1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 6 connectivity question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Yen, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I wlll be shortly purchasing a Panasonic 6 plasma and a Pioneer 757Ai DVD player.

This player supports NTSC/PAL progressive scan so I obviously want to connect it via component to the Panny. My question is that I hear that the additional component terminal board is offered in BNC and RCA connector versions?

Is this correct and if so, which component connection type board is best - can anyone also recommend a supplier of decent cables to run between this hardware as well?

Many thanks for any help :)

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The inbuild VGA socket can be used as a component in now and joe@tmf can supply these cables for you. I'm going down this route and should have my new screen on Saturday [please joe please! :) ] it might save you some cash.

Neil.

3. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm in the same boat as you Yen, but haven't decided on alot of the hardware! I have decided that the Panasonic PW6B is worth a look, and I'll be auditioning one as soon as a local dealer gets one in. If I see anything else while I'm there, well I'm always ready to be swayed! :rolleyes:

Anyway, using the Pana6 as a start, I looked into the best way to connect it, to get the most out of it and the costs involved. Using all the interfaces as the image below shows, would mean purer signals hopefully. Using good cables means a lot to plasma displays from what I have read on this forum and mags.

[​IMG]

This does mean buying the extra interfaces for the pana6, adding £300 -400 to the cost depending where you shop. But it will keep the scart cable cost down, good when each of them cost £45 each (Ixos XHT611). Plus (if I'm right) it will enable proper picture in picture.

As far as audio goes, I listen to CD's a little bit more than I watch DVD's or Sky, so I [think] have decided on a dedicated amp and CD player. I want/need to use the speakers from this for the video 5.1 audio. In the setup above it does mean I have two volume levels to control when watching movies. I don't know how much this will annoy me after a while, but perhaps a worthy sacrifice for clearer audio. But that's another thread!

To keep the number of interfaces down, add a scart switch. This may affect the signal, cost more than an interface and another scart cable!

[​IMG]

A set up that many have used if I'm correct is this:

[​IMG]

I don't like it personaly as the signals are being passed through too much before it gets to the plasma. Plus no picture in picture? How do you switch between the Sky, PS2 and DVD? I don't know. It may look like the cheaper option but i don't think it is after you have forked out for the switch and converter!

The method Neil used (component-vga cable) is no doubt the cheapest, but with the least functionality IMHO. Again, how do you switch between your kit? How good is the component-vga cable? Do you have to disconnect everything else when you want to play the PS2?

I seem to have asked more questions than answers! :confused: I won't be getting my panny until October probably, so everything here is subjective/opinion until I get it to fart around with!

Hope you get it sorted and let us know how you did it! If anyone else agrees, disagrees or does it another way, again let us know!

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No you've misunderstood.

I assumed he just wanted to hook up via component, many people with the plasma screen and component DVD players aren't using the VGA port, but now there is no excuse not to.

The VGA port can run as a component in port. There is no conversion required.

If you want other things plugged in then obviously you need more interface boards, but your not losing anything here as you aren't buying anything extra at this stage!

Regards,
    Neil.

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Here is my second room setup [games mostly no dvd watching]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Neil.

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ah right Neil, I understand now! You were right in thinking that I thought the signal had to be converted! Is there any positives or negatives to doing it this way?

You certainly have plenty of game consoles! What type of switcher are you using in your set-up? I'm still at odds on how to switch the inputs i.e. the video and audio. At least pressing a few buttons on a remote is a lot easier than unpluging stuff!

What would you reckon the VGA input should be used for in my proposed set-up? I don't have as many things to plug in as you, and the PC won't be connected right away so that will free up the standard VGA port on the panny. Perhaps the PS2 so I wouldn't need a interface for it. Might have trouble getting a cable for it, and the signal may have to be adapted, much like you have to do if you want to run a PS2 on a PC monitor.

Cheers for the info!

7. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of a TY-42TM6TC (SCART) can the RGB connections be used on the TY-42TM6Y?

8. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

Thanks for the replies and advice.

My proposed hardware consists of the following:

Panasonic Plasma TH42
    Pioneer DVD 757Ai
    Pioneer AMP AX5i
    Keff 2005.2 speaker system.

I initially envisaged that I would connect them as shown on the attached pic. However after advice received (thanks Neil), I am contemplating connecting the prog scan DVD player via the on-board VGA input as after speaking to Joe at TMF, he advises that the add-on component board does not carry out any additional video processing and the same result can be achieved by using a component->VGA cable.

Can somebody advise on the cost of a good cable for this task?

It is also apparent that I could attach a RGB->Component convertor to the Digibox and then plug both the DVD and Digibox into the AV amp to allow audio/video selection from a single remote keypress. Has anybody tried this in this particular setup and does it support PAL prog scan? I believe that in this configuration, I would lose the auto-screen size selection offered by SCART and the dual-input picture-in-picture display (which I'm not too concerned about....)

Can anybody advise on the best all-round setup given the proposed hardware?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Yen

:)

Attached Files:

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, if you get the P6. you +don't+ need the extra component board. The VGA board can be switched into component mode. joe@tmf can send you a VGA to component cable so you can do this. So your diagram is unchanged other than you hook your DVD player into the VGA socket and you lose the component board.

Regards,
    Neil.

10. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers Neil,

So how is the VGA board switched into component mode; is it using the OSD? Just thought of something....does it even have to? If your using a converter from the (amp) switched output signal, everything will be component...right? lol! For example, the sky and ps2 signals will go through the amp as they are, but converted before the display? All except the dvd as already being component you wouldn't want it converted...so with the vga port already in use you either put in another interface to the display or use a component/vga cable and unplug whenever! :suicide:

I really need to get to a hi-shop soon!

I'm re-doing my schematic so you can see what I mean

11. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok read your article. Interesting.

I have 4 devices to connect.
    Sky (+);
    1 VCR
    2 DVD players (why 2: both pioneer one 656 and the other 535; the 535 seems to play discs i have (svcd) that the 656 does not and same vice versa - or maybe i can hook the 535 to one of the scarts on the 656... have to think about that).

Pc connection of game machine is not necessary. Now i noted you used the componet out to recieve dvd signals. Wouldn't a rgb output give you a better picture quality than component?

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When you have the picture I'll comment. :)

Neil

13. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For interlaced pictures RGB and component are virtually the same quality. My point here is that if your DVD player does component out you +don't+ have to buy an extra board as the VGA socket can run in VGA mode.

Neil.