1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 8 Series 50" HD Plasma for under £1800

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gussie, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    In the US ...

I had to check this several times to be sure ...

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-50PHD8UK&MFR=Panasonic

Shop Price $2,994 = £1749 (even calculated at a less favourable Tourist Rate of £1=$1.72)

Even allowing for delivery and any local sales tax - our US counterparts can pickup a 50" latest Panasonic HD Plasma for under £2000 !!!!!

THIS PROVES WHAT A DISTORTED GLOBAL MARKET WE LIVE IN.

WE EUROPEANS ARE BEING RIPPED OFF BY CERTAIN GREEDY GLOBAL SUPPLIERS LIKE PANASONIC.

CREDIT TO SAMSUNG FOR AT LEAST HAVING THE COURAGE TO MARKET PRODUCTS LIKE THE PS42S5H AT REASONABLE PRICES.

RANT OVER

.... right ... I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a while to calm down ... :devil:

Gussie :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The MSRP has *just* been dropped in the US from $4999 to $3999. The price drop is not even visible on the Panasonic's USA website yet. So it might be a bit too early to shout violence and murder. I'm still hopeful that we Europeans will also get a price drop. Official price drop day is still August 28th in the USA.

3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    In your dreams I fear.

The price here for the new 8 Series 50" will stick at over £3000 for quite a while into next year whereas in the US you can place an order for £1850 or so TODAY for delivery in September.

Now that is indefensible on the part of Panasonic Europe - no other way to describe it.

Gussie :)

4. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am considering both the PHD8 and the 506 at the moment, and if Panny go in at the 3.5k price point over here I am tempted to go Pioneer regardles just as a point of principle.

Still, only time will tell so while I am quietly cursing I will wait until they have both hit the shelves before I get too irate.

5. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Isn't there a way of ordering a handfull of these from the states, dividing the shipping 5 ways and making 5 of us very happy indeed?
    What's the tax, insurance, warranty implications if anyone knows?

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Not feasible - import duty will be payable, the US model is designed to operate on 120V AC, 50/60 Hz, and you'll get no warranty here in the UK.

7. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I think you'll be ordering your Pioneer then!

It would be one in the eye for Panasonic if there was a concerted campaign to boycott their now overpriced products but that's a pipedream!

Right now my gut reaction is to go out and buy the Samsung PS42S5H at £1500 on a point of principle and stuff Panasonic !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gussie :mad:

8. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err is the US product exactly the same as the product for the UK?
    or do they have to meet CE spec and many other regs that will cost panasonic to meet .
    do they have different packaging and a different power supply and a different mains cable and print different brochures and ship it further and pay different import duties and VAT and will Panasonic UK have higher overheads than a US Company? and because of the smaller scale of preduction of say the power supply and all the other bits (Instruction manuals etc)they would be more expensive.

Oh and maybe there is the extra cost of training staff at Panasonic about the new models and providing UK support.

YES i get you they are too expensive (I DONT DISPUTE THAT) compared to the US but we are not comparing like for like.

I do feel that the phrase we are being ripped off is unfair though it's a fair price for this market place (we all want it cheaper though)

Many products are cheaper in the US not just Panasonic .

The simple thing to do is move to the USA . :D

The thing about Samsung and other is that the model numbers are not similar to the UK models so a comparison is never made

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=8382&srccode=cii_6580890&cpncode=09-3063216

This is similar but it has a HD tuner built in so you can't compare it like for like.

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference in cost to print the manuals will be pennies, the cost of psu will also be a tiny part of the cost.

The vat element is 17.5%, sales tax in the states is around 6.5% so for arguments sake an increase in cost of 15% would be fair.

Rover used to ship £32,000 vitesses over the pond and they retailed at £15000 in USA showrooms!

Manufacturers look at this country and rub their hands, its getting narrower but still a long way to go.

10. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    You're being sarcy aren't you ???

Are you ????

If not - your post is the funniest I've seen in a long while.

You don't work for Panasonic UK do you ?

Maybe a Panasonic dealer ?

Hilarious just :censored: hilarious !!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. kingog

kingog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the Planning system in this country and the taxation on Fuel.
    Our land is artificially expensive and getting between those expensive bits of land is a fortune in transport costs.

I'm afraid our love of Green belt and conservation areas, with a reluctance to build roads and parking etc... has a price to pay somewhere along the line.

Eventually everything lands at the consumer to pay

12. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no everything is free all costs however small don't add up,
    Maybe Panasonic UK should not make a profit They should give us plasmas for cost.
    What is the equivalent US model for the samsung ? Is there one or is it cheaper .And no i am not a dealer or work for Panasonic but i did own a PW7 and when there was a PSU problem it was fixed in two days from me first complaining.

AV2diefor Rover maybe isn't a good example is it?

13. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    As regards Samsung - I was making the point that they sell an HD 42" Plasma TV here in the UK for a not unreasonable street price of around £1500 and presumably still make a profit. What that model or it's equivalent in the US costs is totally irrelevant!

You have the right to defend Panasonic - I have no problem with that.

However, many would agree that charging around £3500 for something that is now available in the US for around £1800 can not be explained or justified by the extra printing costs of documentation, training staff or using 120V Power supplies instead of European 240V ones.

14. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry Enquirer but I really don't buy it, this would be the 1st product I have seen where the £ numbers are higher than the $ numbers, e.g. £3500 vs $3000.

I really don't mind (much) paying an extra 30-40% or so as it IS more expensive due to size of market, shipping, VAT/Duty etc. But the above is just silly.
    Compare the expected 506 prices vs the US equivalents, the difference is far smaller than the panny.

HOWEVER, it all depends on what price we actually see.

15. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    enquirer I beg to differ, it demonstrates the difference, and the fact that we pay double the price they do, period!
    I'm not singling panasonic out either, its across the board on all produts, if you "want" a better example price a bose up :rolleyes:

16. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree

17. Sham

Sham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:
    First time posting from a technical novice - so would appreciate your patience.

Sorry to bring the thread back to mundane technical questions rather than the long term economic competitiveness of UK vs US.

The PHD8 deal looks very price competitive. I am currently living in the US and am getting my employers to ship my furniture/ stuff back to London next month - so can ship the item used. I am hoping that this would not only save on cross atlantic shipping but also minimise the import duty and VAT.

What extra items do you need to get the TV to run in the UK without sacrificing performance.

There is a power supply issue i.e. the set uses 120V, 50-60Hz - is this just as simple as buying a stepdown transformer powerful enough to work with the TV. Any ball park cost estimate for the transformer?

Otherwise, will this work with the proposed Sky HD offering?

There is a thread on the LCD side (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236263&highlight=import+lcdside[/url]) which was very useful - though i am not sure how relevant it is to plasmas in general and this model in particular.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

18. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesnt matter what we buy here if its a coastly item we always seem to pay about the same in £s as the Americans do in $s.....so much for the £ being worth much more than the $.....might be for international banks and companies or if u travel over to America but for the rest of us they are easily the same.

Sham I know we use transformers all the time for things like mobile phone and stuff so it sounds like a simple stepping down in power/amps to the required power for the tv.....however u can bet your bottom dollar (or pound as they are worth the same lol) that there is more to it so its worth getting the info from someone who is qualified and knows there stuff I would say.

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    why not buy from the states and ship here

parcels2go will give you a Florida address for a small price, then ship your purchases to your real UK address at fairly reasonable rates. It's got to be the way to go (all insured).

power adaptors (the $55 750W should do the trick)
    http://www.starkelectronic.com/st500.htm

20. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You brits should stop crying about prices. The PV500 is £3000 in Denmark where I live...

21. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poor xprezz....I remember Norway had some pretty horrific prices when I used to go there...it was a little on the cold side to lol

22. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily the germans are pretty cheap and gladly ship to Denmark :)

I did however write av-sales about the possibility of shipping here and they didnt even reply so I guess you guys keep all the kit on your island

23. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @ Sham.

I posted a thread about a Gen 8 Panel (US version = UY) on sale on ebay and asked a similar question, since it was going for 360GBP.
    Horny Dragon on here replied that he thought a good step down transformer would probably work but then said " but I am not sure if the UY screens allow 50Hz at 50Hz, there was mention of this on the av science forum a while back, need to do some digging I think. If they do I would only go to £1500, if it doesn't I wouldn't pay the £360 it is at now."

this is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1893596&postcount=6

So I suggest having a search of AV science forum for your answers. It could be a costly mistake otherwise.

Cheers
    Darren

24. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    If, rather than anyone guessing, you have a look at the specs for that particular model, you will see that it accepts both NTSC and PAL, and video input at both 60 Hz and 50 Hz; composite, s-video, component AND HDMI. Many plasmas are dual voltage, though Panasonics are unfortunately an exception. You would need a 500VA transformer for the 50" version; I know that Keene do a 1kVA unit for £80. And free shipping (and insurance?) too! There, a few facts are all you need to get a bit of confidence.

Nick

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not just VAT and electronic goods duty, there is an additional EC 14% duty on any HDMI device too, shipping from the states will not save enough to make it worthwhile to lose the warranty and spares backup, IMHO. About 40-45% of the street price is tax in the EC.

26. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I found this thread extremely funny. You think such price differentials only apply to plasma tvs? This sort of over-pricing is systematic in the UK. Why? Many reasons, including the fact that the UK is a very small market and "Europe" can't get it's act together to become a single market. But most of all, the prices are high because the English don't complain and pay, pay, pay...

27. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    MAW what proportion of the price in the UK is retailer margin? A competitive retailer is always happy to disclose his gross margin...

Also, I assume the 14% HDMI duty only applies to the board (in which case it is not significant in terms of the overall price) and not the panel.

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Steve, my margins vary according to negociations and the customer. I tend to mark up full on custom install, as those customers don't research on the net much, but hate the look of a £1500 bill for labour. But it's what I need to charge if I'm to offer the service these people want. A box sale, on a 50", typically about 7%. I'm not shy about that, Y'all know that business is there to make a profit. And the tariff is charged on HDMI capable devices, so you do pay it on the panel I'm afraid. Blame Brussels, it's good for the soul if nothing else.

29. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    MAW thanks for the response. I am not surprised about the way you price the custom installs and you should not be embarrassed about the straight sale margin. I find the HDMI tax interestingly offensive. I wonder what the "justification" was. No French electricians involved here! Any ideas?

Would be nice to see a breakdown of costs/taxes. Presumably there isn't an importer dealer in the middle and so price differentials largely boil down to taxes, retailer margin and what Panasonic believe they can sell the product for versus their cost base. The latter has been a real problem in the UK where historically people have been happy with 18" TVs from the 70s in their damp little living rooms. There simply hasn't been the demand for high-end AV gear to gain real economies of scale. Larger living spaces and higher wealth in the US have had an impact for quite some time. Things are slowly changing here but Brits seem much more inclined to pay up in quiet embarrasment rather than make a fuss.

I hope you are doing all you can to convince your Panasonic rep that their price point is too high and "unfair". Kind of hard to do though when there are plenty of pre-orders at the current price....

BTW I was looking at the brochure and it doesn't seem to list 1366x768 @ 50Hz

30. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Glad you found the thread amusing.

I am only too aware of price differentials between products in the US and Europe.

The particular issue here is the extreme nature of this price differential AND the fact that this extreme differential has occurred purely because of a substantial price drop actioned by Panasonic North America!

As has been pointed out we are usually accustomed to translating $'s into £'s.

Here, we have a situation where $2,994 is translating into £3500 !

I totally agree with you - we here in Europe just pay up stupidly.

To prove it just look at the threads here where UK customers are moaning that their beloved Panasonic Vieras are in short supply and moreover are just itching to pay Panasonics inflated prices.