Panasonic 50PZ70 24P Support

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Palfers123, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Palfers123

Palfers123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I've got a 50PZ70 coming on Tuesday from John Lewis to add to my Onkyo 85 /Tosh EP35 / PS3.

I chose this unit after much deliberation about 24P compatibility and was then swayed by the fantastic offer at John Lewis - £1297.

Whilst in the supermarket today I picked up What Hi-Fi who seemed to have real problems with the 50PZ700 displaying 24P (not the PZ70 I might add) but was wondering if anybody can answer the following questions:

1 Has anybody got a 50PZ70 displaying 24P without problem - ie without juddering?
    2 Has anybody got a 50PZ70 that is juddering with 24p to a point where it is noticeable (I appreciate the difficulty in interpreting whether it is "bad" however)
    3 Reading the Viera brochure today online, I notice that the 50PZ70 states support for 1080P / 24, but this 24P compatibility is not listed against the PZ700 (hence perhaps why WHF had grief?). Has anybody had any communication with Panasonic about compatibility and what have they said?

In simplest terms, I need to know whether I can accept the TV on Tuesday and like my last Panny, have 5 years of enjoyment. I would be most annoyed if it arrived and then I discovered it was problematic.

I am sure I am covering old ground here but the rave reviews of the 50PZ70 are numerous - I just don't want to get a "bargain" that is unwatchable and end up replacing it (as I cant afford it!!!). I know there are a few units other than the Pioneers that state 24P compatibility (Sony, Tosh, etc)

In summary, can anybody give me some peace of mind that I am making the right decision before it's too late!!!

Thanks a million folks!

Palfers

2. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This has been covered a thousand times in countless threads. Use the search. However - no matter what you read it won't help you much because each person is different.

Some people swear they notice no judder on their PZ.
    Some (like me) notice only slight judder and it doesn't bother them and others say it ruins the experience for them.

If you can't organise one in a retailer maybe somebody local to you will offer....

3. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    The PZ70 does not support 24p. Even though the PS3/HD DVD/Blu Ray player will work in 24p mode, it is actually running at 60hz. I've read numerouos things about this set and according to the experts at What Hi-Fi, there is NO JUDDER, despite the fact it isn't even playing at 24,48,72Hz (24p). Don't let this put you off though. The set is very highly rated and is really, really good value for money. If you find that yours does judder then return the set. I believe you have 7 days to do this, then you can decide to keep it or send it back. I bet you'll want to keep it though!

4. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    To be fair, the PZ70 50 and 42 do "support" 24p.

They "support" and accept a 24Hz signal and display it at 60Hz.
    It could be supported better of course ... but that is not to say it is not supported at all.

and by all accounts, my own experience included, they do a very good, almost judder free job.

I believe the PZ700 models (which although more expensive are earlier models to the PZ70)... did not officialy "support" 24p. Although some owners seem to say they are equaly impressive at handling 24hz to the PZ70 ... some beleive that is maybe due to a firmware update at some point ?

Either way... I wouldn't worry about it regards to a 50PZ70.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Interesting to see you've posted this as there does seem to be some confusion over this set accepting full 1080P/24fps signal feeds, some say it does...some say it doesn't.
    What I can tell you tho is that IT DOESN'T!! I have one of these sets and I have fed it 1080P/24fps thru both blu-ray and HDdvd sources and the screen goes blank, it can't handle 24fps direct video source. However it does take a full 1080P signal but at a different frame rate plus it will upscale upto 1080P or 1080i and I have to tell you this......I don't think you'd notice if it was 1080p/24fps or 1080p/24hz or 60hz frame rates.....the picture this set produces from good sources is BRILLIANT!! Even with just its own DVB tuner I am not disappointed with its performance at all, I have compared it with the Sony's and the Pioneers....if I had more money to spend it would have been a Pioneer but there is no way I could justify the difference in price for what you get with the Panasonic in terms of picture quality

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was distracted when I started to write a post/ reply, when I'd finished the guys above had slipped in without me knowing......its as they state......and i agree with vipergrm.....you will want to keep it!! I've experienced no judder on my set other than trying to upscale a standard dvd too much for playback.....and thats not the PZ70's fault, more a case of setting the dvd upscaling resolution down to either 1080i or 720p.....which I think performs best btw

7. INDIE

INDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Hi,

Quick question at John Lewis - they had a TH-50ZP700 for a £ 1199.00 which I thought was a good buy and went for - Should I have walked away ?

Cheers

Indie.

8. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Just because it shows a picture when selecting 24p doesn't mean the TV supports it. The fact is, it does not. It is exactly the same as feeding a 1080p/60Hz signal. So it doesn't.

Regardless of this, What Hi-Fi had this set on display at their awards exhibition. At this stage, they actually thought that it DID support 24p. Apparently 1500 people visited the exhibition and not one of them noticed any judder at all on the PZ70. Don't let this put you off buying the set at all. It's still great value. Other owners here have already pointed out that it is virtually impossible to tell. I am just stating a fact.

;)

9. Palfers123

Palfers123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a million Vipergrm and other contributors. The comments are much appreciated and have given me the confidence to take delivery! I think I'll now move on from "what equipment to buy" and on to "how to get the best out of what I've got"...

Sadly this involves redecorating the living room, so once the Panny arrives and tests OK, it will sit in a box for the next few weekends whilst cans of Dulux are opened!!!

Cheers

10. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    We'll just have to beg to differ over your interpretation of the term " support " then.

In my book... the fact that the PZ70 models are very happy to accept a 1080/24p source and process it in such a competent way that, as per your own example, What's a Hifi mag thought it really was refreshing at a multiple of 24hz and 1500 other people didn't notice any judder etc etc etc ... means that it is not really fair to leave a factual statement on a forum saying that it does not "support" 24p when it clearly does.

If it did not "support" 24p it would either not display a picture or at least have some problems ... as the Op said... " What Hi-Fi who seemed to have real problems with the 50PZ700 displaying 24P (not the PZ70 I might add) " and goes on to say " I notice that the 50PZ70 states support for 1080P / 24, but this 24P compatibility is not listed against the PZ700 (hence perhaps why WHF had grief?) "

Kind of makes sense no ?

As I said... 'how' it supports it is another matter. It is absolutely true to say the PZ70 does not refresh at a multiple of 24hz so technicaly it can not deliver a perfectly judder free butter smooth panning image... but the PZ70 "supports" 24p well enough for it not to be a major issue for the vast majority of people. You could perhaps say it does not have 'full' or 'the best possible' support for displaying a 24p source.

I know it has been a grey area and cause of some confusion and conflicting views in past debates about the PZ70... but stating that it is simply a 'fact' that the PZ70 does not support 24p is too easily read as it not being able to handle a forced 1080/24fps source at all when it clearly does... is potentialy even more misleading for anyone scanning for info.... of which there are lots.

Is it not a bit like stating that a 'HD Ready' panel like a Pioneer 428XD does not "support" 1080p... reading that as gospel would very quickly put a lot of people off when the reality is that it quite happily "supports" processes and displays a 1080p source (though it may not technicaly display at the full resolution) and on top of that "support" for 1080p, many would agree that the resulting PQ is even better than the 'full HD' 1080p PQ on the PZ70.

11. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I totally appreciate what you are saying and I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble. If it supported 24p then Panasonic would advertise this, plus it would support the correct refresh rate. The display runs at 60Hz in this mode which we know. This makes it effectively pointless turning it on as it would be the same as playing it at 1080p/60Hz. That is the point I am trying to make. It is pointless to use it as it makes no difference.

I totally agree with your last point. People want a 1080p because they think it is necessary to enjoy HD at it's best. This is not at all true. In fact, 1080p sets are cheaper to manufacturer (at least LCDs are). It is all about video processing. That is the key :smashin:

12. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The 50PZ70 is £1,799 at JL, so if you got the 50PZ700 at £1,199 then you got a bargain.

What store was it?

13. SolefeverX

SolefeverX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 50PZ70 is only £1399 at Empire Direct. Bit of a rip off from JL :thumbsdow

14. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Yep, go for that. Great value! :smashin: