Panasonic 55 jz-1500 enhanced audio return with Xbox series x

spenna

My setup consists of Panasonic 55 jz-1500 oled TV which I recently bought,a Denon AVR-X4500H and the Xbox series x.When the TV was first setup I signed into my Netflix account,prime video ETC.Then initially I had a problem with enhanced audio return to the Denon AVR.If I watched Netflix ETC on apps in the TV or anything plugged into HDMI inputs on TV(these would be a Google TV Chromecast and the xbox) I had audio drop outs.The amp was being flagged Dolby Atmos so I know EARC was working in that respect that it was sending ATMOS to the Denon amp.Alongside the audio drop out, the front panel display was flickering as if the signal was getting disrupted.I previously used standard audio return on my previous Panasonic TV because that TV did not support EARC and had none of these problems.So I went into menus on the Denon AVR and the TV to make sure all the audio return were active ETC and they were.So then I established the HDMI lead from the EARC compatible HDMI socket on the TV to the Denon must be the problem.The lead is not excessively long only 1.5m so not as if it's 5m plus or anything.I tried another HDMI lead the same problem,then another then it was OK no drop outs.I thought I had solved the problem but I still have the problem with Xbox series X.This is plugged direct into the TV because my Denon does not support 120 Hz,ALLM etc like the more modern Denon avr's.So I am relying on the EARC on the TV.I have tried different HDMI leads in the Xbox itself and gone into the menus on the Xbox and altered different settings,told the Xbox not to send Atmos etc did not make a difference.The latest thing I have established which is the thing that's puzzling me if I tell the Xbox not to do 120hz just do 60hz and keep all other modes active eg. HDR and even Dolby Vision on games and keeping the Xbox plugged direct in HDMI 1 on TV that supports high frame rate etc I have no audio drop outs and the signal is stable,no flickering on the front of the Denon and the AVR is still being flagged as Dolby Atmos.But as soon as I put Xbox into 120hz mode I have audio drop outs.I am just puzzled because I am putting the Xbox direct in to the TV not trying to go into the Denon.I am certain there are no faults on the Denon or the Panasonic TV because they work alright in every other respect.Has anyone else experienced this,and if so have they found a way to resolve it?.Has a last resort I did not really intend this is buy a newer AVR that allows 120hz ETC and plug the Xbox direct into the AVR.Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
1. Uninstall the Dolby Access app from Xbox, its presence is known to cause issues for some and remove Atmos for testing as Xbox uses an Atmos upmixer.

2. Set Xbox audio to uncompressed PCM 2.0 (stereo), test and see if audio drops at 120Hz.

3. If above works fine, now set Xbox audio to uncompressed PCM 5.1 and test at 60hz and 120Hz.

That will establish if it can do normal PCM stereo or surround sound reliably at 60/120hz.

frankblackfire

I have the same issue with 120hz and 5.1 PCM. I have an eARC hdmi audio extractor connected to my JZ1500. The same things happens when you out put 5.1 dolby digital via ARC.

spenna

Yes I tried uninstalling dolby access app and tried 2 channel pcm and 5.1 pcm.The sound drop outs are still there.Does not seem to be dropping out as frequently but still dropping out.When I put Xbox back into 60hz mode in conjunction with both 2.0 channel pcm and 5.1 pcm no drop outs.It even happens in static games menu it's not as if it only happens when you are playing any game,just in case it was some sort of memory buffering in Xbox or something.But realistically I do not think it's that because SSD drive directly configured to Xbox architecture,and you would obviously get it all the while but like I say it disappears when I put Xbox back into 60hz mode.Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
Its not the Xbox but the TV most likely, the Mediatek chipset used (not just by panasonic) is known to have limitations with 120hz mode like half vertical resolution and perhaps this is another side issue.

frankblackfire

You get the same droputs from the optical output of the TV and Dolby digital and 120hz from Xbox. I believe its an issue with the TV.

Last edited:

spenna

That's something I would have thought have trying taking an optical lead from the XBOX into the DENON and just have straight Dolby digital 5.1.It is not possible they took optical out off the Xbox series X just the HDMI socket

spenna

Realistically I would prefer out and out quality in my games,as you know 120hz is smoother and quicker response times ETC but you sacrifice detail in the graphics.It just would be nice to put the XBOX in 120hz mode occasionally because the Panasonic jz1500 is capable of it.You know what it's like,common sense really if you buy something you want to utilise every feature its capable of.I feel no less about the Panasonic jz1500.In my opinion it's a stunning TV it deserves all the positive reviews it's getting.I replaced a 4 year old Panasonic oled with it,I thought my previous oled the HDR wasn't impactful enough.HDR great with the jz1500.If I was fortunate enough to afford a new av amp/receiver in the future that allows 120hz passthrough and do what I used to do connect XBOX into the amp that would solve the problem,because the audio is being processed direct into the amp?.

spenna

Just an update.I was fiddling with settings again and there was one setting I missed in the PANASONIC TV.This was HDMI signal format auto,pcm Dolby surround etc.I put it on Dolby surround,ok it is a compromise I am not getting full Dolby digital just downmixed to dollby surround.Yes I can apply Dolby surround or dts neural X and get pseudo surround effect through the speakers.But I can put the XBOX SERIES X into 120hz mode and it hasn't entirely solved the problem but the sound drops out intermittently,where before it was constantly dropping out.I still have the same scenario has before if I put XBOX in 60hz mode no drop outs at all has mentioned before with Dolby digital active ETC.Even though my DENON AVR-X4500 has enhanced audio return on it,does anyone know if EARC has ever been updated to newer versions for better compatibility ETC?.The reason I ask because my DENON is a couple of years old I wondered if newer AVR's from all the manufacturers handle EARC better ie. they implement a newer version of EARC.Because if I was fortunate to afford a new AVR I would consider one.But if EARC has never changed I would stick with my current DENON because otherwise I am more than happy with it.Thanks.

XeNoNF50

I have same issue but with Sony soundbar. Drops out every few seconds when passing through xbox series x in 120hz. But tbf no games are in 120hz and you can't do dolby vision in 120hz so I am generally ok with it.

Still, hope it gets resolved.

spenna

I have same issue but with Sony soundbar. Drops out every few seconds when passing through xbox series x in 120hz. But tbf no games are in 120hz and you can't do dolby vision in 120hz so I am generally ok with it.

Still, hope it gets resolved.
Thanks for your reply.Yes there is that.there are very few games in 120hz aren't there.I suppose if I did take the plunge and buy another av receiver (it would have to have quite a few new features to justify replacing my existing Denon receiver),I could plug the Xbox directly into the receiver because all the newer receivers have 120hz passthrough ETC then the audio side of things is going directly into the receiver and then in theory it might solve the problem?.Pretty much what you hinted at the problem isn't the end of the world,you just wonder sometimes why these things happen.

XeNoNF50

Thanks for your reply.Yes there is that.there are very few games in 120hz aren't there.I suppose if I did take the plunge and buy another av receiver (it would have to have quite a few new features to justify replacing my existing Denon receiver),I could plug the Xbox directly into the receiver because all the newer receivers have 120hz passthrough ETC then the audio side of things is going directly into the receiver and then in theory it might solve the problem?.Pretty much what you hinted at the problem isn't the end of the world,you just wonder sometimes why these things happen.
I will check this out once my Sony HT-A9 arrives in a few months since it's on back order

stephentw

I'm having an eARC headache with my JZ1500 and Denon 6400. Mine also does the sound drop outs from Xbox SX in 120hz.

The main thing that's bugging me is the audio modes don't display correctly. If I pass 5.1 PCM via eARC my Denon doesn't pick it up as "multi in" which it does when directly connected to the AVR. I also can't apply Dolby or DTS Neural X upmixing to upmix the 5.1 PCM to my height channels.

Are the formats displaying correctly for you on the front panel of your Denon?

spenna

Hi Stephen.My Denon does show up on the front in the right format Dolby Atmos,Dolby digital ETC.I have been trying things again.I must apologise to frankblackfire who responded previously to my post I misread his response,I thought he meant take optical from the XBOX but when I read his post again he meant take optical from the PANASONIC TV itself.I tried that but I had to turn the EARC off in the PANASONIC sound menu before it would let the optical out become active otherwise it would not send bitstream to my Denon (I suppose that sort of makes sense).After doing that I can now get straight Dolby digital 5.1 alongside 120hz active on the XBOX with no dropouts (because even straight Dolby digital before with 120hz active was dropping out).With the optical,I knew this anyway you will not get Dolby atmos.I have since found out by keeping EARC switched off in the Panasonic I can get dolby digital down the audio return channel with no drop outs.I could probably do away with the optical lead now because it's acting the same way.All I can think by disabling EARC in the Panasonic it's reverting back to standard audio return channel.Out of curiosity sake I reinstalled Dolby access app on Xbox to give Xbox Dolby Atmos functionality again then as expected using process above my amp was being flagged as Dolby Atmos but drop outs again.Another observation which may make sense is keeping EARC disabled in the TV sound menu you will have a problem if you try and watch NETFLIX etc in ATMOS,it was flagging amp as ATMOS but no sound and flickering display on the front telling me obviously signal not right.So you would have to switch EARC back on in the PANASONIC.Not a huge problem for me if I didn't want to keep switching EARC on and off in the TV because I have an APPLE TV going direct into the DENON and can use this for Atmos content.Another observation though a strange one, with EARC still disabled in the TV I can watch Netflix on a Google TV Chromecast plugged direct into the TV and my Denon is being flagged as Dolby Atmos and no dropouts.The only thing I can think unless I am mistaken because the likes of Netflix and the other streaming services piggyback DOLBY ATMOS on to a DOLBY DIGITAL + bitstream standard audio return will carry DOLBY DIGITAL +.Unless I am mistaken I think EARC comes more into its own with DOLBY TRUE HD and DTS MASTER AUDIO because it is compatible with them.I can't explain why Google TV sends Atmos with EARC disabled but streaming apps in TV won't.I don't know how you feel but now I have found a workaround I am not that fussed about DOLBY ATMOS with games straight Dolby digital will be good enough with games.I would be interested to know if the above worked for you has it sounds like you have a similar set up to me.Thanks.

stephentw

Yes I think ARC works with DD+. Correct eARC is required for lossless audio.e.g. TrueHD and DTS HD MA and PCM.

The Xbox sends Atmos as multichannel PCM plus Atmos metadata. It's called Dolby MAT.

Thanks for your reply. So does 5.1/7.1 PCM from Xbox to TV then over eARC to your Denon give you "multi in" displayed on the front panel? Helps me eliminate the TV being the issue.

spenna

Yes it does say that on the front panel display of the Denon.All these little foibles aside it's hard to pinpoint if it's the Denon or the Panasonic TV with the audio return issues,are you happy with your Panasonic jz1500?.I am very happy with mine,stunning picture quality.

stephentw

Thanks for the info. Proves it's not the TV then and something with my Denon 6400.

Yes, I'm happy with mine, the TV is great, even for standard blu ray, stunning!

kotfr1tz

Novice Member
Hi guys! I have the same problem with my Yamaha RX-V585. This modes has eARC support and it worked fine with my last TV (LG SM9000). Can anybody confirm that Panasonic + XSX + AVR works fine for him in 120hz? If so, what AVR are you using?? I would gladly change Yamaha to something else, but I'd like to now that it will work ok for sure.

stephentw

It seems to be a Panasonic issue @Thatsnotmynaim and me both have the same issue with Xbox and JZ series earc causing audio dropouts on 120hz mode. It definitely works on an LG C1 and CX so there's something nor right with the JZ series. I've not contacted Panasonic yet though.

XeNoNF50

It seems to be a Panasonic issue @Thatsnotmynaim and me both have the same issue with Xbox and JZ series earc causing audio dropouts on 120hz mode. It definitely works on an LG C1 and CX so there's something nor right with the JZ series. I've not contacted Panasonic yet though.
Yeah I checked and the issue remains even with my Sony HT-A9

stephentw

The JZ owners thread has quite a lot on this now, theres a lot of us with the issue and some feeding back to Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification