• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 65" VT65 in bright room

thinknothing

Established Member
Hi guys,

I've uploaded a picture of my new living room below. As you can see it's very bright and so I will be competing with the sun and reflections even though there are blinds on the windows. I really don't like LEDs - just a personal preference. Hence, I'm looking for a plasma that's quite bright. Budget is circa 3k. I've seen the VT50 and didn't think it was really bright enough but I've heard the VT65 is pretty bright. Alternatively, there's the Sam F8500 which is possibly even brighter (though I've heard it falls behind the panny in several key areas). I plan to put the TV on the wall where the purple picture is currently sitting. FYI I watch probably 70% of my TV during the day (lotds of football and cricket) and movies at night - probably 50/50 blu-ray and SD. So, it's a bit of a toss up between brightness, reflectiveness, motion and black levels for me and being able to adjust the set depending on what I'm using it for.

Anyone have any thoughts/ experience on this and care to share their wisdom with me?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• a4063803b0dc190871173bf435bc60d33c1ba1b035eddfb67b0ba1217a2db870.jpg
    a4063803b0dc190871173bf435bc60d33c1ba1b035eddfb67b0ba1217a2db870.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Dr Ed

Established Member
I would say, yes go for plasma and yes the 2 models you are considering do have probably the best filters on them, seeing as they are the flagship models for their respective manufacturers. So yes even so ambient light reflections might be an issue in some seated positions in the day, but at least at night you'll have reference accurate images for you blu ray movies!! If you are happy with that compriomise and a compromise it must be, then go for it, both reviews on this site suggest they are both great. the Samsung does I believe cost substantially less... so you might tolerate a few reflections "more" ;-). Also there are some suggestions that the Samsung can be brighter whilst still having an acceptable DR and black detail ? Have not seen either myself so can't say :cool:

thinknothing

Established Member
I would say, yes go for plasma and yes the 2 models you are considering do have probably the best filters on them, seeing as they are the flagship models for their respective manufacturers. So yes even so ambient light reflections might be an issue in some seated positions in the day, but at least at night you'll have reference accurate images for you blu ray movies!! If you are happy with that compriomise and a compromise it must be, then go for it, both reviews on this site suggest they are both great. the Samsung does I believe cost substantially less... so you might tolerate a few reflections "more" ;-). Also there are some suggestions that the Samsung can be brighter whilst still having an acceptable DR and black detail ? Have not seen either myself so can't say :cool:

Thanks that's a useful point of view. I think I need to wait until more people have set them up in bright rooms as it probably will be hard to assess in the showroom even if I seen them side by side. However I'd say I'm erring towards the Sammy at the moment for the brightness element. Suspect this might help it withstand reflections more.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom