Panasonic 7 Series Plasma

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when this little beauty is due to hit the shops ? I'm itching to know what it can do and what connections/boards are going to be available for it ?

Stll looking at Q3/4 for the monitor. The new 30 series TV's are based on 6 series we assume, though details are fairly sparse.

Q3/4 is ok-ish I suppose (for me anyway) - It will give me time to save for my denon a11 and the 7 series if it can get the dvi/hdmi output sorted.

I know one retailer has the new Panasonic catalogue and he went through the spec of the niew Viera range. BUT does anyone know if the PW7 monitor will have HDMI input. Also, I'm thinking of buying the PW6 now but wondered if thisa would have an upgrade option later to a HDMI module input?? Any ideas oe advice - I feel like I'm always waiting for the next generation but I guess that's the pace of technology!!

So, thoughts////////////////////////////Pete

There are several very recent threads covering digital inputs and Panasonic. In summary, it has DVI as an option now, this is HDCP compliant, ie you can connect it to HDMI outputs with the correct cable, but unfortunately it gets all stroppy about PAL video. This is the issue which Panasonic needs to address, not the shape of the plug.

aRCaM

Why the rush to go for a 7 Series?

You already have the best of the Standard Definition Panasonic Displays produced so far - the PWD5 was a backwards step from the PWD4 and the PWD6 got them back on track.

Hopefully the PWD7 moves the PWD Series on - though no noises so far on how 'revolutionary' its going to be.

If your not considering a Higher Resolution PHD7 you may want to consider a DVI card for your PWD4 and a Lumagen VisionDVI or Vision HDP as a viable alternative to a new Standard Definition panel.

Best regards

Joe

joe will the 4 series dvi board fit in my toshiba?

are there any issues with this and pal ?

cheers joe

sorry to high jack thread

I think im going to get a 6 series to match up with a new visionHDP....... but im not going to start out with the dvi card because there do seem to be issues. For one it doesnt much like PAL and for two the gamma is a computer gamma, not a video one. Of course this may be worke around, but when Gordon is using his 6 series with rgbhv to vga...... well im happy to follow him and do the same!

ad

John Archer shows his true colours then, he doesn't know the panny DVI is not PAL compatible. Wonder if there are any other mistakes.

Surely not John Archer's fault, it says he got the information from Panasonic and they should know... ;)

Why doesn't he know anyway? He is totally responsible for the veracity of his copy. Or at least the magazine are. All it takes is a bit of jounalistic legwork. Sums up why I take no notice of mag. reviews. Not the 1st time for this kind of thing either.

Normally I find HCC to be quite accurate but of course they will make mistakes from time to time

Although it is harsh to blame him, he should know that there will be people buy on the basis of his review. As such someone could buy it on the basis of misinformation he provided...... doesnt matter it came from panasonic, he needed to check it because it is him who printed it.....

ad

It was information from a press release..! We can't expect him to check technical information given out by manufacturers in press releases... Now an equipment review is another matter and I agree that maybe HCC should have included the DVI card in their 42" and 50" tests, in fact a disclaimer on DVI in general would be a good idea IMO as it's flakey at best with video, as would a warning about the implications of HDCP when using DVI... As I've said before, HDMI can't come soon enough...

I'm sure John Archer/HCC will print an amendment if someone points out the error... Any of you guys care to enlighten them..?

Yours sincerely,

Simon Archer ;)

The way i see it, dvi is becoming a big thing and pal prog likewise.... id have honestly thought it should be in any proper review

ad

There's a coincidence there, Simon. Perhaps you could drop him a hint? And while you're at it could you tell him we'd all like to know what he's connecting to his plasmas in reviews, and how, with who's cables, and whether he's got 2 or more set up together in shoot-outs.

Agree with all that... At the end of the day a review is an opinion, but that opinion should be backed up by fact...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom