1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 85 or Pioneer 420

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by seanh, Jan 30, 2005.

1. seanh

seanh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys/gals,

Right then - went into Comet yesterday to have a quick look again at the Pioneer 420 as a guy at work has one and swears buy it for the price. Always good to hear someones actual experiences !!!

Yes, functionalitywise, it seems to do pretty much what i need, but overall, it aint the sexiest looking machine around, and the Panny 85 took my eye and a few google searches seem to put it in the same price bracket.

So, this is it.........should i plump for the Pioneer 420 or the Panny 85 ???

would really appreciate some feedback from you out there.....
    And then i promise to part with some of my hard earned - honestly !

:thumbsup:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The Pioneer 420 and Panasonic E85 are similar machines that do similar functions. On these boards the E85 is more popular as it has Component Output, Progressive Scan, DVD-Audio support (2 channel) and, more importantly, 3hrs full resolution recording to DVDR (the Pioneer manages only 2hrs 20mins).

The only 'disadvantage' of the Panasonic range is that it uses DVD-RAM as the re-writeable media (the Pioneer uses DVD-RW) so you cannot make compatible recordings on re-writeable media. That said most HDD/DVDR combi users will use DVD-R as that is THE most compatible format - and both Panasonic and Pioneer record to that.

All in all then the Panasonic is the better machine, but if you want DVD-RW look at the Pioneer. Likewise the Toshiba RDXS32 come highly recommended and that also records to DVD-RW.

3. slimboyfat1805

slimboyfat1805

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am in the same hole as you.
    i am not sure read my post and replies.
    i will be ordering the 420Hs straight after typing this dont buy the unit from comet tho.
    much cheaper online!
    do a search found the 420 for £308. in comet for £399.
    £298 plus delivery
    http://beyondtelevision.com/thisProduct.asp?ID=112

its the one for me decided!

4. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or pop in to a local Richer Sounds branch and collect the Multi Region version for £299 - like I did!

Great machine (Pioneer 420H) plays and writes to all media I have in my house - a lot more stable in this respect that the Toshiba XS32.

Very Happy with it!! :clap:

5. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Panasonic also has more rear inputs/outputs than the Pioneer if you need them.

Pioneer: 1 scart in, 1 scart in/out
    Panasonic: 1 scart in, 1 scart in/out, 1 s-video/composite in, 1 s-video/composite out, 1 component out