panasonic ae300 or ae500 ?

danjos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Given the great prices at komplett i think i will go for one of these 2 projectors.

I plan to use a white wall rather than a screen and the room will be fairly dark but not completely controlled. With roughly a 14ft long space i hope to manage about a 6ft wide picture. I will be using a DVI-DVD player

Im trying to decide whether its worth the extra cost to get the 500. Im new to projectors so im not really sure what advantages the 500 will offer?

What effect will the higher resolution and contrast ratio have in this scenario?

any help would be great thanks :)

I think I read that the AE500 has a wider lens so it will give a larger picture at a shorter distance.

To see I would use the Size calculator thread and input both projectors.

thanks for the replies, but its not the size im concerned about really, i wont be sitting 14ft away so i think 6ft will be fine. Basically i cant get to a demo of both projectors so i need opinions on what improvements i can expect for my money if i go the extra for the ae500 ? :)

See the April copies of 'Home Cinema Choice' and 'What Video Widescreen Tv'.
Both have reviews of the AE500.

Originally posted by david park
I think I read that the AE500 has a wider lens so it will give a larger picture at a shorter distance.

I get the same size as I did with my AE100

Have just got a 500 mate has a 300 we will be trying them out side by side shortly.Dont know if this will interest anyone that the 500 has not got the built in speaker that the 300 got as well as the memory slot.Thought I would just mention incase it is important to anyone.So no mentsion anywhere about the speaker

.....the 500 has not got the built in speaker that the 300 got as well as the memory slot.Thought I would just mention incase it is important to anyone.So no mentsion anywhere about the speaker [/B]

This would suggest to me that people do not use these 2 features and they are not missed.

im surprised the 500 doesnt have a speaker.......

i have the 300.... its a great machine. from all ive read, the 500 is a step up but not by leaps and bounds. for those who can watch HDTV, it is apparently a big step up.... but unfortunately we dont get that hi def stuff over here. ....

however, if hidef dvd's arrive anytime soon .... should be in the next year hopefully, then the 500 will be a great investment for that.

basically, if i didnt have a pj and had the money, id go for a 500, but thats not to say im not happy with my 300..... getting either of these babies for the first time, its gonna be one of the happiest days u ever had...

put it this way, i like my gadgets, but the panny 300 is the best and most fun investment i ever made!!!

krlock

Originally posted by krlock
put it this way, i like my gadgets, but the panny 300 is the best and most fun investment i ever made!!!

krlock

:lesson:
What he said :smoke:

I have a 500 and connected to the samsung dvi player the pic was stunning.Can't understand why peeps pays thousands for there pjs.Pj about 14.5feet from wall projecting onto a white wall had a pic 10ft wide stunning could have been a little bigger but room to norrow.When we checked the output of pj We got HDTV60 which I think is 1080 lines so i'm now saving for a dvi player.Without the dvi player we thought the difference between the 300 was not that much.No speaker on 500 and memory stick slot is gone.Tried a pionier on progresive once again not much difference but the 500 was better.I think knowing what I know now I would buy the 500 over the 300 If it was my 1st pj.If I already had a 300 I don't think the improvment you will get will make it worth it.Thanks to everyone on these forums who have given input to help me pic my panny.

best gadget for my set up has to be my PANASONIC Q, [ well until the sony psx comes out] oh and mr grimley nice to see another happy velodyne sub owner...i only have the vx10 though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom