1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic ae100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by soulbrother michael, Feb 15, 2003.

1. soulbrother michael

soulbrother michael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thinking of buying this projector,i have a pioneer 737 so i'll be using the componant output for connection.Doe's the competitive price mean the image quality is not as good as say a£ 2000 priced pj.Saw it in currys in a not so dark corner of the shop on a screen and the image was better than i expected,so in the dark it should be better should'nt it.Would it be £1500 well spent?.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Soulbrother michael,

the AE100 is now available for £799, and with good light control it presents a fine big image.

Its picture quality will not be as good as a projector costing £2000 (say, the Sony HS10), as the dearer projector would have higher resolution, at the least. If you're new to front projection, you'll be impressed with the AE100, for the money its an absolute no-brainer, imo. If your budget will stretch to £2000 for a projector, then read more here on the forum and consider the Sony HS10 or wait 'til the AE300 is released here (see comparison review on projectorcentral.com) and make a choice then.

Good luck,

Sean G.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I would actually argue that the AE100 gives most pj's a run for their money.

Mine is connected to a 737 (prog scan), and R1 discs look very good, once you've tinkered here and there to set it up just so.

Ok, it's not the best in the world, but it is bloody good.

CRT shows it a clean pair of heels, but not many LCD/DLP pj's really worry it IMHO.

If you can get it for £800 or so, do it.

If you can afford to go for a really good CRT then that's a different story.

Otherwise it's too close a thing to say.

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    General Skanky,

Mine is connected to a 737 (prog scan), and R1 discs look very good, once you've tinkered here and there to set it up just so.

I've been thinking of going down this route. Out of interest, what picture settings are you using on the AE100?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The 737 is pretty much the default settings for lcd pj.

Ae100 I'll have a look at it tonight and let you know. Basically, where possible, everything is at 0 or normal. Only brightness I think is up a bit.

I'll detail it later on.

R1 via prog scan is very good.
    R2 via comp out is pretty good too, but line structure can be more visible.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Swordfish R1 looked awesome on prog scan. Really, really good picture indeed.

R2 copy of 13th Warrior looked good considering it's not prog scan.

I can't say I've seen many, if any R2 discs that look bad. It's just that R1 is better.

The proof of the pudding is the opening sequence to the Star Trek film, can't remember its name now:rolleyes: , where the prog scan clears up all its problems brilliantly. If you can see that as a demo, it would be self explanatory.

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Guy,

Thanks for the speedy reply. My AE100 is set up with everything at zero and colour to Normal, but I'm currently also using a Pro-V which has its own range of settings to complicate things.

I can view the output from my cheapo Toshiba DVD player two ways: s-video routed through the Pro-V and component video directly to the AE100. There's usually not a lot between them, but I do wonder if a dedicated prog scan DVD player with a component output straight to the projector wouldn't show an improvement.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hey Bert,

I haven't used a Pro V, so can't comment on it as a comparison.

However, I can say that the 737 does a very good job in prog scan mode for R1.

I'd only now consider Pro V only for my Sky, not DVD.

I can only say try and get demo for it somewhere. If you live near by you're quite welcome to see here for yourself.

I wouldn't like to say to you sell all for a 737, the gains may not be worth it as many people say the Pro V is pretty good.

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Guy,

I'd agree that the Pro-V gives a considerable improvement over, say, a direct connection from a Sky digibox. The only real drawback I've encountered is that rapid contrast changes cause the picture to break up - flash photographs being taken are the worst offenders. I actually returned my first Pro-V thinking that this was a fault, but the replacement is exactly the same.

I live with it for the generally better overall picture. Like you, I tend to watch DVDs directly via the component output.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk