Panasonic AE100 Price?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Scotty, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Finally plucked up the courage after following the forum for the last month or so to take the plunge and arrange an audition of the Pani AE100 at my local Panasonic dealer.

I ask how much and he replied “full retail price £1700 quid” is this right?:confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1500 seems to be a more realistic price, and I wouldn't pay any more than that.

AV-sales and IVOJO have it listed at about £1375 if you want to risk mail order.

All the Panasonic Centres I have talked to have quoted me £1500

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I got mine for £1,250. Can anyone beat that?

I got it from a dealer in Chester - I asked them to triple-check the price before going there to test it for dead pixels and buying it :p

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi punce

Soon moving back to Chester, so I'd be interested to know which dealer that was from.

Cheers

Antony.

5. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It was from Audio Visual - they don't carry stock nor do they have a demo room. But you can order one from them if you put down a deposit. I'm not too sure if they'll keep the price that low for future orders!

They said they'll probably do that price for the next one that comes in, but then the price should then go up slightly - don't ask me why?

6. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ordered mine from sound and vision yesterday at 3pm for £1329 and it arived at 7.50am this morning:D (and i doubted the lad)well chuft after all this wait i can tell you im well impressed.

there no is01204 861861

carl

:D

7. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Thanks,

So I’m looking at about £1500 for a pixel perfect one?
    ;)

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Sound & Vision, Bolton, they are quoting around the £1300 mark

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Speak to Joe.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong, but it would appear that retailers of the AE100 have a reasonable profit margin on these machines.

I spoke to the shop where Punce got his from who quoted £1255 but because they didn't have any in stock I decided to phone around. The next dealer - without any prompting may I add - asked what was the best price I had, when I said £1255 he said he'd go to £1245.

A week or two later I phoned another dealer who again, without any prompting, asked how much I'd been quoted - I said about the £1250 mark (not being too bothered) - and he said they could do it for £1229.

With demand so high for these machines it seems odd that dealers are competitively bidding against each other when I'm certain they could sell all they get for more than they are quoting.

As the machines are retailing less than £1000 in Japan, do you reckon in a few months when demand has dropped that the UK price may well be nearer this mark?

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the photos of the insides of the AE100 on another thread...interesting.

From the photos its quite clear that the manufacturing cost of this unit is low, and assuming that other makes are simular in design, I see no reason why pjs should not drop a lot in price over the next year.

When you consider that a laser printer used to cost ~£600 about five years ago, and can now be picked up for £100 then you know where prices are going (and dont forget, laser printers used to be considered hard to make like pjs)

The test will be when the big internet retailers are selling this unit (eg ED and QED).

I guessed £1400 before this pj was released and others on this forum scoffed at me! My knew guess is that this pj will break £1000 by the end of the year.