1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE700 : S-Video connection problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Aquila, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I wanted to make a video link from my VCR and Xbox, which are in the front of the room, to my AE700 projector at the back of the room.
    The VCR and the Xbox have scart outputs.
    I want to be able to also use the Xbox on my tv so I installed a scart-switch.
    See a picture of the switch here.
    I've connected my vcr, a dvd-player and my xbox to it. The output is connected to my tv and the parallel S-Video output is connected to my AE700 projector with a 15 meter S-Video cable.

The picture on my tv via the scart is fine for all connected devices but the picture on my AE700 is in black and white!
    First I thought I had a faulty S-Video cable or maybe a faulty scart-switch so I connected the S-Video cable from the scart-switch to the S-video input on the side of my tv. The picture on my tv looked fine so I know the cable and the switch are ok.

So my TV can support the signal that comes through the S-video cable but the AE700 can't.
    All my video signals are PAL.

What could be the problem here?
    :lease:

2. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Do you have the picture input set to auto?

If not, then you may be set to NTSC or another alternative, which would give you a B&W image.

I'm not sure exactly where the setting is, but I'll have a look when I get home. I'll try and post info tomorrow if I can, as am working v.late tonight.

3. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i tried the different "TV-system" modes in the Picture-menu. No luck.

To test the s-video input on the ae700 I'll try to make a direct connection from a dvd-player tonight.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    None of the source devices (xbox, vcr, dvd) are actually sending an s-video signal. You need to run a single phono cable (the yellow socket) from the scart switcher and s-video direct from the s-video on the DVD. Or, add a 1:2 scart distribution amp to the output of the switcher so you can run one scart to the telly and another to the projector. This way (so long as the switcher supports it) you can invest in RGB cables for the XBox and set your DVD player to output RGB via scart (much higher quality than standard scart).

5. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, Liam.

I'm using RGB scarts already, the switch also supports RGB.
    Initially I thought of using a simple composite video cable between the scart switch and the ae700 but then decided to go with an s-video cable, which should have better picture quality...

I thought it was possible to go from a scart to an s-video signal with no problems because of those scart adapters that you can buy: picture.

I know s-video doesn't support RGB. Could that be the problem?
    But the scart signal from the VCR isn't RGB and even that is in black and white on the pj...

I've got some thoughts I'd like to try out tonight. I'll know more tomorrow morning.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    s-video simply isn't RGB so it cannot work without some sort of converter to turn the signals into SVHS from the RGB feed. Since RGB relies on composite video for the sync running a composite video lead to the projector would work.

I think doubling the scart output and running scart to both PJ and TV would be your best bet.

In a scart socket 2 of the 4 pins for s-video are also composite video. And composite video is also in use for RGB. Therefore every device is sending composite video. When a composite video signal is sent through an SVHS input the SVHS display is able to work out the black and white information from the composite bit, but is missing the second stream which contains the colour information. This is why you are able to get a black and white image. You could use a JS Tech RGB-S-Video converter which has a pass-thru for your TV and s-video for the projector. However the VCR will not work and for the cost of the converter you may as well buy a scart distribution amp and run RGB or composite scart to both displays.

7. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Confusing isnt it ! :(
    S-video is a name that appears in 2 different parts of your setup ... the small round 4 pin plug is an s-video plug, the signal that is carried along that cable is an s-video signal. Similarly you use RGB signal between your DVD\console and your TV and you use scart to carry the RGB signal. As Liam says scart can also carry S-video - the small coverters you've seen perform the scart to s-video plug conversion but not the signal conversion.

I've got a version 2 JS-Tech RGB->S-video convertor and use it for this very purpose, it converts RGB to s-video signal to feed my projector while allowing the RGB to continue through to my TV ... but ... would you believe all the connectors on the box are SCART ! :) That does the RGB->S-video signal conversion but not the scart->s-video plug conversion ... I actually have to use one of the small adaptors too (DOH!).

hope that helps :) !

Duncan

PS - I too am using an AE100 at the moment but am considering upgrading to a 700 for the extra throw distances, it means I can mount it on the back wall instead of using the portable coffee table (room is too long and thin for the AE100). Whats the 100 to 700 difference like ... how about fan noise as well as picture\screen door effect? Have you used the lens shift vs the digital tombstoning - comparison? Thanks ! :lease:

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dunk - basically when you go to AE700 (or Z3, or TX100 etc etc) from an AE100 your image will be quite significantly sharper, brighter, more detailed, much more exciting colours, deeper blacks with more black detail, and practically silent. Oh and it'll go on your back wall...

9. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing your experience on this, Dunkwho.
    It's mad isn't it? I'm starting to think that using a simple composite video cable might be enough for me for the moment.
    The main use of my projector is movies anyway and for that I'll be using the DVP900SA with HDMI. Can't wait to see how good the picture quality will be...

Anyone interested in buying a 15 meter S-Video cable? :laugh:

10. simoncha

simoncha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam/Dunk, you've almost answered a connectivity question I asked in the Cables forum the other day. :smashin: I've been watching it work it's way down the list with it's solitary response.
    I was thinking JS rgb>s-video convertor with RGB pass-thru to PJ, s-video to tv but was wondering if I could also take the composite signal from the little plug adaptor to feed my VCR? maybe splitting the audio output to both tv & vcr?

Simon

11. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The s-video cable which I connected to the AE700 earlier and had the black&white picture with, I've also connected it to the s-video connector on my TV and there the picture was good, in colour and everything. This is the only thing that keeps me wondering. Why can my TV get a colour signal through the s-video lead but not the AE700? :confused:
    My TV is a Philips 36PW9308. The only thing mentioned in the specifications of my TV about the s-video connector is "S-Video (Y/C) in".

Anyway, it seems my new scart switch has two scart outputs. One RGB scart and one composite scart. So I'm going to buy a 15 meter scart cable.

Cheers for your help guys! :hiya:

12. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Gents ... s-vid in colour on your telly - not sure, my 1st check if it was my setup would be to remove all other inputs incase something other than the main s-vid connection is helping your tv. hey - one of them things :) composite will work but will look pretty poor, maybe an RGB to component convertor in stead of s-vid would be a better idea (does component share connections with HDMI, past my experience ! :D).

Simon - composite too from a break out box - probably but have to suck and see. depends on what your equipment is putting out, some units give out only 1 of rgb\s-vid\composite\(component if available) and switch off the other paths, some don't. Composite is a totally seperate wire (and ground) in the scart pin out as far as I'm aware so I'd suspect that most equipment will always keep that available. Might want to yahoo\google for a scart pinout description

hey ho.
    Duncan

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The TV may be recognising the composite signal being sent into it's s-video socket and is thus displaying composite picture. Sounds crazy but has happened...

14. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, for those looking for potential problems with the Panasonic AE700, I'm still very pleased with it! It's a fantastic projector and the s-video input does work if you feed it a real s-video signal.
    And my Philips TV is just a very clever device which keeps on amazing me! I love it! :)
    (I work for Philips so a bit of advertising doesn't hurt :p )

15. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The s-video cable which I connected to the AE700 earlier and had the black&white picture with, I've also connected it to the s-video connector on my TV and there the picture was good, in colour and everything. This is the only thing that keeps me wondering. Why can my TV get a colour signal through the s-video lead but not the AE700?

On many TVs you have to tell the TV which format (composite or S-video) the signal arriving on, say AV4, is in (they usually default to composite).
    The side input on your TV may well have both an S-video connector AND a composite video phono connector (as well as the usual audio phonos). The luma pin in the Sideo socket is often wired directly together with the composite video phono connector - thus you can get perfect composite video through the S-video connector - which sounds like what is happening in your case.

Check in the manual for the TV for how to set signal type for the TV input you are using - I suspect that once you tell the TV that it's supposed to be S-video, the picture will turn black and white, as with the projector. (Actually it may not be "proper" black and white - it may be corrupted with colour flaring and crosshatching - this is because the TV is expecting S-video luma and you are feeding in composite video - essentially luma is the same as composite video, except for it not having any colour signal embedded)