Panasonic 830 SVHS VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by baggers, Jan 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wish i had seen this forum before buying the Panasonic 830 SVHS VCR. I can't believe the reviews, seems like hype. It is noisier than any VCR that i have had previously and the SVHS ET picture quality is rubbish and not worth using, very grainy. I bought it from ED, too late to send it back. Anyone else experienced these problems?

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've had four SVHS VCRs in the past 10 years and I can honestly say that the recent ones I have bought are no where near as good as my first one (Panny FS88), in terms of pic and build quality.

Subsequent Panasonics gave a very grainy pic and only marginly better than VHS. One only lasted about a year which I didn't even bother to get repaired, I just binned it!

So I recently switched to JVC. Whilst the pic quality is ok (Doesn't come close the FS88), the build looks and feels really cheap & tacky and you can see they have cut several corners to keep the cost down. Which seems to be the case with most vcrs these days.

If (when?) this one packs up then I'll probably upgrade to recordable DVD.

4. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baggers

Yes, I've had exactly the same experience ... and if you read other threads on here you'll see we're not alone. I tried 3 different 830s, from different retailers, and they were all just as grainy. Recordings made on the 830 play back fine on other video players, so I suspect they've cut corners in the output stage.

I phone Panasonic UK and they said that there has not been a faulty production batch, so it must be standard spec. I'm about to take them up on their offer of sending an engineer to have a look at it. Problem is that people keen enough to look at this site will have a higher (albeit perfectly reasonable) expectation of quality than Joe Public, so I suspect he'll just tell me it's within tolerable limits.

I'm pretty sure that What Video have just given it 'Best Buy' - beats me how.

5. baggers

baggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, in What Video and Widescreen Entertainment it was a "Best Buy" and in a recent awards issue it was "Highly Commended" with a comment by the reviewer that it should be a contender for best VCR of the year...(!) If i had reviewed it i would have referred to the SVHS ET function as a waste of time due to a grainy picture and the mechanism noise as too loud. My rating would be 5 out of ten and to keep looking for a better machine.

6. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just come off the phone to Panasonic.

Basically, their customer services person said that, if I'd tried three machines and all three were the same, then there was no point sending an engineer, as the likelihood is the machines were operating to specification. So the conclusion must be that an acceptable specification is lower now than it was two or three years ago.

What I really can't understand is how professional reviewers, on whose opinions we place such reliance, can be so taken in by marketing hype.

7. dgphonda

dgphonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the model 830, and have made the same observations, the SVHS mode is worse than normal VHS, far too much grain and general noise. I have tried new JVC SVHS blanks but the picture is generally more watchable in VHS. I have also tried recording direct into the SVHS input from a Digital Camcorder but the results were the same.

SVHS ET, even when using high quality VHS blanks is unusable.
    I was going to send it away for repair but after reading the previous post I guess that this is the norm, but can't believe that the reviewed samples were the same. I have owned older SVHS VCR's both Panasonic and JVC and they were all better than this.

If anyone can advise how to enter the service menu, (if one exists), maybe it can be tweaked?