1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE300 vs Sharp XV-Z 91

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yatesd2404, Jun 2, 2003.

1. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to get my first PJ and hoped someone could me. I have looked around my budget and was thinking of either the Panasonic AE300 or the Sharp XV-Z 91 (which is the short throw version of the 90).

Tested the other day and for me the Sharp had better blacks and colours.

I have since read up more about Sharp and read that it only has a 4:3 panel of mirrors so can't do 16:9 (my normal viewing properly).

I saw it however doing 16:9 and wondered if someone could explain this to me.

Also has anyone got any thoughts on these PJ's or a recommendation of something else I should be looking at.

Generally I will be watching 16:9 DVD progressive scan images, but might occasionly fancy a 4:3 footy game.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Dave.

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Erm.........i have only seen the Z91E myself (twice:D )....and all i can say it has a beautiful picture......

I could not see ANY rainbows on it.......but on the second viewing.... i could detect a few when watching Gladiator ( in some parts of the movie ).....the guy says it depends on the source and on some you can see it.....i tend to believe him, because i watched 3 dvd's ( parts of it ) on saturday and on those i could not see any.....

My wife developed a headache, but i think the screen was to big for the distance we were sitting infront of it......i only noticed slight eye strain.....

It can do 16:9, and it does this by only using part of the 4:3 DMD chip, the rest are bars on the top and bottom...........but.......because it's blacks are so good....you hardly notice the bars !!!!

Also ...it has a bit of screendoor if you are a bit to close to the screen, but other than that, it's a gem !:smashin:

Only other thing is - after a bit of searching i see the lamps are more expensive than the AE300 ( £195 vs £250 for the Z91 ), plus the AE300 is suppose to have a longer lamp life.

If only the Z91 had a native 16:9 chip and a higher resolution, i would have gone for that ! But hey.......you can't please everyone huh:p

Cheers

3. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply.

I never noticed any rainbow effect, and had thought that is was quite rare when you had x5 spinning. Saying that I must admit that I only tried the one film.

How close did you think was too close. I am going to be about 4m.

It seems like whichever I go for I will be happy. I think I will arrange a second and longer demo taking my own DVD in and test both again across a number of discs.

Cheers,

Dave.

4. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes do that .....

If you have Gladiator...take that and go to the scene where Comodus enters rome on the chariots...there i saw a few......

We were about 13 feet from the screen, but the screen must have been about 7 or 8 foot wide, i.e. we had to move our heads to get everything in view ( like sitting in the front row at the cinema )........it has a very short throw lens !!!

I'm very picky about electronics, and the only thing that puts me off buying it is it's low resolution and the 4:3 Chip ( but even this i can live with ), and that's it !

Other than that - it really is a nice PJ !!