Panasonic AE300E or AE500E or

harrisuk

Novice Member
Ok advice time. Just about to buy my first projector for my soon to be completed loft conversion.

I have read all the treads on this and just cant decide. Can get the AE300E for £825 new delivered or the AE500E for £1150 (Unless anyone has found them any cheaper !)

Is the 500 worth the extra £300 ? It has to be one of the Pannies as the room size is smalish, throw distance is 10 - 14ft and the screen I have got is 80 inch on the diagonal (I cant really fit anything bigger :(

Advice please chaps. Advice greatly received !

K

Kramer

Originally posted by harrisuk
Is the 500 worth the extra £300 ?
My only advice is to get out & demo both & then you'll be in a position to decide for yourself.

This has been discussed recently/regularly - maybe a read of recent posts would reveal other members decisions in this regard.

:smoke:

chic

the a500 is a great machine with some great features as is the a300, if you are going to use the pj with a htpc i would get the a500 as you would getting a stunning picture, however if you are going to use it with a standalone dvd player i would get the 300 and you wont notice much difference between the two. Th a500 will be better but i dont think you would notice it being £300 better if you get my drift. I have a a300 and i traded up from the a100 and the image is so sharp and detailed and i am very happy with it.

Best option is demo them both & see what you like best and see if you can justify the extra £300 or spend the difference on something else

mhouston

Standard Member
Where have you seen the AE500E for £1150 if you don't mind me asking? Seems like an excellent price.

Andy.T

Here I think, though didn't someone say that was grey-import and not the UK model though?

harrisuk

Novice Member
Well its UK spec (It has RGB Scart which is important for me) full UK warranty and any dead pixels and they will change it no probs. At that price I am happy to take the risk. I have gone for the ae500 in the end. A few people on here seem to have bought from them and have been well happy.

chic

Well its UK spec (It has RGB Scart which is important for me) full UK warranty and any dead pixels and they will change it no probs. At that price I am happy to take the risk. I have gone for the ae500 in the end. A few people on here seem to have bought from them and have been well happy.

they will only replace a unit for dead or lit pixels if it out of panasonic spec which is 1 green,5 blue or 5 red, so if a unit has even 1 blue pixel you are stuffed as its within spec and it will be difficult to get the unit replaced having said that i have not known anyone who bought a unit from komplett to have any dead pixels yet.

harrisuk

Novice Member
I have just read a thread on this board which contradicts this. The chap states that he had a dead pixel on an ae300 and he returned to Komplett and they swapped over no problems.

In any event you have a 7 day cooling off with goods purchased on the internet under the distance selling act. It allows for limited testing. And I will test it very carefully within those 7 days.

Trust me it has 1 single faulty pixel during that period and it will be going back for a replacement :smoke:

chic

I have just read a thread on this board which contradicts this. The chap states that he had a dead pixel on an ae300 and he returned to Komplett and they swapped over no problems.

In any event you have a 7 day cooling off with goods purchased on the internet under the distance selling act. It allows for limited testing. And I will test it very carefully within those 7 days.

Trust me it has 1 single faulty pixel during that period and it will be going back for a replacement :smoke:

yep but he had a green pixel which is out of spec thats why it was replaced

harrisuk

Novice Member
Fair enough but cooling off period still applies for 7 days. Anything you buy on the net can be returned during this period as long as goods are "As new"

Heres hoping there are no problems anyway.

chic

Fair enough but cooling off period still applies for 7 days. Anything you buy on the net can be returned during this period as long as goods are "As new"

Heres hoping there are no problems anyway.
hope so

K

Kramer

In any event you have a 7 day cooling off with goods purchased on the internet under the distance selling act. It allows for limited testing. And I will test it very carefully within those 7 days
The cooling off period isn't for "testing" as you put it. The goods must be resaleable as new if returned. How can a PJ with even 1 hour runtime be sold as new to someone else?

It's not designed for "pixel checking" a PJ & I very much doubt any retailer would accept a used projector back. They certainly are not obliged to.

Just clarification as I've seen this mentioned numerous times recently.

harrisuk

Novice Member
I see your point but never the less this is the case. It is even mentioned on their web site (And most reputable online retailers I might add) At the end of the day I have not even received the Projector yet ! We could go on about this all night but for the record :

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp?action=custserv&topic=returns

"Cooling Off
We assume you have read our sales and delivery terms before you place an order,and the options available to you in various situations.

With regards to the Cooling Off period, please see: http://www.dti.gov.uk/cacp/ca/advice/homeshopping/homeshop.htm#cooling for more information. Komplett allows 10 days for your application for a Cooling Off period to reach us, counting from the day after you receive the goods."

Remember that no matter what the reason for cancellation is, you must act within the time limits set by the law and let us know within 10 days of receiving the goods.

You can return your parcel under the Cooling Off period when:

You have registered your Account as a private person
****You have not opened/used the item or only tested the item for a very short period****
There is no visible damage or marks on the item after your test period
The parcel and all parts belonging to the item is being returned in the same standard as it was shipped out
Some special cases for which you do not have a right to cancel:

Services provided within seven working days.
Goods made to your personal specifications. (ex.: PC built to order)
Sealed audio or video recordings or computer software which you have opened.

And then

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/ecomm.htm

"Distance Selling

The Distance Selling Regulations give protection to consumers who shop by phone, mail order, via the Internet or digital TV: The protection includes:

The right to receive clear information about goods and services before deciding to buy;
Confirmation of this information in writing;
A cooling off period of seven working days in which the consumer can withdraw from the contract;
Protection from credit card fraud.
The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No. 2334) implement Directive 97/7/EC of 20 May 1997 on the protection of consumers in respect of distance contracts (known as the Distance Selling Directive).

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (Summary)

Information for businesses on selling goods or services to consumers by mail order, on the internet, by telephone, fax or by digital television
New regulations for business to consumer distance selling

If you sell goods or services to consumers:

on the internet or digital television
by mail order, including catalogue shopping
by phone
by fax
the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 may apply to your business.

Key features of the regulations:

the consumer must be given clear information about the goods or services offered
after making a purchase the consumer must be sent confirmation
consumer has a cooling-off period of 7 working days
new powers for local Trading Standards Departments and the OFT

Introduction

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No. 2334), transpose into UK law Directive 97/7/EC on the protection of consumers in respect of distance contracts. The scope of the Regulations is very broad. They cover both goods and services, where the contract is made without any face to face contact between supplier and consumer.

Many businesses already use terms and conditions that meet these regulations, but all need to check that they do comply.

The purpose of the Directive is to increase consumer confidence and so strengthen the single European market by providing an agreed minimum level of consumer protection throughout the EC. The aim of the cooling-off period is to give consumers an opportunity to examine the goods or services being offered, as they would have when buying in a shop.

The right to cancel is fundamental, however this is balanced in the Regulations by the consumer's responsibility to take care of the goods before returning them. The Directive does not apply to business to business transactions.

Prior information

The seller must provide clear and comprehensible information to enable the consumer to decide whether to buy. This must include:

the seller's name and, if payment is required in advance, his/her postal address
a description of the goods or services
the price including all taxes
delivery costs where they apply
arrangements for payment
arrangements and date for delivery
the right to cancel the order
how long the offer or the price remains valid

Telephone selling

If a business uses cold calling by telephone to sell to consumers, the caller must clearly identify the business (s)he represents and the commercial purpose of the call at the beginning of the conversation.

Written confirmation When an order has been made the seller must send to the consumer confirmation of the prior information in writing or another durable medium, such as fax or e-mail, unless it has already been provided in writing, eg. in a catalogue or advertisement. This should include information on when and how the consumer can exercise the right to cancel, a postal address where (s)he can contact you and details of any after-sales services and guarantees. The seller must provide this confirmation at the latest by the time that the goods are delivered or, in the case of services, before or in good time during the performance of the contract.

If you are providing a service with no specified end date or for a period of more than one year, for example a mobile phone, satellite or cable television or gas and electricity supply, you must also send details about when and how the consumer can terminate the contract.

Definitions

A distance contract is defined in the Regulations as "any contract concerning goods or services concluded between a supplier and a consumer under an organised distance sales or service-provision scheme run by the supplier who, for the purpose of the contract, makes exclusive use of one or more means of distance communication up to and including the moment at which the contract is concluded".

An organised distance sales or service provision scheme

The Directive applies only to contracts concluded in the context of organised distance sales or service-provision schemes, so it is probable that the Regulations do not apply if a business:

a) does not normally sell to consumers in response to letters, phone calls, faxes or e-mails and

b) does not operate an interactive shopping web site

If, for example, you do not usually supply consumers by distance means, but you agree to do so in response to a one-off request, you do not need to comply with the Regulations. However, if your business regularly handles "one-off" requests and is organised so that it can deal with such requests (ie. there is for example a mail order facility), you do need to ensure that you fulfil the Regulations.

Exclusive use of one or more means of distance communications

This means that there has been no face to face contact with a representative of your business or someone acting indirectly on your behalf, such as in a showroom or a door to door salesman, up to and including the moment when the consumer confirms his/her order to buy the goods or service offered. More than one means of distance communication may be used. For example, a television or newspaper advertisement could give a website address or telephone number that enables the consumer to place an order.

A list of examples of means of distance communication relevant to these Regulations is given at Schedule 1 to the Regulations. These include mail, telephone, e-mail, fax, printed advertising, radio and television.

We can go on about this all night chaps but this is the legal situation. You are legally entitled to test items you purchase online befoire accepting them. If you are not satisfied with the product you can return them within the periods specified providing you meet the requirements already mentioned in detail.

And as for your point about the retailer not honouring it, thats why you pay for this stuff with credit cards

Punce

They seem to be doing it for £1,050 now - wow so tempting!
Don't know how much shipping is though, couldn't be bothered registering to find out (lazy mutha)

harrisuk

Novice Member
I ordered the 500ae from them a few days ago and they rang yesterday to confirm the order and tell me the item had been shipped.

I can confirm that I paid £1145 + £5 for shipping.

Looking at the prices for these at the moment it seems like a real bargain. Fingers crossed there are no nasty surprises. Will report back when it`s setup.

booktrunk

Banned
He is to busy having fun with his projector to answer :D

failing that he's crying into a bucket... :suicide:

Ohhh the excitement... aww come on please tell us all about it :clap:

Steff

harrisuk

Novice Member
Its not here yet. Should have been delivered yesterday but parcel farse cant seem to get it the final 8 miles in 5 days. Its a joke really. It went from holland to the local hub in less than a day.

danjos

Standard Member
I just checked komplett and unless im looking at the wrong product, the ae500 is now only £1050.
I took my order all the way to 'confirm purchase' just to check no extra's like vat were added, they werent. Damn was i tempted to press that 'confirm' button :D

D

david park

Did you find any refference to the free w/s screen other on-line dealers are including?

harrisuk

Novice Member
I got mine on Tuesday. It dosnt come with a screen. The one I have seen included is too small for me anyway :rolleyes: Definately not worth Paying £250 more for in my opinion.

The price was £1050 including shipping. Projector is great and seems to be the UK model. Proper play with it over the weekend.

Incidentally Komplett sold out there stock last week (40 odd units)
Their site says they have another 20 on route for around the 23rd of this month but that is unconfirmed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

Roku announces Streambar and adds Airplay to streaming devices
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day confirmed as 13-14th October
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables