1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic A700 or Infocus 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pcookie, Oct 30, 2004.

1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm thinking of getting a projector and still can't get my head around the merits of LCD versus DLP. I'm looking to install one in my living room, with the distance between projector and screen being only about 10 t0 12 feet.
    Will this cause any problems with size of picture, focus etc.
    Also I'm still using my Sony 900 DVD player which has component out, but no prog scan. Will the projector take care of the progressive scan?
    The two projectors that interest me the most are the Panasonic A700E or the Infocus 4805. Which is the most suitable for my intended set up? Is there any other machines worth considering around the 1000 gbp mark?
    Your help as always is much appreciated.

Thanks, Cookie

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

yes look at the Sanyo Z3 which is LCD or EPSON TW10H which is LCD and about £660. For DLP i cant recommend highly enough the Themescene H30 which is outstanding value and a cracking picture and can be found for under 1K now. You must demo this model.
    The panny 700 has had very good reviews with only a few people having problems with colour banding which is a horrible stripey effect on screen. High def is said to look excellent though. If the DLP rainbow effect is not a problem for you try it first. Watch a complete movie at your demo not 20 mins only and pick a natural film not a CGI Film. something like Pirates of the Carribean...

If you intend to keep the pj for a few years a higher resolution pj might be more future proof as sky intent to supply a hidef service in 2006. Most people end up upgrading however each year..... :laugh:

Hope that helps

CH

ps. sorry, yes the pj will take care of prog scan

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I would agree with Cool-Hand and also add that from 10-12 feet, you may notice the pixelation more on the 4805 unless you project a very small image ( which defeats the point a little!) as it is only WVGA, the Panasonic is WXGA and has a superbly smooth picture. A read a review where the reviewer said they stood 12 inches from the screen and still couldn't see any pixelation!!.
    Im not knocking the 4805, in fact I own one! But I would say that you need to be quite a distance from the image for the pixels to vanish completely

4. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks guys,
    I must get out and do some demos!

Cookie