Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic AE-700 fan noise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nelius, Oct 26, 2004.

1. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else noticed that the fan runs slightly faster when switching between desk and ceiling mode? My PJ is almost directly over my head in ceiling mode and about 5 feet up. I also noticed that the fan ramps up as soon as it receives a signal from the DVD player. When it's the blue screen from the PJ it's running slower. Anyone else have this? Once a movie is on it's not distracting, but to be honest I was expecting it to be quieter than this. I've become a bit of a fan weirdo after the Apple G4 MDD fiasco. :)

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    Hi,

I have my AE700 ceiling mounted, sitting not far behind me and about 4' above me. When you kick in a DVD from the get go then the fan does spin a little faster it seems, however after a couple of seconds it calms down and reverts back to what I can only say is unnoticable.

I am running in LOW LAMP mode as this is more than sufficient for my room conditions. Even when I was running in HIGH mode I can't say I noticed the fan noise.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

3. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read on the AVS Forum that the fan on the AE700 might indeed run faster when ceiling mounted. They believe it's because of the fact that hot air rises and when the projector is mounted on the ceiling, after a while it can't get enough cold air in and therefore the fan will start to run faster.
    So maybe you can point a fan towards it that blows colder air to it ;)

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    hi,

I too read the thread on AVSForum.

I was experimenting with my AE700 for about 4 hours last night and the fan noise never increased. There is a slight surge in the fan when you turn it on, it then stabalises and after that it was pretty much the same to my ears.

I was also up and down the step ladders with cables, turing the thing off at the end of the night etc... and in no way could you say that it was warm up there. WHat heat there was would probably be more generated by your own central heating as opposed to the fan exhaust.

No one any ideas about my Pioneer 565/component thread further down the list ? lol

Regards
    Keith Hurst

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can actually hear the fan immediately speed up when 'Ceiling' mode is selected and slow down when 'Desktop' mode is selected.

6. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

:offtopic:
    Keith

What ceiling mount are you using with your AE700. As I am looking for one and not sure to go for an adjustable or fixed length one.

Cheers

gwc

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    Hi,

I went for the full spec mount from LMP ( www.lmp-pc.co.uk ). It was 110 quid incl VAT and delivery. When you order you can ask what drop length you want for the mounting bracket. I went for a 45cm one.

Easy to mount, when you find the joist, easy to feed the cables through the drop tube, easy to attached the projector to. This is my first projector and first mount. Very happy with both. :clap:

All I need to sort out now is the interlaced signal from my Pioneer 565 which currently shows diddly. Got The Sinpsons showing on it just now over composite and lets face it composite leaves a lot to be desired but still happy enough with the results. Will be experimenting with the interlace thing later.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

8. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that Keith.

Not sure what drop length to get as this is my first PJ. I need to try and work out how far back ans down I need to mount it for a 7" foot screen.

Sorry to here about your DVD problems. Had a quick look at the AE700 manual and it seems like it should accept the input signal. I am currently waiting for the Pioneer 868 to arrive I shall see if I have the same problem.

Cheers

gwc

9. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    hi,

if you order a drop and then you find it not to be the size you want you can return it for a different length. They will only charge you nominal p&p for this.

Re the component input on the AE700, I am now conecting my bedroom Tosh 210. It has component out albeit not progressive and I still cannot get anything.

I get zip now on the NTSC discs I was playing last night on the Pioneer using progressive :thumbsdow I feel I am missing something fundemental here, well hopefully, and will no doubt feel a fool if this is the case. Time to dig out all manuals me thinks.

Let me know how you get on with yours when it arrives.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

[EDIT 20:29] - :rtfm: Well I found the 565A manual and reset the player. I am now sucessfully getting interlaced PAL and NTSC :thumbsup: Time to go out however and seek a new player to get both PAL and NTSC progresssive :smashin:

10. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    You want to fool it.....

Put it up high, but leave in desktop mode to keep fan running slow (quieter)
    Then turn your screen upside down :smashin: