Answered Panasonic 58DX902B vs Sony 55XE9005 - which to buy?

darrenhaken

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice on which TV unit would be the better one to purchase?

I have also looked at the 55XE93005 which is slightly more.

Personally I don't think the Panasonic is as good as they say. The local dimming with the honeycomb structure leaves quite blocky light bleed around objects against a dark background. The XE9005 doesn't have as many dimmable zones but gives a more even picture, plus it has better motion than the Panasonic.
The XE9305 does have better upscaling and will support Dolby Vision soon, it being edge lit from the bottom, it makes black bars on movies grey.
If I were looking at a TV now, I'd look at the Sony XD9305 if you can find any left, or the XE9005

Why would I struggle to pick up the XE9305, isn't it a 2017 model?

Why would I struggle to pick up the XE9305, isn't it a 2017 model?

The XD9305, not the XE9305. It is the 2016 model and is lit from the sides rather than the bottom, giving it better uniformity across the screen when watching a movie with black bars

Ah ok I thought that was a typo. Is there any other major differences between the XD and XE?

Does XD support Dolby Vision?

The XD doesn't support Dolby Vision as it doesn't use the X1 extreme chip that the XE uses and it's not as bright for the HDR (still perfectly bright enough though).
Between the XD and the XE9005 though is a very hard choice as they both give very similar pictures

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion, of course, but U.K. Panasonic reps themselves admitted that the DX902 wasn't as good as they had hoped it would be and was destroyed sales wise by the XD9305. Hence the reason they have dropped it from their range without a replacement this year, they are focussing on the mid range market (EX700/750 range) and then skipping straight to their OLEDs

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion, of course, but U.K. Panasonic reps themselves admitted that the DX902 wasn't as good as they had hoped it would be and was destroyed sales wise by the XD9305. Hence the reason they have dropped it from their range without a replacement this year, they are focussing on the mid range market (EX700/750 range) and then skipping straight to their OLEDs

You havent owned either have you?

Panasonic DX902b period.

Came from a calibrated KURO KPR500 and as I have said a few times over these forums, the DX902 is overall better.

As every TV has its highs and lows so does the Panny. But, in order to beat the image quality of the DX902 you will need to invest north of £3K.

I would strongly suggest that you do some research and see what actual users say rather than some "experts".

Try and see if any fellow member lives close to you and check if they can offer you a real demo at their place. Demoing TVs at retail stores is a lost cause.

The only problem is that the DX902 sold out and it is very challenging to find one but, if you can I would recommend to jump on it.

Check also the owners forums to identify those pros and cons.

Good luck with your research.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom