1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ae100 - newbie just bought one

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mark silvester, May 13, 2002.

1. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am brand new to video projection and also new to this forum. Which I have found excellent in every way.

Whilst I took on-board many of the negatives regarding the panasonic AE100 I decided to buy one - it will be with me next week.

I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding the following connection set-up from my DVD a SonyNS700V to the panny pj.

I would like to connect component. But the only outwrd connections from the sony are the following - S.VHS. composite (vid,audio l&R)

And the RGB via the scart one (the one used for the T.V.)

Which would be the best connection? Can I take the scart - or buy a lead - that goes from the RGB scart to 3 phonos(video) ?

I know that you probably been asked this a thousand times - but please bear with me - I would appreciate It.

Incidently - I have for years been projecting 16mm films in my home cinema and it will be interesting to see the comparison.

For those that dont know....many 16mm collectors will pay £1000+
    for just one copy of a film...even with scratches!

Best - and it is great to be on-board.

Mark

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi Mark,

I am certainly not an expert, and I expect that you'll get answers from people who are, but to be going on with, my understanding is that the RGB-out via a Scart socket is not directly pluggable to the AE100's component-in phonos. I believe that your best-quality connection will be via the s-video connectors.

One manufacturer is said to be developing an RBG-to-component- video converter box. If successful, this should improve the image even further, though I don't know if you'd find the degree of improvement to be worth the cost of the converter. One of the problems in this hobby is that different people have such different standards; one man's unwatchable picture can be more than acceptable to someone else.

I hope that your projector gives you many hours of reliable and enjoyable viewing. As you know from your 16mm experiences, there's nothing like a truly big screen...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply!

My background came from collecting 16mm movies - still have a lot of equipment.

This meant the following: 1, I already had a 90inch screen set - up
    albeit in white.

2/ my lounge is 21ft....I take it with the panny I will have to move
    the pj closer...or will the zoom compensate to fill a screen like this from this distance?

For anyone interested I am the member of some 16mm forums and 8mm forums. I have been collecting film and showing them since 1975 - I was 14 then!

I have seen some of the screen shots...from various guys on the forum who have a panny...and if they are real they knock 16mm into a cocked hat.

Remember - 16mm collectors genuinely do pay a lot for just one film...I know it is real etc..but you have to reel change...pay extra for scope lenses.

^ months ago I paid myself - and this is not an exception - £300 for a 16mm copy of "RoboCop"!

I think that the bottom line is that we all love movies and especially the presentation of them...the spectacle...and the shared enjoyment! Wonderful!

Just a bit worried about the short throw - can anyone help me as to distances and picture size.

I dont get my pj until next week and I like a realtively long throw.

Best:

Mark

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mark,

The maximum distance from the screen for a 90 inch wide 16:9 image with the AE-100 is approximately 12ft 6ins. That (obviously) is with the lens zoomed right out. With the lens at minimum zoom the distance for a 90 inch picture is a fraction over 10ft.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_calc.cfm

If you select the AE-100 from the drop-down list of projectors you can then enter either a screen distance or an image size and the site will calculate the other measurements.

At 22 feet you'd be getting a picture somewhere around 18 feet wide...

Hope this helps,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk