Panasonic 700 owners with VB

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Russ 66, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    If you could turn back time would you still buy the Panasonic?
    What I am trying to say is, is the VB bad enough to stop you recommending this projector.

2. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any VB - yet - but even if it appears, and the flicker tweak doesn't work, in my case it's this PJ or back to my TV. No other projector has the zoom range I need for my small room - a projector would be out of the question for me if it weren't for the AE700's flexibility. So yes I think it's safe to say I wouldn't want to turn the clock back.

3. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have had a bit of VB - After 15 minutes warm up can be tweaked to nothing though. It also seems to be getting less with use. I'm only on about 30 hours so far. It is my first PJ and have been utterly impressed with it. It still amazes me the detail it can create by upscaling even from pretty crappy sky. Very quiet too. I would certainly recommend.

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have no VB (1st batch), my mate has VB (bought 2 weeks ago). VB seems to be a batch problem, but the Panasonic PJs do seem to take some breaking in. My mates AE700 has been settling down though, and I will tell you that AE700's when working properly have no noticable VB. I would recommend that you buy your PJ from a good retailer and explain your worries (just in case you get a dodgy one and want to return it).
    P.S. Nearly 300 hours viewing and still blown away by the quality!! :clap:

5. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm following this with interest..seriously thinking of the AE700 myself.
    Is there a way of determining the firmware version on the projectors and comparing these against those people that have VB, it might be a particular batch

Dave

6. bentleg

bentleg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a 1st batch ae700 and to start with i never saw a trace of VB,
    Now after over 100 hours use I see it every now and then, I’ve done the flicker tweak and that sorts it out with no problems at all. BUT every time I turn off the DVD player I have to re do the flicker tweak I cant seem to save my settings on the projector tried the user memory settings to no effect.
    Having said all the above I’m still very happy with the projector and would never question the choice I made to buy it.

7. dnoon

dnoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine on Tuesday from Discount Electrical (great deal and service BTW). I have only been able to project it onto a painted wall so far and am having some VB visible. I am driving it from a HTPC over VGA using powerstrip to set resolution to 1280x720. I have done the flicker modification in the OSD.

Overall the picture is very good, especially with FFDshow scaling the source up to native resolution.

I will play around this weekend and see if there are any more tweaks to be done when my screen is installed. I only have 7 hours on the lamp and most people seem to think that the problem reduces after 20-30, not sure why, but we will see.

8. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I bought an ae-700 from krish av last week and during the demo saw no VB. In the first few hours of use there was still no VB but after a while (approx 10 hours lamp time) i started noticing it. :mad: It really depends on the source material as to how visible this artefact is, e.g. I watched two films at the weekend and it wasn't really a problem, although last night I watched the Newc vs Chelski game on Sky and it was pretty bad through the entire match and really detracted from my enjoyment. It's annoying because it's a stationary artefact and the image moves behind it. It felt like watching the game through a window with marks on it.

I'm going to monitor the situation, power down between uses and do various tweaks. I have to say that if the situation doesn't improve I will be contacting Krish AV to see about a replacement. If this is a batch problem then Panasonic should recall the faulty batches and issue VB-free replacements.

I certainly won't put up with VB long-term, particularly as it is most visible on the football and one of the main reasons I bought a PJ was to have big screen footy.

dan.

9. Lurks

Lurks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Might be a bit of a dumb one but I've had a look around the menus and I can't find anything like this flicker setting. Can someone point me in the right place?

10. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    go into the Options menu, hold down the enter button for five seconds to get a service menu. flicker adjust is on there. use the up/down arrows to scroll through 6 different flicker adjusts (RGB for both ceiling and desk). adjust each setting for the least flicker using left/right arrows.

i've just read some guy on AVS saying that he got the best reduction in VB by lowering each setting from the most stable, i.e. so that they were flickering. I'm going to try some different settings tonight.

other people have reported that the flicker settings change - I noticed this last night. my settings for the most stable picture in flicker adjust were 29 on each panel, but now they have changed a bit - I need 2A on red and blue but still 29 on green.

much as I like tweaking I can't help thinking that for £1299 I should be tweaking to improve the fantastic picture quality, not to remove an annoying artefact.

dan.

11. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into option, and then highlight the 'OSD' menu and hold down enter. Voila.

Update on mine - having adjusted all my flicker settings etc when I first spotted some VB, and removed it, last night I put everything back to the default settings and VB was still minimal.

12. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the production-date is printed onto the bottom of the PJ.
    I wonder wich date it says for people who have the VB problem and for those who haven't.

can you post it?

13. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'll take a look tonight and post for sure. If everyone can do this that would be great - we might find out if this really is a batch problem. I have a horrible feeling it won't be batch related, just a problem with certain projectors i.e. pot luck. On that basis I would expect Panasonic to say that it is 'within normal operating specification' or something like that. grrr.

14. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AE700 manufactured September 2004.

My machine had no VB until approx 5 hrs and then it was really bad. I have noticed that turning the machine off at the mains after use minimises the problem. If I forget and leave the machine switched on then the VB is very bad until the machine has totally warmed up (probably a good hour).

I have noticed the flicker tweak does not really help too much and if I purposely set the R G B panels to flicker and then check VB I would not say it was much worse. I believe the problem is due to heat and hope it will settle down as the LCD panels age slightly.

Note: My machine is best when all the panels are set to the same value, approx 29 from what I can remember and turned off at the mains after use as stated earlier. I have 30 hrs on the machine so far.

I will keep you posted

15. Lurks

Lurks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm one of those which apparently has escaped the VB issue...

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    I will check date on my ae700 when i get home.Also when i turned mine on i noticed some watching sky through scart.As soon as i turned on dvd through component it was gone.Will i only notice it using scart or do others notice with component as well?

17. dnoon

dnoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is also September 2004, my HDMI cable arrives tomorrow so I can see if a digital connection makes any difference

18. dnoon

dnoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I have some other progress you might find useful. After a lot of reading on several forums I came accross the idea that you should NOT set your flicker to stable, bear with me.....

The last few nights I have taken the time to stabilise each RGB only to find that I was frustrated by VB, the hardest test seems to be Starwars Ep2 opening sequence when the ship comes through the clouds, it looked really bad, very deck chair, not what you need for this amount of money.

This morning I adjusted the flicker settings to steady, then thought I would give this idea a try, so..Steady was B27 R28 G27, I moved them to B24 R24 G25, where they were slightly flickering, of course I dont need a strobe lamp :)

This scene is now noticably improved , VB is still there but you really have to look for it rather than it smacking you in the face.

This might be a red herring and I have not tested it long term, but let me know if it works for you.

I will have HDMI from my HTPC tomorrow so can see if there is any improvement there, but at the moment I have HTPC , FFD Show and VGA and it is pretty amazing, when not stripey :)

Good luck

19. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question !

The AE700 is my first PJ so it's a bit hard for me to really compare it to other products, but the picture quality of the AE700 is great IMO !

However, I've had some problems with it - first the VB issuse (which I solved after a lot if testing) and now some really annoying problems with the fan running wild, which I can't figure out.

So... the PJ is far from perfect and if you buy it, be prepared for some glitches :(

20. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By reading this thread, I can see some people still have VB issues.

Try to remove power from the PJ after each use (after proper shutdown and cool-down of course)... this solved my VB issues !

21. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK my ae-700 is 'october 2004'.

Last night I fired it up after 24 hours of being powered off at the mains and right away there was quite significant VB watching sky sports via scart. The flicker settings had also changed by quite a margin, e.g. i had to reduce each setting by about seven steps to stabilise the picture. I then tried various different flicker settings and found that I could reduce VB a little by lowering each setting a couple of notches below the stable position.

Over the next 40 minutes the optimal flicker settings gradually returned to where they were yesterday. I must have spent about an hour in total tweaking the flicker settings but never managed to completely tweak out the VB. I then stopped tweaking and actually watched some sport for half an hour and although I could see VB I found myself beginning to put up with it.

Next I put the main feature on, Kill Bill 2, in 720p from a Denon 1910 and was delighted to see virtually no VB at all and a fantastic picture. I could see VB occassionally on a panning shot of the sky or similar but it was seriously not a problem and the film was massively enjoyable :)

I'm coming to the conclusion that this projector does have a VB issue which is highlighted by a poor source. Tweaking the flicker settings can help and hopefully over time the problem will reduce.

As for the fan - yes, I seem to have a very active fan too - it seems to have three speeds, one very quiet which I get if the PJ is displaying no source, i.e. just the blue background. When I put a DVD on the fan speeds up to a much faster setting and remains there throughout. The third and loudest fan speed happens when powering down to cool the lamp. I seem to have only noticed this since I wall mounted the PJ (no, there are no vents blocked!).

dan.

22. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    danatk - did you have any DVI problems with the 1910 and the AE700 ?

I read that there may be some problems DVI from Demon 1910 on some plasma/PJ screens, but not on the AE700 or ?

23. danatk

danatk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, my 1910 is connected to the PJ with a 5m DVI to HDMI cable from Maplin. The picture is great, but there is a narrow border around the edge of the whole image. It's really a non-issue for me because all you have to do is adjust the zoom on the PJ a little to correct. I have noticed occassional flashes of white noise, something I heard might be a problem with this player. It happened twice during the film last night but isn't really a problem - just a split second flash.

Finally, I did see this macroblocking effect that I've heard about during the burial scene in Kill Bill 2. Again, a very minor issue which will probably be fixed with a firmware update.

Overall I'm happy with the player - the picture is really nice with the DVDs upscaled and it allows me to free up the component input on my projector for a permanent connection to the Xbox.

dan.

24. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The link between VB and flicker is clear to see when you do the adjustment.. if you move the flicker you can see the bands become more prominent, or fade away. I would assume the combination of three colours where they are at the faintest would be best - unfortunately with mine they can't be made to disappear completely except at EXTREME flicker, which also totally oversaturates the image.

25. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    My unit is also AE700 manufactured September 2004.

26. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    I am still unsure to get the Panasonic or not. There is nowhere nearby for me to test one so I would be buying blind. The Panasonic seems my only option though as I want to mount the PJ on a back wall and most other PJ's are short throw so no good. Decisions decisions.

27. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    faitly basic question, but why does VB occur? presumably everyone who is trying to adjust and tweak their units knows what they're doing and why?.......

28. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question, no idea but the fact it only seems to appear after some time (and subsequently fades) and also that it reappears when left on standby (but not when powered off completely) may give some clues.

29. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Davee,

If I was of a sarcastic disposition I would be inclined to reply that 99% of those tweaking their projectors in fact have absolutely no idea what causes VB, nor what it is they are adjusting.

:smoke:

30. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Has anyone contacted there retailer,to find out if this is a major problem?