panasonic 50vt20b early impressions

tinmanuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well ive had the tv about an hour and am running it on factory settings. the black levels are very good but just a tad off those of my previous lx6090,

However the picture seems much crisper and the motion handling better. credits on films can now also be read which i was never able to on the lx5090.

The picture is a little bright for my liking on normal settings so need to re adjust those.

As for 3d i dont have any blu ray 3d disks yet but have checked sky3d and although there is only footbal on at present which i dispise ( unless its the world cup ) i must say its very good

the glassess whilst they function very well are **** and will be the first things i replace, just too uncomfortable

will post more as i get my head round it all later tonight / tommorrow but if anyone has some nice settings for the tv let me know :smashin:

I normally just have it on THX for everything barring PS3 & 3D when I pop it on cinema (true cinemas a bit dark for me) glad to hear sky 3D looks good though I'm having it installed on Sunday :)

Having got used to the glassess and watching more sky 3d yesterday all i can say is it is fantastic and would recommend anyone thinking about getting a 3d tv to try it :smashin:

Not noticed any of the problems mentioned about this tv in other threads and must say coming from an lx5090 I am very impressed :thumbsup:

Other tv pictures now seem very 'flat' in comparison :devil:

Ok a few days in and now in comparison to my old pioneer lx5090
vt20 is better for;
blu ray, very crisp and much better motion ( the wife described it as if someone had washed the screen compared to the pio
3d stuff is awsome either on bluray or sky 3d
sky hd much sharper

vt20 is worse for;
poor quality sd channels
input lag on games - not much in it but was better on the lx5090 in my view ( only noticed on a video scene in a game )

did you have your pio calibrated ? i got mine done and the difference was amazing. i'd only ever get rid of mine if it broke.

ive just sold my 6080 for 1750 and now gonna buy a 50vt20. should get for the same price so an upgrade in technology and material for watching, but a smaller version... oh well, cant have it all...

once i get it, ill be sure to post my opinion...

one thing i will say, its interesting to note how people coming from kuro 1080p find the pannies...

i was totally unconvinced by 3d, and then had a demo at currys, no salesman, just the glasses and me and a test bluray, and i was totally immersed. loved it... doubt that will be my overall experience, but to see something that good, sold me.

lets see how it works out in practice!

just managed to get the 50vt20 + btt350s for 1980 from andrewstvdirect.co.uk (colchester) with 5 year in store warranty.

ironically, doncaster panasonic store is doing 1920 for same deal but im in london!!

just managed to get the 50vt20 + btt350s for 1980 from andrewstvdirect.co.uk (colchester) with 5 year in store warranty.

ironically, doncaster panasonic store is doing 1920 for same deal but im in london!!
still loving mine, let me know how you get on with yours :smashin:

should have gone to dixons cheekychappie they are knocking these bad boys out at 1675 or were

should have gone to dixons cheekychappie they are knocking these bad boys out at 1675 or were

well ive just found out that i can get it for £1399 from costco, i still havent bought yet, and i want the 5 year warranty... costco plus 5 year warranty @ 1399 inc the bdt100 is an absolute steal!!!

well ive just found out that i can get it for £1399 from costco, i still havent bought yet, and i want the 5 year warranty... costco plus 5 year warranty @ 1399 inc the bdt100 is an absolute steal!!!

Wow. Great price. Is that the in-store price, or have you managed to get an individual deal?

That is the instore price, with a discount voucher of £180... valid til 6th jan, hence im foaming between the legs to get one, but i cant find anyone with a bloody costco card!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHH

i need help!

That is the instore price, with a discount voucher of £180... valid til 6th jan, hence im foaming between the legs to get one, but i cant find anyone with a bloody costco card!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHH

i need help!

Does this actually mean that the instore price is £1580? Does it come with the 3D player aswell?

i dont know how they work it out, but the instore price is 1609. there is a voucher which gets it down 180 (as per the receipt) but they end up charging you 1398... so im guessing the 180 isnt including the vat, so is then added (dont know if that calculates right, but i really dont care if i get for 1398.

i think you have to opay 37 extra for the dvd player, read the other thread, or ask the guy? Brownvim is his name.

im gonna phone my local costco and make sure of the details...

just phoned and checked, MK have stock and 1398 is confirmed as the right price, including the 3d bluray player...

bargain or what?... 5 year warranty too... insane.

Tempting offer this..
Do you need a voucher to get it at that price?
And do Costco offer 5 year guarantees on all their tv's or is that an extra cost, and either way, are their 5 yr warranties any good?

I have Costco membership but we don't get the vouchers and we haven't been in a while.. Gona pop in next week and see if I can get some more info on this deal.. :thumbsup:

Edit: another question - Does the 50VT20 do 2D to 3D conversion now? I know the new 42" & 46" ones do but not sure if its been added to the 50s by way of firmware update or anything. I appreciate people say its a gimmick, but i've heard enough people (fiends) say its great to convince me..

Last edited:
just been to costco - no mention of a free BD player though?

thats the catch, there isnt a free player. any company offering a discount of this amount is just selling the tv as a stand alone item and not a package. they couldnt afford to do it otherwise. if you go all panny you will pay the same as the package deal. they are just simply offering a different way of getting one but lets face it, who wants to go and spend 1400 quid on an apparently top of the rang 3d plasma to bring it home and not watch 3d there and then? NO ONE.

i dont think you have got what i am saying, YOU DO GET THE BLURAY PLAYER with this. it costs 4.99 for the benefit of it. i have phoned 3 different stores.

the coupon is a natural instore offer. it DEFINATELY is there, as has been purchased already. they even have them in stock!!

Tempting offer this..
Do you need a voucher to get it at that price?
And do Costco offer 5 year guarantees on all their tv's or is that an extra cost, and either way, are their 5 yr warranties any good?

I have Costco membership but we don't get the vouchers and we haven't been in a while.. Gona pop in next week and see if I can get some more info on this deal.. :thumbsup:

Edit: another question - Does the 50VT20 do 2D to 3D conversion now? I know the new 42" & 46" ones do but not sure if its been added to the 50s by way of firmware update or anything. I appreciate people say its a gimmick, but i've heard enough people (fiends) say its great to convince me..

i doubt costco offer a 5 year with this tv at this price.

as far as the 2d-3d coversion is concerned, this is something that i will not be using at all.

i have demo'd the panny gt20 and the vt20 and all the samsungs in 3d mode. never had a headache or felt sick ect. went to a shop and demo'd a led set in a proper demo room all set up ect. it was playing caroline. within 5 minutes i had a spliting headache and felt sick. went back the next day and the same happened. this has never happened on any other screen.

i done some research on it and it seems the conversion can cause headaches ect. went again and same happened so i asked sales person if it was a true 3d film or just converted. he said it was a true 3d film but further research has resulted in a definate answer. you cannot buy caroline in 3d as we know it today. it is the old style 3d so the disk is converted.

just be careful with the conversion function.

i dont think you have got what i am saying, YOU DO GET THE BLURAY PLAYER with this. it costs 4.99 for the benefit of it. i have phoned 3 different stores.

the coupon is a natural instore offer. it DEFINATELY is there, as has been purchased already. they even have them in stock!!

sorry, so are you saying it cost £4.99 for a panasonic 3d blu ray player if you buy a £1400 3d tv from them?

davie, bought the tv, no dvd player with it, the sales guys didnt have a clue what it was all about, however, i got the tv with 5 year warranty at 1398.23 inc vat. £45 for a cab home with it and set it all up myself.

tv is very nice, but have noticed the xbox dash looking not so nice when moving objects are on it, thats worrying as no effects are enabled, this is just the way the screen produces the image :(

thinking of taking back as i can get the LG for £900, a £500 saving and overall, the value seems better with the LG. disappointing really.

might keep it, might not. althought leaning to not atm.

Sorry to hear this, Cheeky!
You sounded so keen about the VT20.
Keep us informed as to what you decide to do.

davie, bought the tv, no dvd player with it, the sales guys didnt have a clue what it was all about, however, i got the tv with 5 year warranty at 1398.23 inc vat. £45 for a cab home with it and set it all up myself.

tv is very nice, but have noticed the xbox dash looking not so nice when moving objects are on it, thats worrying as no effects are enabled, this is just the way the screen produces the image :(

thinking of taking back as i can get the LG for £900, a £500 saving and overall, the value seems better with the LG. disappointing really.

might keep it, might not. althought leaning to not atm.

i was panny mad mate, but after a proper demo on the vt20 and gt20 in a proper panny store i fast realised that it was not all that it said and defo not worth all that extra cash!

dont get me wrong blu ray and 3d is stunning on the vt20 but the main use of the tv is normal viewing so to some (me included) the pic on blu ray did not compensate for all the problems this set has and the cost.

i have viewed every 3d set that is out there now. i would think seriously hard about the lg 3d set. personally i think you can do better with your cash.

i battered my own head so much and i couldnt make up my mind. i always say to people that the best thing at the minute is a good all rounder.

people reckon panny is the top dog, on paper it might be, but the samsung sets are serious compation.

i am due to get the samsang c680 tomorrow (fingers crossed) i seen this tv in someones living room on sunday and i was stunned at the pic quality. for 770 quid this 50 inch 3d plasma is good.

if i was going to buy a tv like i am tomorrow, and money was no object (unfortunately it is lol) i will not buy the panny.

the best 3d set i have seen that is stunning in every aspect and blows the panny away is the samsung led 8000.

yeah, cant do led, or lcd, those have issues that actually drive me nuts, so couldnt go there.

had a pioneer before, 3 years ago i bought it, and i remember looking at the pic of other plasmas at the time and seeing this problem. i demo'd it last week, and didnt norice it, but it didnt have any human faces on there, so i guess i just didnt see it as obviously.

ah well... might buy a 5090 on ebay or from the classifieds here.

bugger.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom