1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 6 Terminal Boards

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Lydecker, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of the two options bellow - what is better for a Tivo/Sky link up:

TY-42TM6TC / TY-42TM6TB - SCART Board
    TY-42TM6Y - Component/Composite Terminal Board

Or will these two acually produce the same image quality (IF the RGB plugs are used on the TY-42TM6Y)

Can both Svideo and RGB plugs be used at the same time on the TY-42TM6Y since it occupies both slots 1 and 2?

THanks!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Each slot is an input IIRC USe TIvo and Sky on RGB and component for DVD.

3. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean that the the RGB connection on the TY-42TM6Y would produce the same quality as that of the SCART?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Lydecker

You will also have to factor in an RGB converter + cables to your musings as your Digibox is outputting RGB + Composite Sync; which can be made to work directly with the PWD6 but its not ideal with the boards Panasonic offer.

Your really want to use a JS Technology RGB converter to convert the RGB+C to RGBHV using the RGB2VGA converter or to YUV using the RGB2YUV converter.

Your options for getting RGBHV into the PWD6 are as follows:

NO RGB Converter:
    TY-42TM6TB SCART input board - approx £125.00.
    With my SKY+ Digibox I found the image to be soft and felt the SCART board compromised the Digibox signal.

With RGB2VGA Converter:
    VGA socket - in built - no extra cost.
    You simply require a decent quality HD15 to HD15 cable and set the VGA input to accept RGBHV in the on-screen menu.

TY-42TM6YB BNC terminal board - approx £200.00.
    In addition to using the 5BNC connectors for an RGBHV signal you also have the option of Composite or S-Video with this board. Using the IR or front panel controls you 'toggle' to the desired input. (Please note its Composite or S-Video plus RGB - you cant have Composite and S-Video).

TY-42TM6PB - PC board (HD15) - approx £63.00.
    Pretty straightforward this one and in conjunction with a decent VGA cable produces excellent results.

If you have a DVD player with YUV and an AV Amp with YUV switching you may want to consider using your AV Amp to switch between your DVD and Digibox - some like the simplicity of this option as its possibly one less remote to use when switching sources.

So if you want to pre switch YUV (or indeed simply input YUV into the display) you have the following options - again assuming you've installed a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter and cables between your Digibox and AV amp:

VGA socket - in built - no extra cost.
    You simply require a cable with 3RCA at one end and an HD15 at the other end and set the VGA input to accept YUV in the on-screen menu.

TY-42TM6AB - YUV board (3BNC connectors) - approx £75.00.
    You simply require a cable with 3RCA at one end and 3BNC connectors at the board end.

TY- 42TM6YB - BNC board - approx £200.00.
    As above you have the option of Composite or S-Video with this board and you can also set the BNC connectors to accept YUV (you use three of the BNC connectors and simply ignore the ones labelled H and V).

If you want to input Composite or S-Video and dont want to use the TY-42TM6YB BNC board you can add the TY-42TM66BB Composite/S-Video board - approx £125.00.

Trust this helps.

Joe

5. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers for that Joe.

I'm a bit puzzled about the connection to the panny 6 too! In another thread ["Panasonic 6 connectivity question"] I've put pics of how I thought my proposed system should connect. Tell me what you think, understanding the new tech is sometimes hard to grasp!

You said earlier that "as your Digibox is outputting RGB + Composite Sync; which can be made to work directly with the PWD6 but its not ideal with the boards Panasonic offer". What do you mean not ideal? Is it something you can visably see? Will a conversion from RGBC to RGBHV make a difference? Again is YUV better still? Is the difference something you need to see for yourself or is it blatant?

I'm looking at source switching, something else you mentioned in your post. I want good quality mixed with convience, not having to unplug anything when I switch sources, but still want sound and picture unaffected. Probably cost too much on my budget!

Thanks,

Alan

6. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jo,

Many thanks for this info - what would be the best option if I have a TY-42TM6Y and want to hook up my Digibox with it; and what conversions would be taking place?

Many thanks!

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The 6 series Panasonic does not allow direct connection of RGB + composite sync (the 5 did!). The 42TM6YB board is a bit of a pain cos it eats up two slots without really providing the kind of connectivity useful in the home.

I would consider converting to YUV and switching through an amp if you're already getting a beefy AV amp and fancy setting up a decent cinema.

If this is gonna be more of a home TV screen too, connection via scart isn't considerably softer than connection via a converter and considering how much easier life is with scart board too..... My advice is demo Sky and DVD via RGB scart to see if you reckon the picture is too soft personally. The odds are very high the minimal difference in PQ is greatly outweighed by the simplicity of just connecting all your devices to one scart switchbox and connecting one scart to the plasma (plus YUV from DVD direct to screen if desired). This then supports widescreen switching, auto source selection, and auto signal sensing for those non-RGB devices. Plus all your devices will be properley connected to any recorders in the system that may otherwise have not had such a direct connection.

8. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got off the phone with Panasonic Plama Technical Suport and they say it is possible to have a direct RGB+Sync signal with the TY-42TM6Y on the series 6 model.

9. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again I just got off the phone with Panny Plasma Tech Supprot and they say athough the TY-42TM6Y uses up 2 slots, it DOES NOT allow both Svideo and RBG - it acts as one slot therefore 1 input.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Lydecker,
    I'd recommend having a play to make sure these two
    things are actually the case.

Neil.

11. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me understand :

the TY-42TM6Y provides (as the old TY-42TM4Y) :
    1 RGBHV 5 BNC / Component connection + relative stereo audio
    1 S-Video / CVBS connection + relative stereo audio

I assume that I can connect a computer to the RGBHV 5 BNC input of the TY-42TM6Y *PLUS* an S-Video videorecorder and select which of the two inputs to watch

OR

I assume that I can connect a Component DVD Player to the RGBHV 5 BNC input (using 3 of them) of the TY-42TM6Y *PLUS* an S-Video videorecorder and select which of the two inputs to watch

OR

I assume that I can connect a SCART RGB with Composite Synch source to the RGBHV 5 BNC input (using 3 of them) AND to the CVBS input of the TY-42TM6Y (1 BNC for Composite Synch) and use the TY-42TM6Y just to watch that single SCART RGB source (selecting RGB on the remote)...

Can you please confirm that?

Thanks,
    napp

12. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to panasonic the following:

NO - there is no *PLUS* If you have Svideo connected it overides the RGB input - you cannot switch between the two.

Again No - same as above.

NO - You CAN use ony some of the RBG Connections to input RGB+S to your plasma.

By the way Panasonic also say they no longer make the TY-42TM6Y with BNC connections - they are all RAC (phono) connections now.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortuantely Panasonic are the last people you want to talk to about Panasonic plasmas! The SVHS socket only overrides the Composite video socket so in fact he can connect RGBHV plus SVHS.

Is also correct

This one is a NO. RGB+Sync is not available on the 6 series Panny.

(I tested most of these options with a client when we first got the plasma in)

14. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Lydecker. THAT IS SURPRISING!

Can anyone confirm that? Any user with TY-42TM6Y or any DEALER?

Thank you napp

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Napp - see above!

Also

Panasonic Consumer never did do BNC boards, on the flipside Panasonic Commercial only do BNC boards and will continue to do so!

16. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you LIAM :smashin:

I do feel better now. TY-42TM6Y with just one input useable would be absurd. What can you say about the RCA-only connectors, as well? No more BNC?

Thanks, napp
    :hiya:

17. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, great, I'm interested in PWD6 indeed.

Lydecker : if you can please suggest the Panasonic Tech Support's guy to read this thread (if he knows what internet is, of course!)

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

Liam - many thanks for keeping us all right; I very rarely hook up Composite video signals so didn't doubt Panasonic when they said it was the same as before on the BNC board*.

napp - do keep in mind Panasonic Consumer (Silver with RCA sockets) and Panasonic Business systems (Charcoal with BNC sockets) are two different companies with different tech support teams and dont seem talk to each other very often (in fact they compete with each other).

Best regards

Joe

(*Just to add some confusion to the discussion - the BNC board will do RGB + TTL SYNC (why? no one knows!)