Panasonic 55JZ1500 - I'm now suffering tension headaches!

swift1

Hello,
I recently sold my Pioneer LX5090 which was mounted on a floating wall and was mainly being used for movies.

Initially I was in no rush to buy a new TV as we have a 43'' LED for our daily Netflix, games etc but each time I look at the floating wall I see an empty hole!

I will be using this TV mainly for Movies (watch about 50 films a year) in a dark room with bias lighting. I probably be buying a UHD player at some point but won't be replacing any of my Blurays for 4k disc, again will only buy a couple of 4k discs here and there, so really looking for an improvement over my Pioneer for 2k and without ANY soap opera / motion interpolation.

I was looking at the following TVs:-

Panasonic 55JZ1500 @ £1200.00 with 5 Year warranty
LG 55 C1 @ £940.00 with 5 year warranty

I understand OLED have better blacks but technology not perfected yet, I also don't like the idea of it being prone *screen burn and having longevity issues as I expect the TV to last at least 7 years.
So looking at the high end QLED from Samsung though cannot really see any difference between the 2 other than the 1 connect box.

Samsung 55'' QN95A @ £849.00 with only 1 Year warranty
Samsung 55'' QN94A @ 759.00 with only 1 Year warranty

* I have owned a Hitachi plasma and 3 Pioneer plasmas and never had any screen burn issues with any of them.

Any thoughts?

Dodgexander

You can keep motion settings disabled on any modern TV if you want to avoid Soap Opera Effect or Interpolation artifacts, but you have to understand that compared to Plasma LCD/OLED displays are sample and hold, and cannot draw a lot on the screen at the same time.

This, compared to Plasma introduces stutter, which most people can deal with no problem, but to some, it can be a hard change, and something that may be using some interpolation to prevent.

Aside from that, OLED is a much more natural transition from Plasma than an LCD is. Back when you bought your Plasma TVs you made the decision to go Plasma over LCD, so why would you now choose an LCD over OLED?

Screen burn risk is certainly a factor, but the longevity of an OLED is down to the type of usage. With Plasma TVs long sessions with the same static content could cause damage. OLEDs work similarly, but instead are cumulative.

In other words, on an OLED watching a news channel for 20min a day for a week would be the same as watching a news channel on a Plasma for 140min straight.

But really, what is it about your usage that makes you think that an OLED would be a problem for you? Generally films do not have static logos, or anything that would particularly mean you see burn in in the lifetime of the TV. If you are particularly worried, you could choose instead an OLED TV with one of LGs new EVO panels like the LG G1, Sony A90J or Philips OLED936 instead.

The Samsung models you have picked out are also great TVs, but don't be fooled by marketing. They are still LCD TVs and whilst arguably the best ones ever made, still come with the pros and cons of that technology. The QN95A is the same as the QN94A but with a one connect box to keep connections more tidy.

Maybe this helps you choose between OLED and LCD?

Last thing I can think to mention is about warranty. 1 year is always standard from the manufacturer. Any additional warranty you see advertised is actually an insurance policy that extends that standard 1 year to 5. This extension is always by a 3rd party insurance company, usually Domestic and General. Usually if you read the finer print the extended 'warranty' entitles you to a replacement or exchange for similar spec...but bear in mind they take in to consideration the decrease in valuation of the TV, so you cannot expect the same service, or value in exchange for the TV if it breaks a few years down the line as you would if it broke within the 1st year and in the manufacturer warranty.

Therefore, I wouldn't class the extended warranty that important, it's a nice to have. But it is not something to consider over saving money on the TV to begin with. There's a reason they are given for free on many purchases.

Upvote 0

swift1

Thanks you so much for your input Dodge.

Another thing I realised the Samsung don't have Dolby Atmos or Vision - how will it display DV discs etc?

Between the 2 models, I know theres a price difference but which would you say has better picture quality without professional calibration?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Dodgexander

Every TV has Dolby Atmos support, they can send it externally via HDMI to a compatible AVR or Soundbar.
Dolby Vision is an extension to HDR10, if the TV doesn't include Dolby Vision HDR compatibility it falls back to play the basic HDR10 layer.

Between the 2 models, I know theres a price difference but which would you say has better picture quality without professional calibration?
Which two? If you mean the OLEDs then Panasonic and LG are pretty equal scoring 9/10. Samsung's are less accurate in HDR mode. To me better is more accurate, but that may not be the case for everyone. If you want the picture to be more striking then Samsung will deliver that more than an OLED that will be more refined.

Upvote 0

swift1

Good Evening Dodge,
Thank you for your input again.

This morning I demoed the JZ1500, LG C1 and the QN95A all were set to Filmmaker mode (whichever TV I get that's the setting it will be left on as I do not intend on getting it professionally calibrated).

QN95A - very good picture but could not match the black levels of the 2 OLEDs, so that went off the list!

Now the JZ1500 v C1, for the life of me I could not tell the difference as both seemed equally as good, though having said that I think the JZ1500 had the slight edge as the colours seemed slightly more natural. Is the JZ1500 worth couple hundred pounds over the LG probably not, but do I want a Panasonic? Oh yeah! I thought I'd wait until Easter for the prices to come down a little more.

Then couple of hours later I was looking at the Blue Light Card app and Panasonic offer 15% discount, well it would be a crime not order now - so I did!
Just need buy a bracket.

Thanks for your help Dodge.

Upvote 0

swift1

Hello,
I have had the the 55JZ1500 for few days now, impressed with the picture quality and upscaling however within 10 minutes of watching something I'm getting tension headaches!

I'm sitting 2.4m away from the TV (Screen to eye distance).
I got everything set to 'Film maker' mode and have since reduced the luminance to 'Zero' and the contrast down from 90 to 70 and I have read somewhere to add BFI, I got BFI set to 'min' now and although this helped slightly, the image is pretty dim!

I'm already wearing glasses and do not want to risk my eyesight going anymore worse by using this TV but on the same token I don't want get rid of it either, so any help or advice be much appreciated.

Previously I had the Pioneer 5090 and never had any issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Dodgexander

Have a look at this recent thread:

I'm not sure the headaches are necessarily a sign of your eyesight being damaged. First thing I'd try is some bias lighting.

Upvote 0

swift1

Hi Dodge,
I forgot to mention I already have bias lighting (6500k).
I will go through the link and update soon.
Thanks

Upvote 0

swift1

Funny enough I had an eye test last week few days prior to the TV being delivered, my prescription has changed ever so slightly but need varifocals now, so am getting new glasses but doubt will make any difference with the issues I'm facing. Though I will speak with them when I collect the new glasses.

I had a read through the link you sent earlier, I couldn't find a blue light filter on the TV, but under White Balance B-Gain to -5, changed the Colour Temperature to Warm 3.

Under the Colour management I can see the following blue settings B-Hue, B-Saturation and B- Luminance which I'm not sure whether or not to adjust any?

I have also been contemplating on maybe downsizing to a 48" but going to tiny in the wall unit that I built for the Pioneer initially.

Attachments

• IMG_6901.JPG
    IMG_6901.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

Dodgexander

You can try reducing B luminance and saturation to see if it helps.
You can also try using motion interpolation, in case it's the stutter that is causing your issue. There's a big difference in motion between Plasma and OLED.
Frame insertion is usually bad for headaches as it makes the TV flicker, if you are actually having a better time using frame insertion then it's pretty unusual.

Upvote 0

Kapkirk

Hello,
I have had the the 55JZ1500 for few days now, impressed with the picture quality and upscaling however within 10 minutes of watching something I'm getting tension headaches!

I'm sitting 2.4m away from the TV (Screen to eye distance).
I got everything set to 'Film maker' mode and have since reduced the luminance to 'Zero' and the contrast down from 90 to 70 and I have read somewhere to add BFI, I got BFI set to 'min' now and although this helped slightly, the image is pretty dim!

I'm already wearing glasses and do not want to risk my eyesight going anymore worse by using this TV but on the same token I don't want get rid of it either, so any help or advice be much appreciated.

Previously I had the Pioneer 5090 and never had any issues whatsoever.

Having BFI switched on will give headaches, turn it off completely,
Use the Cinema preset only for now on the input you are using, sky or cable box or tv.
Turn BFI OFF, turn IFC to LOW or off (low setting will help a little with juddering) turn luminance to 30, Contrast to 88, sharpness to 35, brightness 0-2, and on colour temp use warm 2., vivid colour -off, colour remaster - off , ambient sensor -off, Noise reduction - off, mpeg - off, dynamic range remaster - off. turn resolution remaster to auto.
Try it like that for a few days and see if headache subsides. Dont forget when you change to a different input all this will change again to defaults unless you use the copy function to copy current set up to ALL other inputs.
If the CINEMA preset seems too wishy washy set all of the above up on the custom preset, this preset will give a little more punch but keep bright whites in check.

Upvote 0

swift1

Dodge, I've turned the BFI off (was set to min) reduced the B luminance and saturation, turned the motion interpolation to min (though I hate SOE).

Kapkirk, I'll give your settings a go in a few days after I see how I get on with the above adjustments first.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Kapkirk

Dodge, I've turned the BFI off (was set to min) reduced the B luminance and saturation, turned the motion interpolation to min (though I hate SOE).

Kapkirk, I'll give your settings a go in a few days after I see how I get on with the above adjustments first.

Thanks
Not sure how much the settings page has changed from the HZ which I have but those settings work for me, I get terrible headaches from watching LED TV's, never seemed to get them as bad with my old Plasma set. I asked my optician to put a level 1 tint on my prescription which has helped also.
Dodge is the expert on all things telly's so I'm sure he can advise further.

Upvote 0

swift1

I now can watch the TV for almost 45 minutes before I start to get headaches, a vast improvement from the usual 10 minutes last week, so I think there is hope that I can keep the TV.

TVs clocked 24 hours so far.
Done some grey (0, 5,10%) slides and colour ones (Film maker and increased the luminance to 30 and contrast to 90 for the purpose of the photos).
What am I looking for?

Attachments

• 20220418_234310.jpg
    20220418_234310.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220418_234304.jpg
    20220418_234304.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220418_234259.jpg
    20220418_234259.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220418_234044.jpg
    20220418_234044.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220418_234028.jpg
    20220418_234028.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220418_234006.jpg
    20220418_234006.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220418_233946.jpg
    20220418_233946.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220418_234315.jpg
    20220418_234315.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220418_234319.jpg
    20220418_234319.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220418_234323.jpg
    20220418_234323.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Dodgexander

I now can watch the TV for almost 45 minutes before I start to get headaches, a vast improvement from the usual 10 minutes last week, so I think there is hope that I can keep the TV.

TVs clocked 24 hours so far.
Done some grey (0, 5,10%) slides and colour ones (Film maker and increased the luminance to 30 and contrast to 90 for the purpose of the photos).
What am I looking for?
Why are you running the slides?

Upvote 0

swift1

My tv viewing during summer months is very minimal (about half hour a day) and we use another TV for that, as this is mainly going to be used for movies and again this is usually during winter, I don't want to find out few months later on of any issues where I won't be eligible for an exchange, hence run the slides as some are reporting issues.

Upvote 0

swift1

Thanks again Dodge.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom