1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 50PV500 - Any known issues?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darkl0rd1, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

My parents are looking at buying a new plasma and I'm slowly researching options for them. At this stage I'm leaning heavily towards a Panasonic Viera (either 42" or 50"), but am obviously a little concerned by the sheer amount of reported problems with the 42" panel at these forums. However I’ve been reading threads here long enough to come to the conclusion that most of these problems seem to be subjective, and come down to whether the individual user will notice them or not (i.e. dynamic contrast, visible line down the screen, buzzing noise etc). My parents aren’t the pickiest of videophiles so I'm guessing these issues won’t be a major problem for them.

What I'm more concerned about is whether the 50" PV500 has any unique problems of its own. There seems to be very little information here about it. Is there a good reason for this? Or do most people opt for the 42” solely for financial reasons? I live in Australia and the 50" is just about to come onto the market (the 42” was just released) so there is practically no information here about it yet. It will also take quite a while for it to show up in stores (and even then it’s had to properly evaluate a plasma in store) so I'm keen to get as much info about it as possible before its release. My parents are keen to buy ASAP so I need to move fairly quickly on this.

Are there any owners of the 50PV500 here? If so are you happy with your purchase? Does it share the same problems as the 42? (I’m guessing at the very least it would share the same auto contrast issue given it would use the same processing). More importantly does it have any separate problems of its own?

I’m also interested in whether you can get 1:1 pixel mapping on this plasma via the VGA input from a PC (for true 1:1 16x9 PC usage as my father is interested in this from his laptop).

If the 50" has any significant problems I may well recommend they stick with the 42" and save some money.

Thanks for your help.

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Hi,

I can't find the thread but some people found a problem specific to the 50'' model when playing certain DVD's.There seemed to be a weird pattern running across the middle of the image.Do a search on here as there were pictures posted showing the effect.

I presume it will have the same issues as the 42'' model with regard to buzzing and auto contrast.I've got a 42'' PV500 and I find these issues very trivial and it doesn't spoil what is an superb plasma.I've hooked my PC up to it and it looks fantastic but a bit dissapointing with the stretched 4:3 image, the 50'' model will look awesome in it's native resolution.

If you get it in time you'll be able to watch the Aussies lose the ashes on a lovely screen !!

3. Cummo

Cummo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice to see you guys talking about cricket again. It's even putting some interest back in it for us Aussies as well. :)

4. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. That sounds a bit concerning. I did a quick search then and couldn’t find the thread you are referring to. I notice you said "certain DVDs". So it would only pop up with some titles? That seems very strange.

I just knew it would be too easy for a plasma to be on the market without its own set of annoying problems. Arrgghh!! Guess it's back to the drawing board.

While they may bother me, they will also certainly be trivial or perhaps even unnoticed altogether by my parents. I’m prepared to take the risk with these particular problems.

The extra resolution and true 16x9 aspect ratio for 1:1 mapping are the two most appealing aspect to me of the 50". However if it’s got a serious problem with DVDs then it's instantly ruled out. Will have to look into this further.

Surely there must be some members here who own this screen that can shed some light on this screen?

I don’t like the sounds of that. Perhaps I'll tell them to hold off on purchasing until after the Ashes ;)

5. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump!

Surely someone here must own the 50" PV500 that can comment?

6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im sure the fujitsu 50" XHA40US is available, Darklord, so if your people dont need a TV, its the one to get. It suffers some visual minor visual defects (other users have reported banding and slight ranibowing) but is essentially a problem-free screen, albeit at a cost. With DVD it is absolutely superb. With HD it is mindblowing. With terrestrial or digital TV it is decent.
    The remote needs hiding away and would look cheap with a $20 DVD player.

7. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh - and theyre just about to launch a TV version with a separate media box, apparently.

8. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pat but the price of the Fujitsu instantly rules it out. We're talking a difference of several thousand dollars :(

9. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Darklord,

go for the Viera, I've got the 42'' model and it's superb.Mine buzzes (but no more than my 100hz CRTdid) and I can notice the auto-contrast (I even like this feature) but they are very trivial and in no way make me regret buying it.

Honestly, when you buy it and see the wonderful PQ you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.As I mentioned in my first post I'd read about a few problems when displaying certain DVD's but this will affect every plasma in some way.

IMO the Viera can't be beaten with regard to Cost Vs PQ and any less popular sets would have more problems than the PV500. It's just the PV500's issues are well documented on here because it is so popular and everyone seems to want one.Also you have to take into account that some forum users will post complaints about things they don't own or have never even seen that's forums for you.

10. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prices seem to be fixed for the Pioneer pdp506xde at a reasonable £3399!

Seems a bargain if the specs add up.

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Now that is a bargain.

12. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does that compare to the price of the 50PV500 in the UK? I really like the look of the new Pioneer series, but unfortunately it looks like they won’t be out in Australia until next year. Going by past trends they will also be a lot more expensive than in the US and UK (we get truly shafted when it comes to AV markups due to very high taxes and import duties). To give you an idea what I mean the current Pioneer 435 is $6999AUS and the 505 $8999AUS.

13. Darkl0rd1

Darkl0rd1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That all makes sense Korum. Thanks for the advice. If it looks good when I finally get a chance to view one in store, it's still looking like the best option.