1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic A7 - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Duncan Harvey, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst browsing around I noticed this player from Techtronics for approx £345+VAT.

This seems an astounding price for this player which is DVD Audio as well as video.

I currently have a Pioneer 606D which has served me well for 2 years, but I am after something with a scart for RGB output. This Panasonic model would appear to fit the bill and give me DVD Audio which although minimal in terms of software support is a feature I would definitely use as the titles emerge.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this player or seen any reviews? I've done a few web searches but found nothing

Cheers

Duncan

duncanrv@yahoo.com

2. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been considering this player, looks a good deal.

There is a review of the a7 at the home entertainment web site (www.home-entertainment.co.uk) under the buyers guide.

I got a 4* rating says its a slick player and sounds fantastic, a high price was a draw back but the techtronics price is good - but remember to add VAT.

Spoke also to techtronics and they said it was one of the best players if you were building a home cinema that was also to be your stero system.

Still interested to hear if anyone has bought one.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Does seem good value doesn't it..

Anyone know if it plays CDRs?

My concern is that I vowed I would never buy any more Panasonic stuff after their TVs and Videos got 5* reviews.

Bought both and hate them... Its their Operating Systems that I hate the most.. Too simplistic and not enough features.

Saying that, I do have a Panasonic DECT phone which is excelent...

If anyone can give any positive feedback I would be interested to hear too.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have my reservations as I can't find any mention of this player anywhere else.

None of the normal suppliers stock it...

I am thinking that its either very new or discontinued.

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is new - it's a more basic version of the Technics DVD-A10 reviewed in the Feb 2001 issue of HCC.

I doubt it will play CD-Rs though as the Technics one doesn't, but it will read CD-RWs (FYI the A10 has a list price of £900).

6. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I've taken the plunge and ordered one.

From what I've read, its a pretty decent DVD player and the DVD Audio will, for the moment, be an added bonus.

That said, "Rumours" and "Bat Out Of Hell" are being released next month and "Tubular Bells" is being prepared for SACD release (so I'd hope a DVDA version would follow)

Also, as my other main players are US sourced, (two Pioneer 606D's) it will be nice to have an RGB capable player for my main TV (currently my only RGB enabled player is a Samsung 807).

Now comes the fun of finding a decent switching box so I can connect the A7 and my PS2 to the RGB socket...

7. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TV is like most, at least one of your scarts will take S-Video.

My solution would be to get the S-Video adaptor for the PS2 and use a S-Video to scart lead to the TV. This will also give you a conection for a gun if you need it.

I did this myself and on the PS2 the S-Video is almost as good as RGB and does not show green DVD's.

Hope this helps.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought an a7 from techtronics and it is a very good player. picture (rgb) is great, and sound from it's dolby digital and dts decoders, as well as dvd-audio, is excellent. i would not hesitate in recomending it. although i did get it at techtronics' sale price. i don't know if i;d be willing to spend eight hundred quid on it.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I rate the panasonics. They seem to have some idea as to what makes for a good video image. As for them being having simplistic operating systems and not not enough feature you have to ask yourself if you raelly need them.

I like their TVs and I like their VCRs: I also have a JVC s-vhs (9600) deck which has a way clunky OS and way too many useless options.

No I do not work for Panasonic.

10. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now had chance to pick up my A7 from my parents house in the UK.

Initial thoughts are - excellent quality player in all respects.

First impression is that its the heaviest player I've owned - 8kg - so the build quality is of a very high standard.

Remote control and user interface are good, although panasonic are a mite too fond of on screen icons for my taste.

Picture via comp, s vid and RGB is excellent, and the sound... well its a revelation.

Theres a sampler disc included, but I'd bought the Corrs DVDA from my usual disc supplier (also have the ELP on order). Switching from DD 5.1 to DVDA 5.1 is like night and day. Its no exaggeration to say its as if a fog has been removed from the sound - extremely impresive. (BTW - tested this on my Yamaha 795 in the UK and my Yamaha A2 in Holland). Almost wish I had the Corrs album on CD to do a comparative test.

I havent done any standard CD testing yet but am confident that this will be up to scratch.

Saw a review in a HiFi mag over the weekend and the price was quoted as £699, so I would have no hesitation in getting one from Techtronics for £408 including VAT, delivery and a free copy of R2 Gladiator (mod works well - no problems with the one RCE disc I have - Hollow Man)

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Duncan I forgot to ask in my email but does the A7 play CD-R's I get one site saying NO but another says YES ... Can you advise ?

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

12. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant help I'm afraid as I dont have anything recorded onto a CDR.

Anyone else have any experience with Panasonics and CDRs as I'd assume it uses the same laser pick up as their other decks

BTW - for anyone else - Techtronics have reduced the price of the A7 - now about £30 cheaper for the version without macrovision - approx £378 inc vat and delivery