1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE500 Bulb Lifespans

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hatcher, Apr 4, 2005.

1. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm after some information about bulb life on a Panny AE500.

If you read the manual it says:
    If I use the pj on high lamp mode, after 1,800 hours it will start warning me that it's coming up for replacement, and then at 2,000 hours it will stop working until the bulb's been replaced. Fine so far. It also says at low lamp mode the lifespan could be a lot longer. Again ok with that.

The thing that confuses me is it then doesn't say how long or what will happen. Does it still warn me at 1,800 and stop at 2,000 regardless? Does it calculate the time at each power setting and come up with new 'warn' and 'stop' settings? Do I have to guess when I need to replace it before it goes bang and wrecks the projector.

I'm only up to 670 hours but it would be good to know now.

Anyone got any info? Been there done that?

Cheers,

Hatcher

2. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I would also be interested on that point my 500 has only 143 hours on it so hopefully I am a long way of a new bulb :) allredy got £70 towards one ( put 50p in a cash tin every time we use the PJ.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Most I had was 2500 on low but quite a few people have managed the full 5000hrs on low. Im not the best example as I seem to have a knack for killing pj's.

4. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fallwood,
    I'd be happy with anything from 2500 to 5000 (I use lowlamp for noise and pq reasons - longer life is just and 'added' bonus :rolleyes: ) but the important thing is did the pj tell you that you had to change the bulb at 2500. Were there warnings prior to this?
    cheers,
    Hatch

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No I had no warnings, you wont get the warning in low mode until sometime after 4000hrs as 1000hrs in low equates to about 400hrs in high mode. If you go ito the service menu it shows you how many hours you have run in high and low modes, even if youve never run the pj in high it will show a figure, this is the real amount of hours that you have used relating to the 2000hrs in the spec.

6. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fallwood.