1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AE 100: Screendoor more visible with S-VHS than HTPC or Component feeding

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by roommaker, Mar 18, 2002.

1. roommaker

roommaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i had a Panasonic AE 100 for testing at home. Beacause of the lack of the right cable i could only test with S-VHS Connection. Picture over all was not extremely good also not bad. Colors were good.

The screendor was to me much more visible in compare with the philipps monroe. Therefore i would maybe tend to buy a monroe.
    I was sitting 2x screen width. Screen door effect didn´t please me at all.

Some in the board mentioned that the screendoor is much less visible with component or htpc feed.

I can´t believe this because screen door effect depends on a technical/constructional way of the LCD panel. Even with no feed it will be visible the same all the time.

So, because there a many members here who own a AE 100, please post whether you can see screen door effect more, less or equal if you have the possibility to compare. Maybe if you have a DVD player with component and S-VHS feed.

You don´t need to say how far you sit away from the screen.

I yust want to know wheter with the same same distance to the screen you can see it more or lesse with htpc or component or S-VHS.

regards roommaker

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I have noticed with projectors which exhibit some screendoor (some more so that others..) that a grey screen will reduce screendoor by about 50% ! compared to a white screen.

Also recently I have found that if you defocus the projector a tiny bit it gives the digital projection a more 'film like' appearance.

James

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I couldn't understand how this could be true either. But I bought my AE100 last Friday, and the first thing I tried was my Pioneer 535 DVD player using s-video, I felt very much like yourself, not extremely impressed, and could see the screendoor from where I was sitting. Then I connected my HCPC to the AE100 - WOW!

Don't ask me how or why - but the screendoor is not an issue to me anymore - I still go cross-eyed thinking how this is possible, but it does, and I'm extremely happy - I'm hoping to have pics up by the end of the week.

Punce

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Please forgive the naive question, but what exactly is this "screendoor" effect? I've not come across the term before.

Thanks in advance.

Bert

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My take on screen door being less of an issue with Component or VGA feed rather than s-video/composite feeds will be down to the accuracy/brightness of the pixels in the corresponding modes.

For instance if you turn up your contrast high you will drive the whites up which will tend to flare a little outside the edges of the pixels which seems to smear across the gaps a little therefore producing a more blurred pictured.

The same goes with sharpness, if you turn down sharpness removing the excess information from the pixel area it is de-emphasised leaving a smoother but muddier picture. Ofcourse neutral is correct but playing with the sharpness does improve/worsen the perception of screen door.

The screen door is better through the VGA than the component on my projector purely because the pixels are being driven at with the most purity .

Yes its true the panel is still the same panel regardless of input but you are aiming to remove as much crap between the source and the display device and feed the panel at the optimum which will improve brightness/contrast and clarity of the picture while at the same time de-emphasising screen door and other nasties.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I am currently using s-video, I can see some screen door but it isn't bad, when I recently used componant, I found the image was a big jump in quality, with less screen door visible.

7. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I have to backup the point about component input...

S-Video has always been my I/O of choice, but after putting a component input in to firstly my Toshiba and now a AE-100...I don't think it can be beaten(Apart from VGA!)

If you are buying a DVD player, go for somthing with component output.....In fact IMHO a cheaper DVD with component output will give you a better picture than a more expensive one with only S-Video...

I hope that sounds OK:confused:

8. roommaker

roommaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

very thanks for your replies. Maybe i should go out to test the panny with htpc again. Maybe the screen door will not bother me so much as it did with s-vhs feeding.

regards roommaker

9. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only tried svid and I do not really see that much screen door. I am very happy with the picture.

I have not had a chance to your other leads

10. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...Got mine last week ...using s-vid from my dvd player..i've got 21/20 vision..the only thing i notice is the quality of badly encoded discs...the screendoor doesn't seem to be much of an issue more than the faint vertical lines(increases with composite feed) i get ..i'm i confusing the two here??
    *yes 21/20 is possible..that was 10 yrs ago though.:D