1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE300 - Dead Pixel - A Solution

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ChrisNightingal, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I have had my Panasonic AE300 for about 4 months and unfortunately it has developed a rather annoying blue dead/faulty pixel (which ever is the correct term!!). Although I have tried to ignore it, is has become impossible and very distracting especially on dark scenes. So I needed a solution and found a reference on these forums as to how to fix it (well actually not me, but those nice people at nexnix did!)

Here is a link to an article I have put together demonstrating the problem and the rather clever fix. Thanks to those who came up with it first. I think I read about it on a thread called "AE100 Stuck Pixel Tolerance" and someone called "chic" mentioned it - thanks again!!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpdpmainpage.htm

Well hope this is of some help to those in the same position.

Chris Nightingale.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Did I really read his yellow dot was 5.5mm? Why so big? surely his pixels don't project that size? Just doing my sums here, 960X5.5mm=his image size - gulp! Thought mine was big! My wall ain't that big, can't compete.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

Very neatly illustrated - I'll add a link to your page in the FAQ, if that's ok.

Sean G.

4. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Maw,

No the pixel isn't actually that big but I found that the glow that the blue pixel caused was bigger than the actual pixel. Actually looking at the close up image on my webpage, it is clear that the blue pixel isn't totally square because it's "glowing" as I like to call it. I guess I could probably make it smaller but I have the problem of the screen not being permanant and having to adjust the screen each time so that the yellow dot is positioned correctly. And if it was exactly the same size, it will require quite a lot of precision to position correctly. And frankly I haven't got time for that. There are films to be watched!!!

Thanks,

Chris.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Too much tweaking gets in the way of movies! You'd never think so if you took all this seriously.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that's "smoothscreen" doing it's thing :eek:

Something to be considered with regard to the AE300.

"A faulty (i.e. stuck on) pixel may appear far bigger than expected. This is due to the way smoothscreen technology enlarges/stretches each pixel".

:D

Nice detailed & illustrated instructions/before & after pics.

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Think it was Tauseveldt (sp?) over at Avs that came up with the idea originally for his old Hitachi PJ.

8. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

theritz: Yeap sure you can put a link to it - not a problem at all. I made so that it might help other people out.

Kramer: Thanks, that would explain the glowing effect of the pixel - unfortunately just made it more obvious that normal!!!

calibos: Thanks for pointing out who actually came up with the idea. Quite brilliant actually. I wonder what colours will work for the other pixels i.e. red and green. In theory it shouldn't be a problem for Green because Panasonic will have to replace it right?

Thanks,

Chris.

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

yep thats where i first saw it and it worked very well with my ptae 100 so a big:smashin: for Tauseveldt