Panasonic 50PX8 from 50PX70

beduch

Standard Member
I need to replace 50px70, would a 50px8 be comparable. Is there a noticeable improvement in picture on sd or hd. I see there is no 50px80, it will be used with sky and ps3 distance from set is 12 feet

Julie

I need to replace 50px70, would a 50px8 be comparable. Is there a noticeable improvement in picture on sd or hd. I see there is no 50px80, it will be used with sky and ps3 distance from set is 12 feet
Do you really need to replace your 50px70 so soon, it can only be a year old at most! The 50PX70 still is a very capable & desirable TV for both SD & HD viewing.

The 50px8 is very comparable to the px70. Only 2 HDMIs, the PX80 range have 3. On another thread it was suggested the 50PX8 was merely a re-badged 50PX70 to bring it into this year's line-up & save the expense of developing a new 50" HD ready model. I do notice however it does boast the higher 15000:1 contrast ratio in common with the PX80 range, probably achieved with the on-board processing rather than a new panel. However, I'm not sure if the 50PX8 is available yet as I haven't heard any reports about it so whether there's a signifant improvement in picture quality would be just speculation. My guess would be no for what it's worth.

Jimb077

Novice Member
I do notice however it does boast the higher 15000:1 contrast ratio in common with the PX80 range, probably achieved with the on-board processing rather than a new panel.
Everything I've read on the PX8 says it doesnt even have that.....it only has 10000:1......like the PX70! It does, however, have the G11 panel as opposed to the G10 panel in the PX70! I don't know how much difference this would make tho!!

See this thread : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747606

The only reason I could see in getting a PX8 is if your PX70 was broken....even then I'd probably go for a different TV!! This topic annoys me as I'd probably go for a 50PX80 if Panasonic brought it out!!:mad::mad:

Julie

Everything I've read on the PX8 says it doesnt even have that.....it only has 10000:1......like the PX70!
You are right. The only place I had seen the PX8 specification previously was on Phil Hinton's link to the Panasonic 2008 Plasma line-up spreadsheet on this thread & this does specify 15000:1 native resolution, obviously an error. Checking on the UK Panasonic site does quote 10000:1 in the 50PX8 specification. Sorry.

beduch

Standard Member
:lease:Just seen a 50px8, in my opinion not a very attractive tv, certainly not as pleasing as the rest of the range in fact looks cheap. I spoke to Panasonic earlier and they confirmed there is no 50px80. Any thoughts on 50pz80 would it be an significant improvement over 50px70 and at what price do you estimate, anybody know when is it being released. Finally I have been offered a 50px70 for £830 inc delivery and 3 year warranty, is this worth having as I was very satisfied with old tv

Jimb077

Novice Member
Finally I have been offered a 50px70 for £830 inc delivery and 3 year warranty, is this worth having as I was very satisfied with old tv

Whats happened to your old TV? That seems like a good deal (£830).....wheres that from? The cheapest I can find a PX70 for is around £900 with just standard 1 yr warranty!

beduch

Standard Member
It`s a long story that I would not bore you with, price inc pedestal stand. Sorry I am not able to divulge supplier as this is the agreement for that price also they have none left so no point.
Thanks