1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE100 - dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Grubert, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    [Note: I posted this thread on "the other" forum too. If you reply here, ignore the other one.]

I'm beginning to like this projector. Maybe it's only a stopgap model, but it seems to be a good one.

Apparently, it isn't very prone to getting dead or stuck pixels (fewer pixels means less likelihood of one going off). An online retailer goes as far as saying that they have had very few projectors with dead pixels and that "any problems we have experienced have been dealt with to our customer’s satisfaction".

I'd appreciate it a lot if any PT AE100 owners could tell if they have any dead or stuck pixels.

Cheers.

Regards,

Juan

2. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have 1 right at the bottom of my screen but I dont even notice it at all anytime no matter what im watching, in fact when i look for it I still take ages to find it.

Wouldnt worry about it.

3. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not seen any yet but I have not looked for long

Just set it up quickly but other than the first hour playing with it last weekend, I have had to much work to watch films.

:)

Using it on the old system at the momment, waiting for new amp/DVD to arrive and finsh of the new cimema room .;)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't seen any dead pixels on mine at all. Phew!

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have one, but I never see it while doing normal viewing.

6. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have three stuck open, but I've also got a green blotch which isn't dust on the lense. It's getting replaced when the next shipment arrives.

T.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far i've not seen any stuck or dead pixels on mine, I have had a good look a couple of times and i'm not going to look anymore in case I find some :D

8. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt if this is a dead pixel , more likely dust on the panel or optics. Dead pixels on an svga panel really stand out, I've got 2 on my Philips ( good job it was cheap )

9. pocketDATA

pocketDATA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i check for dead pixels?

im new to this and am shopping for my first projector. i am looking at the panasonic pt-ae100 and also sony 10HT or 11HT.

besides dead pixels, what do i need for resolution for a home theatre setup? some dealers says SVGA is enough, some says XGA and above.....please can anyone educate me?

thanks in advance for your answers and any suggestions to help me with my first projector purchase

10. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm hoping to demo a AE100 soon (when it bloody arrives!) and I've made myself a VCD (easy to make using Nero 5).

I basically made a few jpegs using Photoshop - Red, Green, Blue, White and Black (and a few test patterns from the web).

With each slide, I'll look all over the screen to look for odd coloured pin-holes.

Some people mistake dust for dead pixels, dust tends to be a little larger than just one tiny pixel with a blurred effect.

That's all I know, never seen them myself, so anyone feel free to cyber slap me if I'm wrong :D

I've read so much the last few weeks!! :eek:

11. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My Panny has just developed a largish green blur in the form of a sphere. I don’t think this is a dead pixel. Guess I’ll have to get this replaced.

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Acave,

I'm assuming you've ruled out the possibility of a dust particle in the optics of your projector, which is easily rectified. What, you haven't ruled that out? Guess you should have done a little research (like reading the post above) before you decided to send your projector back.:(

13. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hiya Keith, I've not sent the unit back yet. I guessed it was dust so any info on cleaning the unit with be great.

thx

Gary

HTPC for this unit is so my fav option quality wise.

14. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...did you have any luck with cleaning that green smudge? if so...how? got my panny yesterday..got a green circle visible when background is black or dark...thank god it on the far right edge of the viewing area...

Thanks pinda:)

15. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hiya, the smudge I had went after a day of so, I guess it was a bit of trapped dust, so smiles all round here now.

thx

16. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pinda,

RE your dust blobs, i bought my panny on th 26th feb and it also had these, Mine would not dissapear, so i had to lift the lid on the machine to blow them out with some compressed air, being careful to spray without tilting the can. I must admit i was a little worried/concerned particularly as the machine was new but I contacted panasonic beforehand to confirm that i would not be invalidating my warranty and to double check that removing the lid would not result in some horrible spring loaded supprise (it didn't).
    They did say that i could have it collected to be done under warranty but i was reluctant to do this for a ten minute job. and besides i had to many films to watch on my new toy..

Good luck........ Vern.