1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 6th Gen Displays

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Liam @ Prog AV, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The arrival of Panasonic's latest plasma looks imminent and there seems to be a lot of hearsay and conjecture on the forums as to the how, where, why, who and when of it all! So, to set the record straight here's a list of models and release dates, and some info on the terminal boards. All the plasmas will now enjoy a higher contrast ratio (4000:1 on SD model, above 3000:1 in HD models) with 1536 shades of gradation (presumably DVI will double gradation as it did before to 3072).

CONSUMER MODELS

the basic consumer models have PW6 codes and come supplied with 1 RGB scart terminal board plus the standard VGA port. It is possible to get a TY-42TM6H card which allows connection of the current TUPT600B tuner to the PW6 plasma, as before this will kill all other connections/terminals on the plasma.

42PW6B Launch July 03 (should be w/c 7th July)
    50PW6B Launch Oct 03

the TV models come with a tuner (rumoured to be freeview but never confirmed) built into the main housing of the plasma and also have built in speakers and scart socket(s)

42PA20B Launch Aug 03
    37PA20B Launch Sep 03

COMMERCIAL MODELS

these come supplied with no terminal board as standard. Certainly up to now dealers have generally included the standard CVBS/SVHS/RGB/YUV board but may be tempted to bundle the scart board instead...

42PWD6 Launch July 03 (should be w/c 7th July - our order confirmation says we'll have this in our demo room by the end of next week)
    50PHD6 Launch Oct 03

TERMINAL BOARDS

there's plenty of them this time round and 3 sockets to shove them into! As usual it's never that easy as not every board fits into every hole (oooh Matron!). In terms of the consumer model there are 4 boards to think about

1. Scart - can be fitted to either slot 1 or 2 (comes supplied with consumer plasmas)

2. CVBS & SVHS can be fitted to either slot one or two

3. YUV - can be fitted to either slot 1, 2 or 3

4. Analogue Tuner board can only be fitted to slot 1 and disables all other slots/connections

so the more eager of us out there would have RGB scart (slot 1), CVBS & SVHS (slot 2 if you really needed it!) and YUV (slot 3).

On the commercial side there are more cards still, the most important of which is the DVI one. At the time of writing, no-one at Panasonic was able to confirm which slots this could be connected to and if it would disable any others. Commercial plasmas are being specified with an equivalent to the current BNC board which takes up both slot 1 and 2.

To finish, a complete breakdown of all the boards with their consumer and commercial product codes:

TY-42TM6YB - BNC terminal board (CVBS/SVHS/YUV). 2 slots, fitted standard to commercial plasmas.

TY-42TM6AB - 3 BNC component board (commercial)
    TY-42TM6ZC - 3 RCA component board (consumer)

TY-42TM6BB - Composite and S-Video BNC board (commercial)
    TY-42TM6V - Composite and S-Video RCA board (consumer)

[it might be that the TY-42TM6YB is actually the 2 above boards in one box rather than a different separate board altogether, again I couldn't get hold of anyone to confirm this but I'm hoping to get onto the main man at Panasonic tomorrow]

TY-42TM6TB - RGB scart (commercial)
    TY-42TM6TC - RGB scart (consumer)

TY-42TM6HB - Tuner board (commercial)
    TY-42TM6H - Tuner board (consumer)

TY-42TM6DB - DVI-D board
    TY-42TM6GB - RGB active through (addressable video wall board)
    TY-42TM6PB - 2nd 15 pin sub-D board

P.S. I think this could do with a sticky! I'll keep updating as and when I get more news...

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Liam,

Excellent info, thanks :clap:

A couple of (inevitable) questions ...

What's the difference between a 42PW6B and a 42PW6D - just the terminal boards ?

And no 37PW6B, just the integrated 37PA20B ?

Finally, since the 42PW6B is a "consumer" panel, what is it ? I've seen the 42PA20B (integrated tuner and speakers), and I guess as the 42PW6D is the commercial one it's just a panel (much like the current one). Hmm ... think that's kinda like my first question. Guess I'm just confused about the two different consumer models.

Anyways, it's good to finally get some solid details on the new models. I can see my visa card looking worried already.

Cheers, Carl.

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Yep,

Nice one Liam.

BUT

Can the DVI card be fitted to the 42" standard consumer model (42PW6B )?

AND

Is the same model employing single scan or dual scan technology?

Thanks.

Steve.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Hello all

Its good that we can 'poll' the various bits of info that are gradually coming out of Panasonic UK.

cwick - ones Silver and ones Charcoal Grey and I'm sure once we actually get our hands on them both we'll find other minor differences in menus and timer functions.

I'm sure the Silver model was never intended to be released and I'll bet it'll disappear pretty quickly once the Integrated TV models arrive - too confusing for shop@Panasonic dealers to have two competing 42" models.

We've known for a while that the 37" Display type model was being dropped - the big push is to make the 37" Integrated TV model the biggest selling unit in the UK.

Jackass - as before all will become clear after the launch party on 08 July but I have been told that the PWD models are Single Scan with 100hz processing to stop the flicker apparent on the PWD5 models.

Liam - it does; it just costs a whole lot more :)

Best regards

Joe

5. JamesHouliston

JamesHouliston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anybody know if the speakers on the new 37 inch Panasonic integrated model will be detachable? Thanks.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    James,

they looked pretty permanent to me at the Trade Show in March! The bezel is slightly wider, with the the furthest 2/3 inches or so each side being the integrated speakers. The speaker bit is a darker silver, subtle grille down both sides which is carried on in Panasonic's new floor stand which looks seriously sexy! The overall effect is quite stylish and will definitely help Panasonic's drive to be the market leading Plasma manufacturer....

Jackass,

I would imagine the DVI will work with the PW6 (silver, consumer) and the PWD6 (black, commercial) since it does for the 5 series. I'm not sure on the logistics of the PA20 as I don't think it has much in the way of expansion slots and PUK have only just got their head around the 3 terminal slot PW6. (well they've got their head around it as much as they are going to!) As Joe says, the new model should use single scan glass with a higher refresh rate to minimise flicker - when we get our demo unit you'll be able to tell for yourself as we're gonna have a 5 right next to a 6 during the launch!!!!

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    James,

You can take a look at the new integrated consumer panels here and here (you'll have to tweak the URL on that last one yourself).

The speakers don't look like they're going anywhere in those pics.

Cheers, Carl.

8. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Can you guys find out if the Panasonic fixed wall bracket for the 5 series 42" and 50" (same bracket - can't remember model no.of the top of my head) will fit both the new 42" and 50" models.

Thanks.

Steve.

9. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any idea if there is a shop in London where I could see one of these new panny's working?

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    woody,

please see my first post with expected launch dates. The plain PW6 and PWD6 will be available from next week but the PA20 (with tuner and speakers) isn't launched until aug/sep. If it's just the new panel you want to see we're only an hour away ;)

11. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry - should have read it more carefully.

What is the difference between the Consumer and the commercial units in terms of specs. Is the commerical a more robust unit as it would tend to be left on more than say the average consumer unit? - or is it literally just the initial terminal boards that the units come with that makes the difference?

12. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Joe and others,

That 100 Hz single scan can't be good for Sports fans can it?
    Motion blurring and all that?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve.

13. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All, :hiya:

Joe,

I've seen you mention a couple of times that you are surprised by the appearance of the 6 series 42" silver consumer model, and that you expect it to be dropped once the Integrated units become available?

I can't see why you think this? When I started my "STOP PRESS" thread way back at the end of March it was because I had seen the Panny brochure for the SILVER 6 series consumer PANELS and everything that has happened since then, ie, the stated "roll out" schedule, (including the new 42" silver panel in July) and the 37" model being discontinued, has been exactly in line with the info that I posted then.

I believe that it has always been Panasonic's intention to have both "Panel" & "Integrated" 42" consumer models available "side by side" for the duration of the 6 series production run. They probably want to see how they fair in direct competition with each other in what, (in the past at least) has traditionaly been the most prevalent size of display. This is probably being done in order to assist them plan their long term strategy and make up their minds wether to drop the "Panel" option from subsequent generations of displays, whenever that might be.

I'm sure there must be one or two "Shop@Panasonic" dealers who just might be able to get their heads around this! :laugh:

To my mind this belief is supported by the fact that they have decided to "augment" the 42" displays this time around by going "Integrated only" on the smaller 37" model, (which as you pointed out on the other thread, has always been predicted as the optimum size of display for "mass market appeal") and "Panel only" on the 50" model, (which due to it's price point and sheer size is probably still seen to have limited "mass market" appeal and be of more interest to the "enthusiast" Home Cinema market only).

Therefore, depending on sales, Generation 6 may be the last opportunity to purchase a silver framed "Panel", at least in the 42" size, (the 50" panel may still have a couple of generations left in it) ...... Prospective buyers, you have been warned!

Liam,

Are you 100% certain that ALL models will benefit from the 4000:1 contrast ratio improvement?

The reason that I ask is that on some of the American press releases for the 6 series panels that I've read, it is "implied" that the 853 x 480 Standard Resolution 42" panel will benefit from this improvement while the High Definition (1024 x 768) 42" panel will retain the 3000:1 contrast ratio of the fifth generation.

I know that the 42" High Definition panel will not be being made available in the UK, at least as a silver framed consumer panel, but it may follow that the 50" High Definition panel will therefore retain the 3000:1 contrast ratio of the fifth generation panels.

We shall see............

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Jackass,

the 3 series and earlier were actually all 100Hz and they didn't seem to make much difference on sports programmes. In fact there's a hack to turn your 4 or 5 series into 100Hz (halves your gradation levels though) I just can't find it right now!

KBVD,

all models will recieve the 4000:1 treatment - including the replacement 42" XGA model which will be launched after all the other models (in black only) and the 50" model available in October.

Everyone,

a few things i've been asked which I should cover here:

The DVI board will work in the silver model and is compatible with slots 1 and 2. The DVI board IS HDCP compliant.

There are NO expansion slots on the PA20. Can't 100% confirm the connections on it but basically what you get with it is it. No upgrading is possible.

The scart board supplied with the silver and available for the black is SVHS and CVBS as well as RGB.

15. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Liam,
    One small question if panasonic could have converted the series 5 to 100hz and cured the minority of people's issue regarding the flicker why did'nt they state this ? (ok you've answered this one regarding 1/2 graduation level).
    Also, if the series 4 had the ability for 100Hz, was this in addition to double scan ?
    I'm also a little nervous of 100Hz after seeing many CRTs looking a bit ropey with 100Hz on.
    Oh well, I suppose the proof will be in the viewing.
    I think I will wait to book my day off to come and view until you confirm delivery.
    If panasonic actually deliver next week it'll be the first electronic equipment I've heard of in years that's been available on time !

Thanks to everyone for all the information,
    Steve.

16. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All, :hiya:

Liam,

Here's a link to the press release that I mentioned earlier. The quoted source for the info is Panasonic Broadcast in the USA.

You will see that it claims that both the SD & HD panels sport the new 1536 shades of gradation, but that the 4000:1 contrast ratio applies to the 42" SD display only.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030603/35230_1.html

This same info has been reproduced on a number of sites. (Which doesn't neccessarily make it correct of course!) ;)

No disrespect intended, but one of you must be mistaken?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    steve36

Switching the PWD5 into the mode that reduces flicker on the single scan screen takes the panel out of its stated specification and 'standard' engineering set up so it would be a pain for service engineers and as Liam has pointed it you trade grey scale for less (or no) flicker.

Plus maybe they didn't want to publicly admit they made a boob with the PWD5!

KBDVD - as you say maybe they are unsure about dropping the 'Display' for the Consumer outlets so quickly, but then again its not really hurt Pioneer and you could always add a Silver bezel to a Charcoal PWD.

I just cant see the shop@Panasonic boys wanting 2 x42" Panasonic screens on the shop floor and having to spend time selling one or the other.

Panasonic have made the move in the 37" market they seem to de dithering in the 42" market.

Liam - wait until you see the new Pioneer HDE models; all glass affairs with detachable speakers and a new media box with HDMI inputs.

Best regards

Joe

18. ewf

ewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    KBVD,

got that bit of info from the Head of Technical at Panasonic, was the end of the day though and he is a very busy man so he could of been mistaken. Let's hope he's not mistaken on the DVI bit....

20. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Liam,

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the DVI-HDCP input, that would be a real "deal breaker" from my point of view! I could live with the 50" Panny retaining it's 3000:1 contrast ratio as I was very happy with this aspect of the 5 series panels performance. BUT there is "no way" that I'd be prepared to spend out on my next plasma screen at this point in time without having "future proofed" the purchase with a definate means to access digitaly transmitted copy protected material at some future point.

There has to be a pretty good chance that under pressure from the big studios, the full agreed spec for HD-DVD will include the agreement that access to the full resolution of the medium will ONLY be via DVI-HDCP or HDMI connectors, leaving existing analogue connections to carry a down rez'd, (480p/575p max?) version to displays. I certainly don't intend to get caught with my pants down on this score!

Joe,

From your last post do I gather that Pioneer are to stop producing consumer "Panels" and are switching to "Integrated" HDE models only? Have you got any links / pictures / further info on this? I must admit that I've been so focused on the next generation of Panasonic displays that I've totally lost track of what Pioneer are up to! ....... HDMI equipped media box eh?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

21. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Liam, Joe any idea if the new stand for the 6 series will be backward compatible with the 5 Series.
    Thnx
    Rob

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    KBDVD

The current Pioneer 43" HDE TV will be replaced in the last quarter of 2003 and the 50" HDE TV replaced in early 2004.

I dont have anything to show at this time on the new HDE's - been keeping an eye on Pioneer Japan's website but nothing as yet!

The 43 and 50" MXE Display models will continue well into 2004 with new MXE models arriving late 2004 - Pioneer are pretty confident that the technology employed in the MXE displays is still up there with the best of whatever anyone else has to offer.

The new HDE models will have HDCP HDMI inputs - though I'm told that the matching HDMI equipped DVD players have been delayed until early 2004 due to legal wranglings re copyright protection with digital outputs from consumer DVD players.

Ratoban

The TY-STO5K is listed as the matching pedestal for the PWD6 in my new price list so it and the previous generation TY-ST42PT3-K will be fine.

Best regards

Joe

PS Flights booked for trip down to Panasonic on Tuesday and my list of questions will be to hand when the Q&A session starts in the afternoon!

23. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Joe, still 2 make my mind up whether to go 4 the panny 5 wait for the 6 or buy the Fuji hha10.
    Rob

24. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Joe. :smashin:

I look forward to your "post launch" post with great interest.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

25. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this link for a PDF brochure for the TH-42PWD6UY in the USA.

I am another one waiting patiently for Joe’s feedback next week. Was originally going to get one of those new Panny PD CRT’s.

If the official launch is next week and the dealers have price lists I would have expected more etailers to have been taking pre-orders. So far the only listing I can find is at av-sales.

Panasonic said the PD range of CRT’s were being released in May for 32” and June for 36”. Just this week they seem to have become available.

So realistically when will we see the 6 series???

26. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Zor,
    Unbeatable are also offering the Panasonic 6 and are quoting prices for all accessories.
    I also wonder when they will become available, but looking at some of the current discount prices appearing for the series 5, I must assume that retailers are confident that it will appear very soon.

Steve.

27. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks steve36

Had tried several search engines & nothing. Now we wait.

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    At the moment Panasonic Consumer are talking about the next week or two for launch of the consumer (silver) model. Panasonic Commercial are a little more optimistic, not least of all since the launch is tomorrow! However, both sides are simply waiting for stock so as usual we'll be hanging around for stock, then waiting for various stages of processing, then back order fulfillment, then a little bit more waiting then it'll finally be out in time to watch the Queens Christmas Speech!!!

(in all seriousness I reckon it'll start getting out over the next fortnight to people who placed backorders)

29. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Liam,
    I was going to say something similar to your statement but did'nt wish my slight sarchasm to be misunderstood.
    When the series-5 came out as you know it was a matter of having to order and wait.
    I would pre-order, but I was one of the few slightly disappointed by the series 5 and as I say would like to see this one first.

Even saying that I must admit, to ensure I get one this side of September I am very seriously considering a pre-order.

Can't wait for Joe's comments after tomorrow....

Steve.

30. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a burning question about the new TH-42PWD6UY.

The TH-42PWD6UY brochure states that the unit has a new front protective glass incorporates a new Deep Black Filter that suppresses light transmittance and dramatically reduces the amount of external light reflected, giving a new contrast ratio of 4000:1.

This is great, but whats the Maximum Brightness capability of the new panel ?
    (My D4 service manual gives 780 cd/m3)

Isn't this new super "Front protective glass" going to reduce the brightness...

I can't wait to see one of these new panels, I think my D4 has a fantastic picture when feed from a high quality source, I didn't think you could get any better...

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :)