1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic A350 not playing some discs!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt P, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Matt P

Matt P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 18 month old A350 is just now refusing to play some discs which it has played many times before. Some won't play, some have major drop outs. Other discs are perfect!!!
    The problem is with discs I've uesed before and new ones. Ronin and rob Roy are two long term discs which have been fine before The world at War I have had untold problems with.

It seems to mainly be with gold discs.

Has any one got any ideas about why this is or if it might be repairable?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My Panny 350 needed the mod to both the timing (easy resistor fix) and a new drive when it started to do similar thing. These faults were widely reported at the time but despite being common panasonic always insisted that this one a one off. They were distinctly un helpful in letting a local repair man fix the problem insisting on fixing it themselves. Luckily I had a good dealer. Sorry for the bad new, I hope I am wrong but it sounds too close to my old problems. It's a shame, I always prefered my player to it's DTS capable Pioneer 626 replacement.

3. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I once owned the Panasonic A350 also,I believe that I was one of the first to own one in this country.After 10 mths my player began to crash etc and would not playLA Confidential and one other.
    I consulted Panasonic who suggested to contact my local repair centre under guarantee.ICTV of Farnborough could find no fault with it and would not release my player until I paid up £52.88 inspection costs,it turns out that the laser had packed up and that it would not read dual layered discs at all,Panasonic would not refund my costs incurred,a quote of £150 was given to me for a new laser.
    I replaced the Panasonic with aSONY 725,IF YOU READ THIS PANASONIC your customer service stinks (does anyone out there want a Sony 725 silver chipped for £300)

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It was the laser that had gone in my player hence the complete drive replacement. It was a common Panasonic problem and they treated everyone very badly over it. Luckily a good bottle of Burgundy (to my dealer) was my only cost but that was down to a good dealer (sadly now gone). If you are looking at £150 - £200 I would use my feet and ditch the panasonic and buy a new player (anything but Panasonic). They will learn eventually. My 350 was also one of the very first (before the official DVD release in this country). I later learned that the drive problem were common, due to a faulty batch of drives. If this is correct I always thought Panasonic should replace all drives but perhaps I am asking too much of a company that doesn’t listen too much to it’s customers but if they were a real / proper company…..

5. jryoung

jryoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had several CD Players during the last 10 years where the laser packs up. I think that any DVD or CD player may eventually die in this way. So, be wary of spending too much on a player if your funds are limited....

Jonathan

6. Matt P

Matt P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all of you who have taken time to reply thank you. A local dealer will be looking at the player soon for an ispection fee of £15. Panasonic have just lost a customer for a tv as I will be going to Sony. If any one is interested I will post the result. Waht it was how much to repair and whether I scrap it.