1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rickyj @ Kalibrate, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I am looking to buying my first projector in the near future, and am looking at the panasonic 200, as it be bought for a very reasonable amount, either new, graded or second hand. Money is a tad tight at the moment as I am in the middle of buying a flat in the Surrey area, so really can't afford to stretch the budget (although i would like to). So I am looking for advise from anyone that can give me on the above projector including:

Where I could demo it locally, I live in Redhill, Surrey.

Am I right in thinking that the minimum you should sit from the screen is 1.5 times the screen size (so as not to get too much screen door), I am sure I read this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Any owners of the above projector, any feedback would be greatly received.

Also, I have found Robert Whyte Ltd are selling graded units, anyone had any dealings with them, and do they do a dead pixel check.

Thankyou very much

Ricky:hiya:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Search button, top right hand side of the page...... type in "ae200".......... everything you ever wanted to know, and somethings you didn't, no doubt..........

Sean G.

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Cheers Sean, I have tried that, and looked at the sticky which you set up, but as many people have said the best way to buy a projector is after having a demo.

This is one of the questions that I asked due to not being able to find an answer in the other threads. I have tried a few of the home cinema retailers around here, but many of them can not demo it, as they don't stock it, or prefer to demo the ae300.

Cheers for your advice though Sean.:)

Ricky

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I bought my AE200 with recommendations from this board, sight unseen. Couldn't be more pleased. Great PJ for the money.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ricky,

Can't help with demo locations, I'm afraid, would agree that 1.5x screen width is the minimum with an AE200 - 2x screen width is better if you want to avoid screendoor. Can't comment on pixel check from Robert Whyte - give them a buzz and ask, there's been a fair few pruchases from them by members, check out some of their comments in various threads ('hesitate to use the "search button" phrase again....... not being snotty, but I prolly use the search function here once a day.... it's the best way to focus in on something you want to know...). Graded units may already have dead pixels, though I can't recall members here reporting such probs.... I could be wrong.......

Agree that seeing with your own eyes is the best way to judge, provided the demo conditions are decent, but the AE200 is now "off the market" as far as I can see so you could have probs finding a dealer with one in stock - that's prob why they're offering to show you an AE300 instead.

TBH, I don't think you'd be disapointed with the result you'd get from an aE200 for that kind of money - £600 buys you a hell of a lot of widescreen fun................... I normally advise demoíng first, but in honesty, at that price it's a no-brainer. My 2c.

Sean G.

6. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Thanks guys for your help!

Ricky

7. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1.5 is enough, more is better. Less is acceptable if you have a small room, probly better to go for a smaller screen if nec. Slight de-focus deals with it on my AE100, the AE200 I set up for a friend is far less noticeable regardless.

Once the Big movie is playing on a Fri night, surround sound giving it max, armed with popcorn, beer [insert your own preferences] you will never look back...:clap: