1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE700 on the way.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by theritz, Aug 5, 2004.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have a look Here - German Panasonic site, translated by babelfish.

There'll probably be more news on this from the German sites over the coming days/weeks, but it remains to be seen whether this will use the D5 panels and whether the VB issue will be resolved. Also wonder whether we'll see AE500s being discounted in the coming months.

Picture of the front (from homecinema.fr site) Click Here

Picture of the back Click Here

Sean G.

2. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Arrrgghhh!!! Just as I was getting ready for TX-100 after wanting AE500 for ages, now this pops up. Hopefully it will cost something like £2500 and then I'll feel better about not waiting. :D Alternatively it could come out really soon, cheap and decent and I'll be happy.

3. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Arrgghhh me too :eek:

Great link theritz :smashin: Anyone know if the new D5 panels are 1280x720. I though they might be 1920x1080. CR is claimed at 2000:1 wonder what that is in the real world ;)

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    zoolap,

The site indicates a retail price 1999 euros............ about £1300 so it will probably hit the streets at the AE500's current pricing. It is a 1280x720 projector, the question of which type panels is more relevant to the VB issue as far as I'm concerned.

The question of whether one should wait for this (or the successor to the Z2 etc.) is a common one....... each year there are new projectors and one has to make a choice sooner rather than later - otherwise it's fence-sitting forever, waiting for the "perfect" projector to come along - at the price point in question there's no such thing, imo.

To put it into context, the AE100 came onto the market at about this price, the AE300 and AE500 followed, now the AE700 is in the offing (similar analogies could be made with other brands...) The reality is that the price as remained relatively unchanged and the specification available for that price has improved and increased as time has passed. It should also be noted that there is lots of choice at the £1000 mark............

Sean.

5. Muzza

Muzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A big difference to me is the design of the projector compared to previous models.
    Obviously the len shift joystick at the front, but notice the air vents have changed. By the looks it will be blowing hot air out the front...
    I'm hoping this means it has a longer throw lense than previous models.

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AE700 looks like it has all the goodness of Hitachi TX100 with smoothscreen, and hdmi.

Really it's a case of when we might be able to purchase it here (assuming it turns out to be the king of budget lcd pjs). If it's out early next year then I could wait. If it's end of 2005 or worse 2006 then that's a whole year of my life gone waiting for the next big thing.

I presently have a Sony STRDB-940 Receiver and think its great. I got it in 2001, it doesn't have pro logic 2 or auto setup, delays etc (hence I may upgrade soon), but for the time I've owned it I've got the enjoyment out of it. I could (assuming tx-100 demo in two weeks time turns out to be any good), buy a TX100 at the end of the year and enjoy it for a few years after which I'd probably end up upgrading in relation to new technologies.

Was hoping to be able to see Return of The King Extended Ed on PJ (no not Peter Jackson :D ) at the end of the year, may have to end up watching on my 32"-er instead.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The German Panasonic Site suggests a release in September.....

..... but whether that's realistic remains to be seen. My primary interest is how this model will be affected by VB or FPN........... By all account over on avsforum the Epson TW500 is substantially superior to the TW200, if the new Panasonic uses improved panels then I would be interested.

Sean.

8. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The information appears to have disappeared from the Panasonic web site. Anyone else having the same problem ?

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm really not here am I, I seem to be missing so much from that webpage. I'll blame it on lack of sleep or something :D. I hope it does make it to vendors and reviewers (and us) soon.

Also, ritz, how the heck did you find this info :D, randomn googling? :D

And on a side note of making do with my 32" Loewe Vitros, (assuming I get it back soon :( ). It has been in for repair since the starting weekend of Euro 2004. At the moment I'm stuck with a pants replacement set and don't even feel like watching any movies on it.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yip,

Page linked in the first post appears to have been pulled by Panasonic.............

Yesterday's report on Areadvd Click Here contains more or less the same information as was on the Panasonic Site.

A slightly bigger picture for those who are interested...... Click Here

Sean.

11. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  12. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone know if avland usually publish details in this way when they have some inside info, i.e. how reliable is that info likely to be?

I get the impression they are a good company so maybe this is good stuff.

13. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Blimey, got my 500 in April and thought I'd have at least a year before a newer model came out.

Have to say that if they sort out the vb issue then I will probably upgrade, and sell the 500 with low hours (less then 200 so far).

mooro

14. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmm, good question, they're always a step or too ahead of the manufacturers own sites, but they seem to be a behind the forum gossip (eg with the new Denon DVD players) so it might be inside info from the suppliers or they might just have someone keeping an eye on all the web forums. I don't think there's anything on their AE700 page that wasn't on those original Panasonic links

15. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think I recall someone saying that Panasonic UK were unaware when the AE500 was released.

16. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Operating Noise - "27 railways!" :eek:

Quite noisy then? ;)

17. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We've seen this one before a couple of times. In Germany, DB is "Deutsche Bahnhoff", the German national railways, so the fish translates db (decibel) as "railways"

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Last year with the AE500 we started hearing about it late summer, a small amount of stock showed up by the end of the year in Japan and a little in USA, then it came to UK early spring. I spoke to Pana UK one morning and they had never heard of it, that afternoon my rep called back and said "you won't believe this, but that projector you were on about has just turned up out of nowhere! Be shipping to dealers next week!". I reckon expect the same this year, Panasonic are then ready for their annual March trade show showing off all their new conusmer products.

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ...........Deleted............

Sean.

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi Sean,

How are you???

Are you on the look out for your next upgrade then????? I take it that you are still running your AE100 then, me too.
    The AE700 is starting to make LCD look interesting with CR levels to match many DLP units without the dreaded rainbow :)
    Maybe its time to start saving!

Regards

Tim

21. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How far off from 1920*1080 panels are we then - priced @ sub 2k? I presume this is the next res upgrade after 1280*720? I'm happy to slug it out for the mo on my 100 - especially as I'm only just getting into HD - as an "interim" purchased 1280*720 machine may only work out to be a stop gap and only last me 12 months (which I can ill afford to do I'm afraid!)

22. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tim,

I'm very well and hope you're keeping the same.

Yeah, AE100 still trundling away....... even though it's been two years, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (!), recalling all the "unreliability" issues that flooded the forums here wayyyy back. It has no issues, really, by and large the same as it operated first time out - 1600 hrs up now (I think).

I'm considering an upgrade, but am finding it difficult.............. the current crop of 1280x720 all have VB issues which I'm not prepared to deal with... My AE100 has FPN at a certain level, but no VB, certainly not the kind of artifact I saw on a recent Htachi TX100 demo. I thought the Hitachi was fine other than that.... the increased resolution and picture performance were very attractive. I may consider a HS20... although I think the throw distance may be a difficulty for me.......

So I guess I'll continue to look and lurk.......

All the best,

Sean.

23. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One can only sepculate on the Sanyo Z3's stats:

1100 Ansi lumens
    1800:1 Contrast
    Lens shift
    1.8x zoom
    etc etc etc.

Surely some info about the Z3 may emerge soon? Here's to waiting... :smoke:

The 2 problems that need to be sorted out IMO on the new Panasonic/Sanyo are vertical banding and dust blobs. If both of these problems are solved on the Panasonic I know where my money's going :zonked:

Any news on the release date? :lease:

24. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just some thoughts on the ae700

Either it uses the existing Epson D4 panels and is effectively a tweaked ae500 with added lens shift. If this is the case I don't see how it could offer a significant improvements over the existing LCD PJs. At best it would match the performance of the Epson 500 / Yamaha 510 at a lower price. We may see it in September though.

Or it is built around the new D5 panels, which would explain the quantum leap in contrast ratio. The D5 panel is only being released in sample quantities in October at the earliest (Link) If this is the case I don't think this projector will be out until Early 2005 at the earliest.

So it will either be a quantum leap in performance or will be out in September, but not both!

Alterantively it may be a hoax perpetrated on Panasonic (and all of us) be a hacker (Panasonic have now pulled the files off their website)

25. akarit1

akarit1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A hoax ehhh??? Well how do you explain the pics posted earlier on.
    Personnally I hope it uses the D5 panels, but seeing as they are supposedly only being released in sample quantities and this pj is supposedly going to be on general release in Sept '04,I think maybe I'm asking for too much...or am I??

26. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah, I suppose the hoax theory is pretty far fetched, but it does seem odd that Panasonic have removed the web pages so soon. Maybe someone there dropped a clanger.

If this model really isn't due until next year, then publicising it now would do a pretty effective job of killing ae500 sales until then, so maybe they are releasing something sooner, in which case I'd be dubious about those specs.

But maybe I'll be proved wrong....

27. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Details & a tentative price are here

28. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I want it NOW!!!!! :confused: i have money but I dont like waiting for things. I have to spend it on unneeded upgrades now :laugh:

29. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Guess the AE500 will be dropping down to the £800 mark or so. Maybe I'll consider one of those!

I have had my 100 for 18 months now and having watched it yesterday in near dark conditions I am still very happy with it. I am getting the need to have it on during the day a little more and subsequently feel a more brighter image could be called for, especially as the footie season is about to start!

Has anyone heard about the ceiling mounts, apparently the 100,200, 300 and 500 can share the same mount? (Not at the same time of course!)

Cheers

Tone

30. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I see AVLAND are selling them already, but i'm sure these are only backorders being taken.

When it does come out, do you think it will give the TX100 a run for it's money ? ;)

Cheers :hiya: