1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 700 UPGRADE ideas?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Murray, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My first projector was the Hitachi tx100, I then upgraded to the Panny 700 which I always felt had a better looking picture. Ive been very happy with the 700 but I have the upgrade bug again so thought I would get some ideas from you guys. This week I have trialed at home against the 700 for two whole days the new Sony VPL HS51. I have compared them both with component and also hdmi and after many tests still feel the end result to be better (for me) on the 700 (manly brighter)
    The most important thing Im looking for is a very bright picture with good contrast at 16.9 resolution.
    After being a projectionist for 30 years a bright picture for me is very important, without it you lack the sparkle and the 3D efect we are all really looking for.
    I have a 2.6 mt matt screen (horiz) and only use the setup for night viewing. Im not apposed to DLP but still havent come across anything I really feel is better than the 700. All the shops tell you this one is better than that one etc but you really cant tell untill you bring the machine home and compare it to the one you have.
    I also want a machine that has lens shift and would love to have remote focus and zoom to correct the undersize screen size problems you often get when playing DVD's on HDMI/DVI 720p.
    Lets know your thoughts and maybe I need to spend more money.
    Remember I need a bright pix and please no rainbows :thumbsup:

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    you don't mention your budget. We will say that £3.5k is your maximum. Within this range I think you should look at the following :

Sharp XV-Z2000 ( £3500) Brightness 1500 ANSI lumens/ Contrast 2500:1/ aspect 16:9/ resolution 1280x720/ DLP

Mitsubishi HC900E ( £1875) Brightness 1500 ANSI lumens/ Contrast 4000:1/ aspect 16:9/ resolution 1024x576/ DLP

Sony HS50 ( £1600) Brightness 1200 ANSI lumens/ Contrast 6000:1/ aspect 16:9/ Resolution 1280x788/ LCD

Optoma H77 ( £3500) Brightness 900 ANSI Lumens/ Contrast 3500:1 / aspect 16:9/ resolution 1280x720/ DLP

Optoma H57 ( £1800) Brightness 900 ANSI Lumens/ Contrast 3500:1/ aspect 16:9/ resolution 1024x576 / DLP

This should give you something to compare. As a projectionist you will appreciate that contrast can have as much and probably more 3D impact than just brightness alone. A bright but grey picture will look flat and lifeless compared to an image that is slightly dimmer, yet has better contrast and blacker blacks. DLP usually has better contrast and a more filmic image for any given figure compared to LCD. In other words an LCD with 2000:1 contrast and 1280x720 resolution will not have the same impact as a DLP with the same figures.
    DLP's mirrors are closer together than LCD's pixels so produce a smoother , less pixelated image. Obviously the only downside with DLP is the possibility of rainbows. Newer models have addressed this with higher colour wheel segments ( look for 7 on +£3000 pjs and 6 on sub £2500 pjs) plus a faster speed at which it turns (x4 is a minimum, x5 is great.)
    Also the mirrors are able to angle to a degree that allows no light to be reflected back onto the screen meaning very good black reproduction.
    Look at Infocus and Optoma for superb DLP models and the only real LCD that will better your AE700 is the Sony HS50.It's funny that you say that the Sony was dimmer than the AE700 as the AE700 is rated at 1000 ANSI lumens and the Sony at 1200 ANSI Lumens. Tested, the AE700 set up optimally produces closer to only 300 ANSI lumens !!!. Maybe the Sony was not set up as well as it could have been?
    If rainbows are not an issue with you, DLP will probably produce the more satisfying 'filmlike' images. And of course the gain of your screen can increase the brightness of the image. It may be worth looking into a higher gain screen and buying a projector with a very high contrast ratio. :thumbsup: