Component From Scart

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Monkeyboylee, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have been using a Panasonic AE700 for several months now and love it.

I use it for movies - from my Panasonic DMR-E50 recorder via rgb scart and also use my xbox via rgb scart into the dvd player and subsequently through the dvd player connection.

The dvd recorder does not have component out (only scart), but I am thinking about replacing it with a recorder/player with component and use a component cable instead will I notice much difference?

Also, would it be even better if the player was hdmi as well?

Cheers

2. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I've tried both the RGB (through scart) and component from my Panasonic DMR E-85 to my projector and there's no doubt that the component is better but not so much better in it's own right to justify a new dvd recorder.

Most DVD recorders are competent but not exceptional DVD players, if you want to send a better signal to your projector you might be better thinking in terms of a DVD player. A dvd player at £200 is going to give you a better picture than a dvd recorder at the same price but this would be more down to the diffence in the calibre of the machines as players than the slight but worthwhile difference between RGB and component.

Yes you do want HDMI as well.

Have at look at the DVD site to see what everyone fancies. (Samsung?)

Go and have a look at the posts on the Oppo!!!

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You cant compare the component input and the scart input on a 700 as the scart input is complete garbage, it was much better on the 500 but for some reason its awfull on the 700 and suffers from a lot of noise and loses a lot of the pictures vibrancy, I would definately say its a worthwhile investment buying a new player with component outputs .As for HDMI Im not convinced its better as I prefer the picture from component to that of HDMI/DVI, plus none of the hdmi cropping issues or cable length problems. Go component you will notice a huge difference over scart.

4. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Also, as I'm gonna get an Xbox 360, how would I handle 2 hdmi inputs?

5. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've got a similar setup, DMR-100H going via SCART to an AE700. I am also looking to replace the DMR-100H but am waiting for SKY HD to start. Then I'll get a stand alone DVD player with HDMI out and use that, plus SKY HD (which has Sky+ functionality) for recording. Add a PS3 into the mix and it'll be HD all the way baby!! :)

I'll need some sort of HDMI splitter though. Do such things exist?

My bank manager will be less impressed :eek:

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I am aware the Xbox 360 will not have an HDMI connection, it will use a component connection....

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Did anyone say "Progressive Scan"? I suspect that a good progressive player will improve matters somewhat; more than a simple switch from RGB/SCART to Component.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good point, forgot to mention that my player/recorder is progressive scan, does make a huge difference to the overall brightness of the picture, just assumed that most players with component out were also progressive scan.

9. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers, everyone.

Well I've gone for the Tosh SD-340e with component and see how that is - not bothering with hdmi yet as checking a few other threads it all seems that the upscaling isn't actually any better than component for most cases - sounds like the manufacturers are after more money from us before hd-dvd really kicks in - I'll wait for hd-dvd and upgrade next year when it is in full flow.

As far as progressive scan, doesn't the Panny 700 de-interlace anyway?

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Yes (all pixel based devices do), but it may well be that the deinterlacer in a decent DVD player does a better job. That was certainly the case with a Panasonic PT-AE500 and a Denon 2900 that I set up for a friend.

11. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    i have a panny ae700 matched with a samsung 950 but I used to run a sony 325s via scart until I got a new samsung 950 dvd player....and the difference via HDMI is night and day.... avoid a scart !!!