Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic Ae700 or Sanyo Z3 for Denon 3910

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BUFFY FAN, Mar 7, 2005.

1. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I have a denon 3805 and denon 3910 hooked up to my NEC VT45 LCD projector via Component. I am very pleased with the result in progressive mode even though the projector only has a resolution of 800 by 600.

I am considering upgrading the projector to a Panasonic AE700, Sanyo Z3 or maybe the Sony HS50 if I can stretch to it. I,ve read good reviews on all 3 projectors. I would like to run a HDMI or DVI lead about 8 metre so I can get the 720p.

I have a few questions if anyone out there can help me.

Has anyone tried any of these projectors with the 3910? If not, has anyone seen any side by side comparisons of these projectors with another dvd player?

Is it best to use HDMI or DVI over such a long distance? I,ve heard some people have problems with these long leads.

What is the best kind of screen to get. I can't afford an electric one but I've heard you can get the normal ones in different shades (grey/white) does it make a difference?

Thanks for any help

2. sboast90

sboast90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 3910 & 3805 connected to a AE700 via an 8m Supra HDMI cable. Overall I am very impressed with the picture quality, no screendoor on a 7ft screen and crisp clear picture, I'm even able to watch with ambient light but prefer total blackout. I also found the Lens shift very useful and the projetor is very quiet (never notice it right above my head!). The only downside is slight vertical banding when you have a light couloured scene (like fog at the start of pirates of the caribbean).

As for cables go for HDMI as won't need to mess about with adaptors as the panny and dennon both have HDMI, also when I ordered my cable from supra they had a disclaimer saying that DVI cables over certain length suffered from drop out with high definition signals. (it was longer than 8m though I think)

hope this helps
    Steve

3. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got my Z3 connected to my 3910 with a HDMI cable (7 or 8m from Lindy). Picture quality at 720p is fantastic. My room is only small just under 9ft x 9ft and my image size is 58" diagl - the Z3 is on min zoom at 8 1/2ft and is above my head on a shelf. It is very very quiet.

I'm projecting onto a 6mm deep MDF sheet which was painted with normal white emulsion and then finished off with a couple of coats of Dulux Icestorm 6. I'm well pleased with the results - I may well have bought a screen but my image size is smaller than most standard screen sizes afaik.

With blind/curtain down during daytime its watchable. I've got a DVDR connected on 8m supra component cables also and this gives a great picture aswell.

I've not noticed any odd effects watching an image this size - I haven't watched a film all the way through yet (only just finished room) - I did put Return of the King on and was blown away with the image.

I still need to tweak the picture (football looked a bit overbright) but overall I'm very pleased I went this direction rather than plasma. I think I've got more bang per buck deffo.

:thumbsup:

PS

I'm still waiting for my 3805 (damn silver stock issues! curse you Denon) :devil:

I picked the Z3 over the AE700 based upon warranty, a bit cheaper and had read about the 'potential' VB issues. I'm sure however that both are a great buy/bargain either way. As mentioned above I think that Lindy have a disclaimer on the DVI cables over 10m also.

I also figured using a HDMI cable that if I ever wanted a digital PC connected I could just whack a HDMI/DVI adaptor for a few quid on the end without any worries.

4. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Sboast90 and 1ofaKind for your input. In the end I went out and got the panasonic. I'm running it through a 10m QED HDMI onto a 106" diaganal wide screen. The picture can only be described as amazing. No screen door. Really really pleased.
    1ofakind I think you will be realy impressed when you get your 3805 it is an awsome amp especialy with the 3910.
    What settings do you two have your 3910s at? I,ve got mine at 720p y cb cr. You can also set it to RGB. Also you can have black enhanced or not and there is another thing to change the IRE from 0 to 7.5. What's the best combo?

Thanks again guys :thumbsup: