Question Panasonic 85" Th85pf12u plasma- Reviews?

EmilioZam

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just scored this beauty from 2012. I can't find any in depth reviews. It looks great but I wonder how it would compare to some of the best 65" plasmas. VT, ZT etc.

Does anyone know if this TV was made to have a great picture, or to just be good enough for commercial display purposes? I'm not getting that much from just comparing the specs.

Sounds like it's a successor to the TH65PF10, but bigger. I've got a 65PF10 and it still has a great picture, after over 12 years of regular use. I have wanted to replace it, to save electricity, but I've not seen an LCD with a better picture. (I would replace it with an OLED but the screen is used with streaming services having fixed logos so am afraid of burn-in).

This is what happens when you turn it on.

Kdef.gif

Ha ha, ya it actually has a 20amp plug in. Sales people keep calling these space heaters also, but I haven’t noticed any heat off the back. Energy use doesn’t factor into my picture quality list. So far it looks very natural except for some blotchy blacks in very dark scenes. Might just be the feed. The contrast ratio spec is 400000:1 vs the 6000000:1 of some others. I wonder if this isn’t why.

Does anyone know if this TV was made to have a great picture, or to just be good enough for commercial display purposes? I'm not getting that much from just comparing the specs.
This plasma definitely gives out great 1080p picture, very natural colour and good motion, good for watching blu-ray. You can purchase a dual HDMI card and insert into the plasma if it doesn't come with it. To gives you extra confidence, you can consider ISF calibration.

No need to worry too much electricity, it is not too bad. In fact much more environmental than throwing away a fully working electronic device to landfill.

This plasma definitely gives out great 1080p picture, very natural colour and good motion, good for watching blu-ray. You can purchase a dual HDMI card and insert into the plasma if it doesn't come with it. To gives you extra confidence, you can consider ISF calibration.

No need to worry too much electricity, it is not too bad. In fact much more environmental than throwing away a fully working electronic device to landfill.
I’m not sure what the benefits of a duel hdmi card would be but I’ll look into it, thanks. I’ve had this plasma for a month now and watched everything from Yellowstone to Mandalorian and I’m in 85” heaven. I’ve been fake shopping 85” led’s and I can’t find one that doesn’t annoy my eyes yet.

I’m not sure what the benefits of a duel hdmi card would be but I’ll look into it, thanks. I’ve had this plasma for a month now and watched everything from Yellowstone to Mandalorian and I’m in 85” heaven. I’ve been fake shopping 85” led’s and I can’t find one that doesn’t annoy my eyes yet.
I use TH-103PF12E as my primary TV at home, hence I know you have a great plasma. I plan to use mine for the next 10 years. Have fun and enjoy your beautiful plasma!

103! That"s awesome. That's projector size, except you don't have to sit in the dark if you have guests. Funny, I diddn't know these plasmas existed until now. They were so expensive new. I would pay to keep this one running as long as possible as well.

103! That"s awesome. That's projector size, except you don't have to sit in the dark if you have guests. Funny, I diddn't know these plasmas existed until now. They were so expensive new. I would pay to keep this one running as long as possible as well.
Absolutely. The original price was ridiculous, hence they could afford a solid build quality especially when comparing to consumer range plasma, professional range is just off the scale, hopefully with better electronic components inside to justify the high price and durability.

I found below link discussed the difference between Panasonic professional and consumer plasma, not sure how true, we have to make our own judgement. So far I am very happy with mine, even by 2021 standard.

Ok well that is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for the link. It mentions that the Auto Brightness limiter can be turned off because of the extra power source, and so whites will always look bright. I looked for this option though and only found the energy saving options. They were already off. Not sure if there is and actual ABL on/off option.

I'm going to look into calibration since these can be so fine tuned as they change with age. I know there is a way to check the usage hours but I'm worried I might mess up an advanced setting. The guy told me they were low. It was used at home.

I'm also glad they don't have speakers. Somehow it makes it more compatible to my stereo and all other remotes. Cheers - have fun with the baller tv.

Ok well that is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for the link. It mentions that the Auto Brightness limiter can be turned off because of the extra power source, and so whites will always look bright. I looked for this option though and only found the energy saving options. They were already off. Not sure if there is and actual ABL on/off option.

I'm going to look into calibration since these can be so fine tuned as they change with age. I know there is a way to check the usage hours but I'm worried I might mess up an advanced setting. The guy told me they were low. It was used at home.

I'm also glad they don't have speakers. Somehow it makes it more compatible to my stereo and all other remotes. Cheers - have fun with the baller tv.
Good question, I checked the manual, guessing is it the 'Peak limit' setting under 'Extended life settings'? When 'Peak limit' is On, it suppresses image contrast (peak brightness). What do you think?

1612726118187.png

• To check usage hours. Press and hold the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA DISPLAY.

• Then press the {STATUS} button 3 times on the remote quickly within 2 second.
    (Status button is the one above Setup button}

• The Service Menu (CAT) will be displayed.
    (CAT = Computer Aided Test Menu)

• Using the cursors keys on the remote, select "SD Mode".
  • And press the Action key to access it.
    On the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) parameter:

WT = How many times the unit was powered on
    PT = The cumulative time in hours

• To exit the SD Mode, press the {R} button.
  • To exit the CAT menu, press the {STATUS} button.
  • To completely exit the Service Menu, turn the power off.
1613040345400.png

1613040403215.png

Sounds like it's a successor to the TH65PF10, but bigger. I've got a 65PF10 and it still has a great picture, after over 12 years of regular use. I have wanted to replace it, to save electricity, but I've not seen an LCD with a better picture. (I would replace it with an OLED but the screen is used with streaming services having fixed logos so am afraid of burn-in).

No the PF11 Range came after the PF10 Models
and the Plasma also had burn in issues on logos as such
so no different to OLED tv as such .

No the PF11 Range came after the PF10 Models
and the Plasma also had burn in issues on logos as such
so no different to OLED tv as such .
Burn in on these plasmas is unlikely, certainly never seen it. Not sure if it’s down to the pixel moving function that activates on still motion or just that burn in was always something that got massive publicity but in reality didn’t affect that many sets? - I’ve had three Panasonic plasmas from about 2008 and none have burn in (but they’ve also never been used as computer monitors..)

I looks like you cannot change ABL on a Panasonic. On 9G Pioneers you can go from like standard ABL 20 to at least 200 in the service menu. So that is quite insane. I set mine current one to 47 (from 17).

Burn in on these plasmas is unlikely, certainly never seen it. Not sure if it’s down to the pixel moving function that activates on still motion or just that burn in was always something that got massive publicity but in reality didn’t affect that many sets? - I’ve had three Panasonic plasmas from about 2008 and none have burn in (but they’ve also never been used as computer monitors..)
I agree, there is no burn in at all on my TH-103PF12E.

I had ISF calibration in 2019, I am very pleased with the result.

Also, with white bias light installation, a cheap £25 upgrade, it makes plasma TV looks like OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom