Panasonic 65ST50

SilverGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I’m getting very close to purchasing a Panasonic 65ST50 and would be interested in any general thoughts from those that already own one.

• How does this set rate out of 10 ?
  • Have there been any serious issues ?
  • Will I be able to hear buzzing from 10ft away ??

Finally, where did you all buy from ? It seems that very few shops are stocking this TV. No John Lewis, No Richer Sounds either. I’d need to get this delivered and would obviously like the free 5 year warrantee that seems to be on offer. Prices still seem to be £2350 -- £2500.

Thanks for any help.

Morning all, I’m getting very close to purchasing a Panasonic 65ST50 and would be interested in any general thoughts from those that already own one.

• How does this set rate out of 10 ?
  • Have there been any serious issues ?
  • Will I be able to hear buzzing from 10ft away ??

Finally, where did you all buy from ? It seems that very few shops are stocking this TV. No John Lewis, No Richer Sounds either. I’d need to get this delivered and would obviously like the free 5 year warrantee that seems to be on offer. Prices still seem to be £2350 -- £2500.

Thanks for any help.

Firstly I would recommend you seeing the tv in person, this will give you a better idea of its performance.

The main issue for me with this tv is the filter, if your viewing room is bright this could be a problem as the ST struggles in bright rooms as the screen adsorbs the light.

I would recommend using TPS, great service & they offer the 5 year warranty & are very experienced in delivering the larger sets.

I take it you are regretting buying this TV or have already returned it ?

I presently have a 4.5 year old Panasonic 50PZ700 plasma in the same place that this will go. So unless :-

• Panasonic made brighter screens 5 years ago (possible as they did use substantially more power).
  • Or the filters on my 5 year old Plasma are better

then I shouldn't have a problem. Does that logic hold water ?

I do generally watch most of my TV when it's dark outside, but I don't have any issues at all with my present TV in anything but the strongest sunlight (where I really shouldn't be indoors watching TV).

I would love to see it before I purchased, but I live in SE London and nowhere I know of has one to see locally. This is a very rare product it seems. Very "niche".

Did yours buzz badly ?

Thanks for the tip on TPS, they are at the top of the £2,500 price range, but I appreciate good service and the warranty. I've just noticed though that TPS are based in Lancashire and all the deals are based on in-store purchases, so unfortunately that's far too far for me to travel. :(

Last edited:
Hi, I recently changed from a pioneer 508xd to the 65st and don't regret it one bit , neither should you.
Again you should always try to see with our own eyes but I don't believe you would be disappointed

I take it you are regretting buying this TV or have already returned it ?

I presently have a 4.5 year old Panasonic 50PZ700 plasma in the same place that this will go. So unless :-

• Panasonic made brighter screens 5 years ago (possible as they did use substantially more power).
  • Or the filters on my 5 year old Plasma are better

then I shouldn't have a problem. Does that logic hold water ?

I do generally watch most of my TV when it's dark outside, but I don't have any issues at all with my present TV in anything but the strongest sunlight (where I really shouldn't be indoors watching TV).

I would love to see it before I purchased, but I live in SE London and nowhere I know of has one to see locally. This is a very rare product it seems. Very "niche".

Did yours buzz badly ?

Thanks for the tip on TPS, they are at the top of the £2,500 price range, but I appreciate good service and the warranty. I've just noticed though that TPS are based in Lancashire and all the deals are based on in-store purchases, so unfortunately that's far too far for me to travel. :(

Hi,

I dont have one but I was present at the TPS forum day when they had the whole Panasonic plasma range on demo.

I'm not sure about the warranty situation, I would give them a call but to put it in perspective I drove from Oxford to Machester because of the reputation TPS had on the forums & placed a order for a 65VT50 so it depends how Important great sales & after sales service is to you, for me it was a deal breaker.

Here is a picture of tv in daylight cinema mode with the blinds 1/2 open
Yes the filter may not be as good as the VT range but its not rubbish either

Last edited:
Here is a picture of tv in daylight cinema mode with the blinds 1/2 open
Yes the filter may not be as good as the VT range but its not rubbish either

No one said it was rubbish, all I said was if its used in a bright room the filter COULD be a problem.

I have dropped TPS an email and will eagerly await their reply, but a 500+ mile drive is just not feasible with my diary. Worst case scenario, there will be a multitude of Panasonic dealers based on Tottenham Court Road who can source one I’m sure.

First things first though. I’m still interested in feedback from those that own one of these very rare TV’s. :thumbsup:

Jarroda said:
I have dropped TPS an email and will eagerly await their reply, but a 500+ mile drive is just not feasible with my diary. Worst case scenario, there will be a multitude of Panasonic dealers based on Tottenham Court Road who can source one I’m sure.

First things first though. I’m still interested in feedback from those that own one of these very rare TV’s. :thumbsup:

I own one and its amazing.
As said in daylight it doesnt perform at its best. It loses that sense of depth to the image a bit. I would say it performs good in bright daylight not amazing but good.
In low light hold your jaw as it will drop at the amazing image. :)

Im very very happy with my set.

No one said it was rubbish, all I said was if its used in a bright room the filter COULD be a problem.

No of course I wasn't suggesting you were saying that - just meant even though it's not as good as a Vt doesn't mean it is poor:)

Edit I would repeat what insanity says

Ok, my thoughts here are that :-

• This is Panasonic and in terms of picture I can’t really go too wrong.
  • It’s a Plasma and I’ve owned Plasmas from the Pioneer PDP434E with no issues in the main room.
  • It will be directly replacing another Panasonic Plasma (50PZ700E) from 5 generations ago.
  • I’ve measured out the size and know it will fit on the wall.
  • Can’t see any negative feedback except the age old “LCD is brighter in a floodlit room” argument that doesn’t bother me at all.

So that’s the good stuff. And enough to make me go ahead I reckon. My only reservation is that …

• It buzzes badly and can be heard from 10ft away. I had a 42G20 that I had to sell for this reason, but it was in a much smaller space than my main room.

Further questions…

• Can anyone recommend a good wall mount ? Preferably based on experience.
  • Less important. Any recommendations for a low AV cabinet / stand ? Modern looking. Enough space for a reasonable AV Amp + Sky + PS3 + one more device.

Last edited:
I've seen that deal too and had a chat with them. They seem very good and their feedback is also generally excellent, with only their delivery company occasionally coming into question.

They are also (just) within a traversable distance from me.

I'm pushing the limit with the 65, so there's no way I'd be getting a 70 in :nono:

Why not?
I like it and that's all that matters:)

Entirely up to you I was not suggesting anything by the comment only that to me that would not be a normal daytime pic, certainly not with a backlight being on, early evening or the room darkened off edit just realised you mention you have blinds 1/2 open maybe that is why the room is a bit darker

Entirely up to you I was not suggesting anything by the comment only that to me that would not be a normal daytime pic, certainly not with a backlight being on, early evening or the room darkened off edit just realised you mention you have blinds 1/2 open maybe that is why the room is a bit darker

Sorry yes I get you now:), the wall the Tv on is darker than the rest and the sunlight was not falling on that part of the room at the time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom