1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE100/200/300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by iandrews, Jul 22, 2003.

1. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi, I was thinking about getting my first PJ, a Sony HS2 (for about £1000) but after reading the forum for a few days it seems that a lot of people have one of the above Panasonic PJ's, and in particular the AE300 seems to be getting good feedback.

I have seen the HS2 in action, but that was in a brightly lit shop with the image being projected onto a painted wall. I hope to demo the Panasonics some time, and know that whatever advice people offer me I will get the bigger picture (literally) by seeing the PJ's for myself.

However:

From what I have read the AE100 can be picked up for about £700, but there seems to be quite a few people who are having problems with it, and though it is a great price I don't really want to pay that for something that could not work in a few weeks time.

The AE300 is about £1500 and the reviews are great, but this is £500 more then I was going to spend.

The AE200 is about £1000, but I can't seem to find much info about it. Is anyone using one, and how does it compare to the AE300, is the AE300 worth £500 more.

If anyone can add anything to the above to help me then I would be pleased.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've had my Panny AE100 for a couple of months now with no bother. You can buy them new or refurbished for 599 quid and given a decent source and screen in a light controlled environment looks amazing. I'm not sure that the AE200 is worth the additional 400 quid, someone else will have to comment on that, but for 600 quid. It's the bargain of the century :)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Check out the FAQ - "sticky" at the top of the page - for lots of info about the current crop of projectors. I'm sure others will give you replies on-thread, but there's lots of opinions and info already posted on the forum, worth reading through.

The Ae200 is an update on the AE100 - same panel resolution, same light output but better contrast and colour uniformity. The AE200 and 300 don't appear to have had the power supply problems that the AE100 has suffered, but there has been some posting about dead pixels on the AE300.

Having see both the HS2 and the AE200, I'd be inclined towards the Panasonic - I thought it had a better picture - but you really need to decide the issue for yourself. Demos in shops can be quite variable, so try to see them in decently dark conditions to form an impression.

All the best,

Sean G.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    OK. Having owned both the HS2 and currently being the owner of the AE300, please allow me to say that the Panny is a better projector simply due to the lack of screen door.

The lower res panel of the HS2 caused screen door that was very noticable on white and flesh colours. However, if you can live with that it is a lovely PJ that offers a cracking image. Note that for the best PQ you will need to source a Sony component multi cable and they are not cheap (the HS2 has no dedicated component in).

The Panny currently resides at chez benefit and I am really pleased with it. The smooth screen technology works a treat and it has a lovely image with great colour and contrast.

Can I also suggest that you evaluate the sanyo Z1 as its price falls between the AE100/300. I had this projector and I still think that of the three, it had the best picture. I am not saying that the Panny is not as good, as it is, but in my opinion, somehow, someway, the Sanyo piccy leapt of the screen in cinema black mode. The sad thing is that I had three of the blighters. The first had very bad VB, the second had loads of dead pixels and the third kept switching itself off. Total shame as if I had a good un from the word go then I would have kept it.
    If you search through my previous post you will understand that I had to draw the line under the Z1 as it was costing £10.00 a time to return them. Other posters here such as Mr belowski, KBfern and Calscot have Z1's and they love em. Messiah also demoed one at home and he was impressed and he knows his arse from his elbow.

The Z1 can be bought from www.nexnix.co.uk for just £945.00 excluding VAT.

Read up on it.

I hope this helps,

Cap:smashin:

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with the comments on the Z1 - a better PJ IMO than the AE300.

OK, screendoor could be a problem, but the smoothscreen of the AE300 just killed the sharpness too much for me.

Z1 also accepts 1:1 pixel mapping via HCPC - a worthwhile consideration.

Well advised to demo those PJs you're interested in - suggest Z1 & AE300 for a start.

Give Russell or Kevin a call at Nexnix.

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    and yet you aspire to own a CRT Kramer?? Surely not the 'sharpest tool in the box'.....a CRT I mean! :D :D

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE300 is the very bestest projector in the whole wide world ever.

I've never sen as good a PJ in my whole life - it's that good it's frightening. Puts my lowly HS10 to shame....

NOT.

Put simply, I'd prefer the Z1 (screendoor & all) to the softness of the AE300.

I'll show you all - gettig my new PJ soon.....

.....an AE100.

:rotfl:

8. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thanks for the replies, I will try and take a look at the Z1 as well. I suppose another consideration is bulb life, and replacement cost. I saw a AE100 replacement bulb was about £270, can't seem to see any prices for the AE300 or Z1 though.

By the way I will be sitting about 12 feet away from the screen (well wall to start with), with the PJ on a table about 8 ft away from the screen, according to ProjectorCentral this will give a Diagonal Range of: 67 - 82 in. ( 5.6 - 6.8 ft.), should this give a good picture with lack of screendoor showing?

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Both the AE300 and the Z1 will give you a decent image from that distance, with the Z1 having a little more screen door due the Pannys smooth screen. However, a slight defocus will help the Z1. I sat about 12.5 feet away from my screen when using the Z1 and screen door was not an issue what so ever, also, I have learnt to take online distance measurements with a pinch however as they are only a rough guideline.

I think that the Z1 bulb life is around 3000 hours although Sanyo have not documented this. Refer to my previous Nexnix link for Sanyo prices and replacement bulb prices.

Any questions just ask.

Cap.

10. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That nexnix price is getting very tempting - there seems to be a price cut every month. How long in anyones view do you think it will be before it comes down to sub £1000 prices? (inc VAT) Pehaps when the Z2 is launched the Z1 may go below the magic £1000 mark?