Panasonic 5x RAM Disc compatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bickley, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Bickley

Bickley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having told my sad tale of a Panny 5x 9.4gb RAM disc freezing my venerable DMR-HS2 machine, can anyone tell me whether these new 5x RAM discs are compatible with any Panny DVD recorders e.g E75 or E85?

Incidentally I now have the top off my HS2 and removing the disc manually is not apparently straightforward as the disc is embedded in the DVD drive and more dismantling seems required and possible terminal damage may be done!

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    The new range of Panasonics that are just about to be released support 5X RAM.

I presume at 9.4 GB this must be a double sided disc?

Rather than dismantling further can you not just very carefully find a way of pulling out the tray. That usually works for problems of this nature.

The mechanism will reset itself on power up if you can get the disk out this way.

3. Bickley

Bickley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech I shall try this very carefully!! I have to say having seen the
    'outside' of the inside of the DVD section I think any attempt to dismantle it will probably result in the dustbin gaining another item!!!

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I think 5x RAM support started with the 2005 models - the EH50 and EH60D.

I've replied to your other thread about the stuck disc.

If you search ROYOLD's posts, you'll find he has described how he removed stuck discs by partly dismantling one or more of his Panasonic recorders.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Hi Ian.

I've obviously been under a misapprehension about this issue... or misread specifications somewhere... I had been puzzled why Panasonic did not seem to be 'getting up to speed' on RAM disk support... and having checked after your post, I see they did a while back, as you say.

Bickley - Therefore ignore my earlier post on this. All the currently available Panasonic models have support for 5X disks.

Also - I think you have said that you have exhausted the possibilities, but try all Maldonian's button sequences [ as in other thread] before trying the physical opening of the tray... which should be a last resort.

6. Bickley

Bickley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian and Gavtech and Ian for the various button presses. I have tried many but this is well worth pursuing. I have not dismantled my machine. Having taken off the DVD section cover the disc is quite embedded on its tray and, short of jemmying (!) it, it is clearly not going to shift and if it does I suspect it will be its last!!!

I will look at the dismantling instructions before I do anything else. Obviously the alternative is back to Panasonic but I am loath to spend big money when a new machine with all the bells and whistles can be bought for under £400. However like many of us I enjoy a challenge!!

Thanks for the update re 5x discs

7. shaduf

shaduf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Bickley,
    I have a Panasonic DMR-E100H that is a similar vintage to the HS2 which I also own. The E100H wouldn't eject a disc soon after I had it and Panasonic told me over the phone:
    TO EJECT DISC

PRESS STOP & CHANNEL UP with POWER SWITCH

It worked on the E100H so it's worth a try on the HS2.

Good luck.

Shaduf

8. Bickley

Bickley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shaduf. In fact thanks to Ian & Gavtech for pointing me in the direction of Royold's advice for extracting the disc. I have cracked it and the HS2 is humming away again!

In fact it is clear that none of the later machine's button presses work on an HS2 as I tried them all with no success. However I have removed the disc but the HS2 is a little different to Royold's instructions and it may help others if I outline what I did. Having removed the top cover, I removed the plastic top of the DVD section (4 screws) taking care not to disturb the ribbon connection from the HDD. This necessitates removing another screw holding this down. Then the metal top case of the DVD section can be unclipped. It is held on by two small lugs on each side two thirds of the way to the back. This opens the tray area and the disc can be slid out towards the rear of the machine. Reverse the process to put it all back together. One point to watch is to ensure that the guide 'grommet' which engages to open the caddy tray is put back in its top slot. I did not, so found the draw would not open when I finished. I had to open the HS2 up again but it now fine and back to normal. Moral of tale do not try to use a 5x Ram Disc in an HS2!:thumbsup:

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    :smashin: Result!

10. BigDaddy8181

BigDaddy8181

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bickley! My DMR-HS2 locked up while attempting to delete a file off of a DVD-RAM disc. With attempts at multiple re-starts and button pushing combinations it was apparent that my old Panny was not going to respond to a technical repair. I got out the surgical tools and with your excellent step-by-step was easily able to extract the disc and be back up and running. Took me about 20 minutes altogether - Thanks Again!!

BTW, do DVD-RAM discs have a shelf-life? I am afraid to try the disc that got jammed, but all of my other discs are the same vintage...