Panasonic AE 300

UZUBAIRU

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to get a LCD projector in the next month or so.
I've been looking at specs and reviews on several forums.

I have seen a AE 300 running and it looked great even though the demo environment was not ideal (my hubby liked the reduced fan noise).
I went to Sevenoaks who demoed a Sanyo PLV Z1 for me and it was good. The assistant slagged off the Panasonic.
I am leaning more to the Panasonic or should I wait for the Z2.

The room it will be going in is 3.6m x 4.2m. Budget max = £

I have a few questions and I hope you guys could help me out.

1) Which projector would be best in my room?
2) Which do you prefer?
3)What are the best prices for AE 300/Z1?
4)Is it worth waiting for the Z2?

Umu

Both the AE300/Z1 are in the same ballpark as regards quality and throw distance with any differences in image being in the nuances of screen door, AE300 less screen door and softer image / Z1 sharper image more pronounced screen door. The AE 300 has more connection possibilities then the Z1 but the Z1 in not lacking. Price wise Z1 is cheaper at about £950 to the AE300 £1250. Try the throw distance calculator on this site to find you image size for a given throw distance.

With regard to the Z2 you will have a wait of approx 6-8 weeks before it becomes readily available and is expected to be in the £1400-£1600 mark but it is a step up the quality ladder emulating machines the which cost £2500+ now.

Image calculator.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/

is a much discussed subject on here.

Both are great units for the money.

Having owned both I am perhaps well qualified to say that in my humble opinion, the Z1 edges it on overall picture quality as it has a little bit more punch to the picture.

Note that I am very very pleased with my AE300, smooth screen 'n' all but I did prefer the PQ on the Z1, somehow, somway.

Search for my former posts and you will find that I had horrendous problems obtaining a quality Z1 which is why I am now more than content with the AE300.

I simply watch and go!!!!:D :D :D

In truth, if you can wait, look towards the Z2 as on paper this looks great. You will only hanker for it if you buy a Z1 anyway!!

there are numeous posts here, search them out!!

good luck,

Cap:smashin:

1) They both have similar throws, but if you can't mount the projector in it's ideal position relative to the screen the Z1's lens shift could be invaluable.

2) Well I own an AE300 and it's fine, unfortunately I haven't seen a Z1 so I can't comment on their relative merits, other than they both use the same LCD panels so they are going to be inherently similar ;)

3) £1050 ish at NexNix for the Z1 about £1300 at Komplett for the AE300. Z1 is irresistable at this price really ;)

4) The specs of the upcoming Z2 and AE500 pretty much blow both the earlier models out of the water. If you aren't fussed about getting one from Japan then you won't have to wait long they both will probably fall in at around £1300-£1500.

If I was buying now I think I'd wait, the HTPC and HTDV 1280x720 friendly resolution of these new models has a much brighter future than the quarter HDTV but oddball resolution of the Z1 and AE300 ;)

But then that Z1 is soo cheap :D

-- Jon

Thanks guys,
Your advice has given me much to think about.
I really don't want to wait, but may have to.
With a budget of £1500 max, the new machines look very tempting. My 41 inch screen is getting on my nerves now, since I've seen projectors in action.
Umu

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom