Panasonic 65VT60 Plasma vs 65"OLED

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Antistati, May 2, 2017.

1. Antistati

Antistati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Panasonic 65VT60 vs 65"OLED

What do you think about them?

Is it worst to buy an 2016-17 OLED or Panasonic 65VT60 give you a good picture???

Thx,

2. Antistati

Antistati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do you have a side by side experience?

3. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well, the Panasonic is NeoPDP gash, driven in that horrible way which produces red and green banding either side of objects on panning shots, vs the 2016/17 OLED which is awesome. Not much of a contest. I saw a 65VT60 side by side against a 55EA980W and despite its flaws, I'd probably still rather have even that LG vs the VT60.

I had an Samsung F8500 (in my opinion the best Plasma ever produced) and my 65" C6 makes it look like an idiot in most respects.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,220
    ^^Sounds like someone is sensitive to the phosphor lag effect. That problem doesn't bother me so much, but the vertical banding in dark grays on almost all OLEDs can drive me batty when triggered. Pick yer poison.

5. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A bit of green trailing on the older Panasonics wasn't a problem - we still have a PZ70. I just find the NeoPDP ones unwatchable. I had to return a VT20 back in the day due to it. The Panasonic on site engineer agreed it was horrible once I'd trained him to see it.

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Yes the OLEDs do lots of things better than the plasmas but the big problem for me is still their lack of uniformity, mostly near black. Something my VT65 and Pioneer Kuro do almost perfectly.

For me the plasma is the lesser of two evils at present but I can hardly wait for the next generation of OLED panels.

7. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    Not very helpful and not many people will agree that the VT65 is "gash" just the opposite in fact, it's better than the F8500 plasma and the clean screen and great near blacks is preventing me from getting an OLED at present.

I'm guessing the OP has a chance to buy a 2nd hand VT65 which would be a fraction of the price of getting an OLED. I think a bit of research and viewing is in order to see if the extra cost can be justified.

8. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I've just moved from a 65vt65 to an E6. There are pluses and minuses to both if I'm being honest. The uniformity is a bit of a non event for me as I absolutely can't see it in content.
    Noticeable near black noise and macroblocking in streamed or compressed content is more of an issue for me. However I watched 'silence' on Sunday which is fairly grainy and filled with dark near black scenes and my E6 knocked it out the park. So I think the message is that good source material shines on the oled but the plasma copes better with problematic source material.
    4k and HDR...well the plasma just can't do them.

9. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OK, granted - gash was a bit harsh. For anyone who can't see that problem, I'm sure they're good sets and probably represent good value second hand now. For me though it was untenable -returning the VT20 and subsequently cancelling the ZT60 in favour of the F8500 was definitely the right course of action. This is what we're referring to here btw - Panasonic VT20 Owners blur & pan shot issues - part 2

I'm keeping hold of my F8500 for the kitchen, but I really can't recommend them enough. They're unfortunately just too rare for the second hand market to be any good. Seem to see the same not very good couple of examples languishing on ebay for ages.

I've had a number of nice sets through the years and undoubtedly the biggest step change in terms of overall quality and enjoyment of the image has been with the switch to OLED.

10. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    You don't have to tell me how good the F8500 was, I owned the 64" for a year :), it was a great TV for me too until it broke, the VT65 just shades it for me on overall terms of PQ though. If the OP could get hold of either of these plasmas second hand this could be an option as opposed to an OLED and much cheaper too.

11. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I can see the driving modes, it just doesn't bother me, and it only happens when you are moving your eyes around the image too. And you can see it on DLP projectors too.

I've not done a side by side on a vt65 Vs an OLED but if you sit there watching static content it will be no contest, the OLED is brighter, sharper, cleaner and less flickery, but the plasmas still provide a better perception of motion in an image than an OLED and for lots of other reasons they are still great displays. Watch some high shutter speed action films (saving private Ryan, black hawk down) and the plasma will look awesome (and it does 3D... ;) ).